Where To Eat In Houston?

RyanJX5

Im going to Houston in about 2 weeks to take one of my friends and a few other

people out for her b-day. Im from Longview,TX which is in northeast TX, Im

come to Houston when ever I have a the chance. What restaurant would you

take someone to especially if they never really been to Houston. Its going to be

on a Sat night, I was thinking about somewhere downtown since its one the

best places to be on a sat night in Houston. Where should I take them?

cool, i hope you enjoy your stay here.

the question is, what kind of food do you have in mind? downtown has alot of good places, but range from greasy spoons (most of which are surprisingly good) to chinese, to steak places.

If you tell us what kind of food you'd have in mind, we'd be more than happy to give you a selection. with the kind of opinions we have about food around here, we'd give you an excellent selection to pick from.

Ricco

Artista gets great reviews it seems. I havent been there so I dont know. But thats a good bet. If youre not in the market for fancy pancy, but rather a regular place, one of my favourites downtown is Market Square Bar and Grill.

I have heard both good and bad about Mia Bella (italian), its right on main street where all the action is.

Of course, there is all the chain stuff, but in downtown, I can only think of the Hard Rock.

I wasnt all that impressed with the Aquariams sea food. Its a great lookking place, but I thought I got way better seafood for the price at Papadeux in Kemah. Of course, thats not downtown.

Good luck.

mia bella is excellent but the service is not always great.

saba blue water cafe is also on main and serves up latin/caribbean style fusion dishes for just about any palette. saba

if you're feeling adventurous find a vietnamese restaurant in midtown (my fave is van loc at 3010 milam).

Well, now that I have read the first post fully, I would say Saba Blue Water Cafe, if the Saturday falls on a Rockets game, I would go to Red and White Bistro inside the Toyota Center. There are also some nice restaurants in the Hilton Americas. Skyline Grill has an amazing view of the skyline, especially at night. Mingalone's Italian Bar and Grill is pretty good also.

If you are oin a budget, in downtown I would recommend Hard Rock Cafe, Bossa(Latin and Cuban Food), St Pete's Dancing Marlin, or Live Sports Cafe(if you are in to that kind of thing.)

WOW!

I knew I could get a response from all of you, thanx for all the great tips.

Longview tends to favor Dallas more than Houston since it is closer, but Houston

just excites me alot more. I remember when I was little my aunt and mom would

take me to Neimans at the galleria and buy me some toys while they bought the lastest gucci and louis vuitton back in the 80s. We are going to see the Ballet in Dec and a Rockets game. Next weekend Ill be in town, Does anyone know anything about Sambuca's or 17 at Sam Houston? I have family that lives in Clear Lake so Im down here any chance I get. Im also taking them to River Oaks I have a couple of friends that live on Chevy Chase. What is the best Mexican restaurant i n Houston? , Ive recieved so many opinions, I want something that is aunthentic and has a great atmosphere.

WOW!

I knew I could get a response from all of you, thanx for all the great tips.

Longview tends to favor Dallas more than Houston since it is closer, but Houston

just excites me alot more. I remember when I was little my aunt and mom would

take me to Neimans at the galleria and buy me some toys while they bought the  lastest gucci and louis vuitton back in the 80s. We are going to see the Ballet in  Dec and a Rockets game. Next weekend Ill be in town, Does anyone know  anything about Sambuca's or 17 at Sam Houston? I have family that lives in Clear Lake so Im down here any chance I get. Im also taking them to River Oaks I have a couple of friends that live on Chevy Chase. What is the best Mexican restaurant  i n Houston? , Ive recieved so many opinions, I want something that is aunthentic and has a great atmosphere.

La Mexicana on Montrose.

3 Resteraunts...

Fogo De Chao

Papasitos

Papadeaux's

*Tear* The Capital Grill!

Sorry dude. But Pappasittos is the LAST place I would take anyone. It lacks the ethnic feel completely. Bascially, it's as though Disney decided to create a "Mexican" restuarant, and this is what it would look and feel like. And the food is pretty freaking far from authentic. Its taco bell with a touch of Seigfried and Roy. Heck, if you like this place, then you probably also like "Cafe Adobe" on Westhiermer: I couldnt believe how un-authentic Cafe Adobe was, given all the rave reviews that place gets. I didnt see one Latino in the place, except for me of course. Anyways, yea, those places make you feel like youre in the Montrose and in a sophisticated setting, but the food was marginal at best.

Here are the places I like. No one else has to like them. But I do and so here they are:

1. Doneraki's at Gulf Gate: The food is marginally good, but the atmosphere is great. It feels like Mexico. And, its right in the middle of the Latino community on the southeast side.

2. Aguas Calientes: There are several in town, but I know the one on Edgebrook has some of the best food in town. For example, you can order enchiladas either Tex-Mex style or "Mexico" style. If its the food that is important, this is good stuff. But it doesnt have the atmosphere of Montrose. But then, most of the east end doesnt either.

2. Ninfas on Navigation. If you dont mind a slightly rought part of town. The food is authentic Tex-Mex.

3. Taqueria Del Sol: On Broadway and 45. Again, its very authentic and where real Latinos go, and it doesnt feel like the Rice Village. There is always a cop standing by around the parking lot. Eitherway. The "Caldo de Rez" is the best in town.

My favorite Mexican are (in no particular order):

Chuy's on Kirby: Our Sunday recovery place...very Tex-Mex with great creamy jalapeno salsa.

Ninfa's on Navigation: The place that started it all, the best in the whole chain in my opinion.

El Tiemp Cantina (richmond near buffalo speedway): I like the fajitas here. It was started by part of the Ninfa clan independently.

La Mexicana (Montrose at Fairview): good greasy Mexican when you are in the mood for that.

Hugo's (Westheimer near the antique shops) - Very formal Mexican and current holder of Houston Press "Best Mexican".

Little Pappasitos (Richmond @ Kirby): very touristy Mexican, love the fajitas.

Lupe Tortillas (southwest freeway near Academy): good all around place, usually crowded.

Chacho's (Westheimer near Fountainview): Although I usually don't leave the loop, if I happen to be in the area I go here. Good, low cost food. Very fresh.

There are others, but these are my most frequented. There are tons of choices here in Houston.

Archived