Where To Eat In Houston?

RyanJX5

If you want a burrito to go.  I recommend Chipotle at the Rice Lofts.  Anybody agree.  Eventhough they have them all around town.

Sorry, man, gotta put Chipotle as the worst burrito value around. Mission or Freebirds have WAY more varieties of tortillas, fillings, and hot sauces. Chipotle is just some McDonalds-owned chain.

Sorry dude.  But Pappasittos is the LAST place I would take anyone.  It lacks the ethnic feel completely.  Bascially, it's as though Disney decided to create a "Mexican" restuarant, and this is what it would look and feel like.  And the food is pretty freaking far from authentic.  Its taco bell with a touch of Seigfried and Roy.  Heck, if you like this place, then you probably also like "Cafe Adobe" on Westhiermer:  I couldnt believe how un-authentic Cafe Adobe was, given all the rave reviews that place gets.  I didnt see one Latino in the place, except for me of course.  Anyways, yea, those places make you feel like youre in the Montrose and in a sophisticated setting, but the food was marginal at best.

Here are the places I like.  No one else has to like them.  But I do and so here they are:

1.  Doneraki's at Gulf Gate: The food is marginally good, but the atmosphere is great.  It feels like Mexico.  And, its right in the middle of the Latino community on the southeast side.

2.  Aguas Calientes:  There are several in town, but I know the one on Edgebrook has some of the best food in town.  For example, you can order enchiladas either Tex-Mex style or "Mexico" style.  If its the food that is important, this is good stuff.  But it doesnt have the atmosphere of Montrose.  But then, most of the east end doesnt either.

2.  Ninfas on Navigation.  If you dont mind a slightly rought part of town.  The food is authentic Tex-Mex.

3.  Taqueria Del Sol: On Broadway and 45.  Again, its very authentic and where real Latinos go, and it doesnt feel like the Rice Village.  There is always a cop standing by around the parking lot.  Eitherway.  The "Caldo de Rez" is the best in town.

Its still the best food I have ever had... "to each man his own".

Its still the best food I have ever had... "to each man his own".

Lets just agree to dissagree. Sorry. I just HAD to use that cheesy phrase at least once! Speaking of cheese, I was in the Rice Village, had a bite at "Mi Luna", enjoyed my walks around the different shops....and then.....I ran up against that disgusting drive through banking establishment right on University and Morningside. It sticks out way out of place there. At least the CVS in Midtown has some continuity with it's neigbors. The bank I'm talking about really sucks.

Gorditas Aguascalientes are DA BOMB. I prefer the one on the northside. Has a better atmosphere. You better know some Spanish though or you might feel totally lost (which, in my mind, adds to the place). These places are my favorite Mexican.

Mission Burritos are better than Chipotle, but I do hate to admit that for a big chain, Chiptole makes a damn good guacamole.

Here are my other faves by cuisine/region/time...

SEAFOOD- Tony Mandola's Gulf Coast Kitchen on West Gray. A blue-haired institution.

STEAK- Flemings. Packed Place. Crazy Scene. Buttery steaks. Flemings potatoes are to die for and probably will take at least 50 days off of your lifespan.

MEXICAN- Gorditas Aguascalientes (see above)

FINE DINING- Cafe Annie. Does Houston proud.

ASIAN- looking for a favorite place. Any recs?

LATE NIGHT- Mai's on Milam. Ga-Luc-Lac is my staple along with the tofu and onions dish.

LATE NIGHT WESTSIDE- Chacho's. Cheap and tasty.

SUNDAY BRUNCH- Brennan's old school in midtown.

DRIVE THRU- Beck's Prime

FRIED CHICKEN- Frenchy's on Scott St. near TSU. A UH tailgater favorite.

LUNCH SCENE- Eatzi's Market. I dig the sandwich line.

JUST GOT DUMPED- James Coneys all the way and chili cheese fries to go

I wonder if anyone else has been to Eva's Mexican food resturaunt? I have been going there for six years and don't plan changing. I have visited numerous mexican food palces from Conroe to Houston and have not found anyplace which could even remotely compare to Eva's. They own the world in their two salsas. I have been to places where the green salsa tastes like ground up bell peppers and the red salsa tastes like picante salsa out of the jar. Eva's has great food and a great atmosphere. To my opinion no one is better. it is located off of Kuykendahl just north of 1960.

