Houston In The 1950s

Ashikaga

Someone posted an aerial photo of Gulfgate Shopping Center taken many years ago. I read that the center opened back in 1956.

If you look at that photo, you will see mostly vacant land on Woodridge. I remember when I lived near there (1962-64) that Globe Department Store and a car dealership was on that street, but you can't see them on that photo. So I deduce that that photo was taken either in the late 1950s or in the very early 1960s before those two businesses were built.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I to saw that aerial photo and noticed the same thing, I lived in the Gulfgate Village Apartments from around 1961 to 1978, my Dad took slides back then and somewhere I have a slide of me at the crawling age before I could walk, and the Globe store is on fire in the background. There were some old fire trucks, and the firemen spraying water on the building, my mom use to tell me it almost burnt to the ground. So that was sometime around January 1962.

I almost forgot, I was wondering if anyone had a picture of the sign for the Gulfgate Village Apartments or any pictures of that area back around the 50's 60's 70's, I was going to dig out the pictures I have (not a whole lot that just have buildings or signage) and try to scan some, the slides that my dad had are going to be harder to scan. My scanner doesn't have the ability to scan slides, but I have a friend that says he has a scanner that does, so it will take longer to get those on here. So far the pictures I have seen brought back lots of memories I hope more people will post more pictures. I am sure there are pictures of everthing in that area, just finding them tucked away somewhere or at a family members house. My friend said he had seen a book that had lots of pictures of Gulfgate's opening day.

I almost forgot, I was wondering if anyone had a picture of the sign for the Gulfgate Village Apartments or any pictures of that area back around the 50's 60's 70's, I was going to dig out the pictures I have (not a whole lot that just have buildings or signage) and try to scan some, the slides that my dad had are going to be harder to scan. My scanner doesn't have the ability to scan slides, but I have a friend that says he has a scanner that does, so it will take longer to get those on here. So far the pictures I have seen brought back lots of memories I hope more people will post more pictures. I am sure there are pictures of everthing in that area, just finding them tucked away somewhere or at a family members house. My friend said he had seen a book that had lots of pictures of Gulfgate's opening day.

Yes, I also hope to find some pictures. Back then, we went to the Winkler Drive-In Theatre which was located on the corner of Winkler Drive and Flowers Street. For over a year now I've been hoping to find someone who has a photo of it.

• 5 months later...
I have a slide of me at the crawling age before I could walk, and the Globe store is on fire in the background. There were some old fire trucks, and the firemen spraying water on the building, my mom use to tell me it almost burnt to the ground. So that was sometime around January 1962.

ok, i remember a FedMart as well. When was that there?

• 1 month later...

ok, i remember a FedMart as well. When was that there?

[/quote

Last week I met a guy that was in my Kindergarten class at Park Place Elementary School. I knew that Gulfgate was renovated and converted into a mall, but he said that it was "ironic" that it was turned into a "strip" mall. I've heard the term "strip" mall before, but I don't understand exactly what it is. Could someone explain to me in layman's language what the difference is between a "regular" mall and a "strip" mall?

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Folks,

I have some stuff from a 50s house we redid. They would be great if you are doing a period remodel.

Pink Toilet, Pink Sink, Pink Bathtub and a White Sink.

I put them up on Craigslist.

Pink Toilet

Pink Bathtub

Pink Sink

White Sink

And no, these were not in a MOD that we remuddled :)

Flipper

Well I'm sure by now they've already sold quickly for top dollar....

• 4 months later...
Yes, I also hope to find some pictures. Back then, we went to the Winkler Drive-In Theatre which was located on the corner of Winkler Drive and Flowers Street. For over a year now I've been hoping to find someone who has a photo of it.

Everything but the Winkler

txti45d01.jpg

I-45 Drive In

txtmcle05.jpg

McLendon Tri-plex Drive-In

txtmcle04.jpg

txtshar01.jpg

txtshar02.jpg

txtshar03.jpg

Sharpstown Drive-In

txtshep02.jpg

Shepherd Drive-In

txtsou501.jpg

South Main Drive in

txttele09.jpg

Telephone Rd Drive-In

• 1 year later...

Danny L. Williams, currently living in Hereford, Arizona, graduated from Spring Branch High School in 1958, then attended Texas A & M. Shirley A. Williams graduated from Spring Branch in 1963, graduated from Stephen F. Austin in 1968, then taught Home Economics at Spring Branch Jr. High for three years. Danny would like to know of any plans for a 50th reunion of class of 58.

Danny L. Williams, currently living in Hereford, Arizona, graduated from Spring Branch High School in 1958, then attended Texas A & M. Shirley A. Williams graduated from Spring Branch in 1963, graduated from Stephen F. Austin in 1968, then taught Home Economics at Spring Branch Jr. High for three years. Danny would like to know of any plans for a 50th reunion of class of 58.

If you aren't already using it, http://www.classmates.com/profile/home.htmlwould be a better place to look for this information.

If there is to be a reunion, the information would usually be posted on your high school alumni site. There doesn't appear to be anything about a reunion for your class mentioned there, but you could use the contact link to ask.

This looked like a good hopping off place for info on reunions

Spring Branch Alumni Web Site

Everything but the Winkler

txti45d01.jpg

I-45 Drive In

txtmcle05.jpg

McLendon Tri-plex Drive-In

txtmcle04.jpg

txtshar01.jpg

txtshar02.jpg

txtshar03.jpg

Sharpstown Drive-In

txtshep02.jpg

Shepherd Drive-In

txtsou501.jpg

South Main Drive in

txttele09.jpg

Telephone Rd Drive-In

If kids road the merry-go-round and the train at night while the movie was playing, how could anyone hear what was being said on the screen?

Every car took a speaker from a pole they parked next to and hung it on their window. The sound did not come from the screen as in indoor movie theatres. Later incarnations of the Drive In would play the sound on a radio frequency and you could tune your car radio to the designated station on your dial and you could get sound through your car radio.

Stephen F Austin had a "all classes" that graduated reunion about 7 years ago and then did it again about 2 years ago or so I heard. I went to the one about 7 yrs ago and they had a big celebration and announced every class that graduated over the last 65 plus years! Most of the teachers from past and present were on hand too! (getting choked up, tears)

It was neat as they mentioned each year all the groups of graduates stood up and shouted! Our loyal mascot "Stevie" the Mustang was running around during the hoopla.

Super Fine in 79! :D

Every car took a speaker from a pole they parked next to and hung it on their window. The sound did not come from the screen as in indoor movie theatres. Later incarnations of the Drive In would play the sound on a radio frequency and you could tune your car radio to the designated station on your dial and you could get sound through your car radio.

Yes, the last time I went to a drive-in theatre was in 1984 when I was in college in Arkansas. It was called an "autoscope." (This one showed only x-rated movies). There were individual screens arranged in a circle. You would select a screen, park in front of it, and tune your car radio to the station that was posted at the entrance.

If not a regular drive-in theatre, I wonder if an autoscope drive-in theatre would do well in Houston?

If not a regular drive-in theatre, I wonder if an autoscope drive-in theatre would do well in Houston?

No way,

They would shoot out the screens and tag all over them. Society is no longer civilized. No Drive-In's could ever be the way they used to be. Insurance would be too expensive then owners would have to hire security (like Fort Knox).

People are just too insane. :wacko:

Archived