I wonder if anyone else has been to Eva's Mexican food resturaunt?  I have been going there for six years and don't plan changing.  I have visited numerous mexican food palces from Conroe to Houston and have not found anyplace which could even remotely compare to Eva's.  They own the world in their two salsas.  I have been to places where the green salsa tastes like ground up bell peppers and the red salsa tastes like picante salsa out of the jar.  Eva's has great food and a great atmosphere.  To my opinion no one is better.  it is located off of Kuykendahl just north of 1960.

Welcome to the forum new major! :)

I have heard both good and bad about Mia Bella (italian), its right on main street where all the action is.

Oh, man... I have to plug Mia Bella, since it was barely mentioned. It is my favorite restaurant, hands down. Good food, good service, great atmosphere, and reasonable prices. I call it "italian with a twist." I have been there numerous times and have NEVER had a bad experience. The best night to go is Wednesday for $2 tapas & drinks. Try the mushroom streudel or the grilled calamari - yum! Mia Bella survived all the construction, and stayed true to themselves even through Superbowl, unlike some other restaurants downtown (*cough* Bossa *cough*). I heart Mia Bella.

Sambuca's is a good choice - food is great, and you can't beat the atmosphere. A nice place for a date or a pre-ballet meal. There's always a jazz band of some sort playing. Last Saturday, some Houston Symphony members stopped by and asked if they could play onstage, and they were great.

There's also Mantra on Main, which has a very unique atmosphere and a cool place to hang out - from the live grass covered entryway, to the cushy lounge chairs out on the porch. Great sushi, too.

I used to like Bossa a lot, but they changed their menu and attitude around Superbowl, and it's way too overrun with Bachelorette Parties, rude service, and overpriced food on Sat nights.

Also, Saba's food is great and very unique, but their service is spotty. Great atmosphere though. If you're going to go, go early (before 8) for better service.

Oh, man... I have to plug Mia Bella, since it was barely mentioned.  It is my favorite restaurant, hands down.  Good food, good service, great atmosphere, and reasonable prices.  I call it "italian with a twist."  I have been there numerous times and have NEVER had a bad experience.  The best night to go is Wednesday for $2 tapas & drinks.  Try the mushroom streudel or the grilled calamari - yum!  Mia Bella survived all the construction, and stayed true to themselves even through Superbowl, unlike some other restaurants downtown (*cough* Bossa *cough*).  I heart Mia Bella.

Can you tell me more or less what the range of prices are for dinner at Mia Bella?

Thanks.

New restaurant in the Sterling Ridge area of the Woodlands:

Mi Luna

Spanish food, not Mexican (think tapas, not chips and salsa)

Food for grownups (Thurs., Fri., Sat. nites also include live entertainment and dancing) no booster seats here

Chef type food, not Sysco thaw and serve

Owned by same guy who owns the one in Rice Village

Fantastic sangria too

Menu offerings I have personally tried so far: mussels, escargot, beef tenderloins, smoked salmon and lady fingers

Menu offerings that I have yet to see elsewhere in the area: oxtail, fish balls, squid, brie, manchengo cheese, pears poached in Port, beef empanadas, seafood pizza, paella

A bit pricey but worth it and a lot of fun

Great date type restaurant since you will be sharing the food

Only been open three weeks so far, best restaurant out here, IMHO...

New restaurant in the Sterling Ridge area of the Woodlands:

Mi Luna

Spanish food, not Mexican (think tapas, not chips and salsa)

Food for grownups (Thurs., Fri., Sat. nites also include live entertainment and dancing) no booster seats here

Chef type food, not Sysco thaw and serve

Owned by same guy who owns the one in Rice Village

Fantastic sangria too

Menu offerings I have personally tried so far: mussels, escargot, beef tenderloins, smoked salmon and lady fingers

Menu offerings that I have yet to see elsewhere in the area: oxtail, fish balls, squid, brie, manchengo cheese, pears poached in Port, beef empanadas, seafood pizza, paella

A bit pricey but worth it and a lot of fun

Great date type restaurant since you will be sharing the food

Only been open three weeks so far, best restaurant out here, IMHO...

What are fish balls? :huh:

Has anybody tried Teotijuacan on Cavalcade and Irvington? It gets my vote for best Mexican food. They have another location on Airline, but the original is slightly better. It is awesome and dirt cheap. Of course the place looks like a hell-hole, but the food is great!!

I have been to the one on Airline a couple of times. It was pretty good, but nothing special. I wasn't too woried about the sanitary condition of the place, though. I figgered that if the color of the building didn't make me sick, then nothing would.

Archived