Sakowitz Department Store At 1111 Main St.

citykid09

If I remember correctly, the Sakowitz at Champions Village had Sakowitz II on the sign. Some sort of "junior version" of their bigger stores. The 1960 area wasn't yet developed enough to support a full size store apparently. There was also a Leopold Price & Rolle (sp?) in the center and Wilson's where the Stein-Mart is now. Back then I thought I was some kind of fancy with my Sakowitz velour shirts. Thank God there is no surviving photographic evidence of that episode.....

Wow! What wonderful memories you have all provided me. I am a native Houstonian (such a rare breed) and grew up shopping Downtown Sakowitz and Gulfgate Sakowitz the two most fashionable stores at that time. I remember when they built the new Post Oak store. Truly enjoyed your memories of Battlestein's, Joske's, Leopold, Price & Rolle (sp is ok). I loved Sakowitz so much that in college I majored in business to become a buyer for Sakowitz. I started the executive training program while working at the Gulfgate store as a college student.

Back then, I am 55, we would never have shopped at Foley's or Palais Royal except for everyday clothes.

Times do change.

Besselman Collector

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know anything about the reestablishment of retail in the old Sakowitz store at the corner of Main and Dallas? There has been a sign in the window from one of the clothing chains (I dont remember which one, but the babe in the picture is hot).

It is too bad that the building was turned into a parking garage, but it is odd that it wasn't torn down, given Houston's propensity for doing just that.

Anyone know anything about the reestablishment of retail in the old Sakowitz store at the corner of Main and Dallas? There has been a sign in the window from one of the clothing chains (I dont remember which one, but the babe in the picture is hot).

It is too bad that the building was turned into a parking garage, but it is odd that it wasn't torn down, given Houston's propensity for doing just that.

They just signed two more retailer's to the Sakowitz building. The conversion will be part of the Houston Pavillion. The project is a go! I love that building and I am very happy to see it return to a retail store, it is a shame that the interior was gutted for a parking garage though a few years back.

They just signed two more retailer's to the Sakowitz building. The conversion will be part of the Houston Pavillion. The project is a go! I love that building and I am very happy to see it return to a retail store, it is a shame that the interior was gutted for a parking garage though a few years back.

so what are the two retailers?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
From a business perspective, American Apparel seems like a concept who's time is limited.

Their look is all "emo". And "emo" is on its way out.

American Apparell is 'emo'? Since when? All of their clothes (besides the jogging suits) are 70's tennis disco. Emo's wear girl pants (both sexes), have skunk hair cuts, and listen to the worst music ever.

*edit*

American Apparel also owns Wish (next to the Buffalo Exchange) and DUO (in the Galleria Mall). Thats club/homo clothes, not emo.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, let's consider it was 1963, no strong civil rights movement yet. Looking at the time of year these pictures were taken, if it is indeed 1963, it is well before November, and Kennedy is still president. Civil rights movement is just beginning to heat up. There is one astonishing factor though, I believe the Sakowitz family is Jewish, why they would fly that flag is beyond me. I guess they knew their customer base. LOL ! :blink::mellow::D

To be historically accurate, 1963 was actually at the height of the civil rights movement. That was the year of Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech during the March on Washington, the year when the 4 little girls were killed in that bombing of a Birmingham church, and the year when George Wallace made his famous stand on the steps of the University of Alabama asserting his support of segregation.

Leading up to that year, the Brown vs. Board of Education Supreme Court decision was in 1954, Rosa Parks had her bus incident in 1955, the "Little Rock Nine" entered school in 1957, and the first lunch-counter sit-in protest in Greensboro, North Carolina was in 1960.

The flying of the Confederate battle flag in the South was not exactly meaningless at that time. Indeed, Georgia added that Confederate symbol to its state flag in 1956, partly as a reaction what was happening nationally, even though the symbol was not part of its state flag before then:

http://www.sos.state.ga.us/museum/html/geo...c_1920_1956.htm

http://www.sos.state.ga.us/museum/html/geo..._since_1956.htm

I agree that the Sakowitz store probably was primarily playing up to their customer base at the time....but flying that flag in 1963 was a strong statement, nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...

Do anyone know where these early mostly Jewish merchants lived during the heyday of their stores? A friend of mine is certain they were all segregated into the Riverside area along North and South Macgregor, and that family members of the Sakowitz, Battlesteins and even the Weingarten family still have mansions in this area, all because members of their religion were not permitted in River Oaks no matter how rich they were!. Any one know if this is true or not true?

[ quote name=DMac' date='Thursday, April 27th, 2006 @ 11:25am' post='83256]

I acknowledge that Music Hall {& Coliseum} were both built @ the same time but the strange thing is that it {Music Hall} is not recognized nor listed for the 1946-47 issue of Morrison's & Fourmy's Houston City Directory. The Coliseum is however. I have searched several catagories in classified section and white pages both w/same negative results. But I know it was there because in my youth I went by it {& old fire station 2 w/4 bays on the north side} many, many times coming in/out of the downtown area.

Danny Mac

Do anyone know where these early mostly Jewish merchants lived during the heyday of their stores? A friend of mine is certain they were all segregated into the Riverside area along North and South Macgregor, and that family members of the Sakowitz, Battlesteins and even the Weingarten family still have mansions in this area, all because members of their religion were not permitted in River Oaks no matter how rich they were!. Any one know if this is true or not true?

[

true they lived there. i just remember robert sakowitz on river oaks blvd but i think he lost the house.

...and that family members of the Sakowitz, Battlesteins and even the Weingarten family still have mansions in this area...

The Weingarten's and Sakowitz's did live on S. MacGregor long ago. I doubt the families still own any property there now. The Battelstein's lived across the street from an old school friend of mine, in the 40's -50's, in a neighborhood just southwest of the Greenbriar and S. Main intersection.

I have pretty good information indicating that the Sakowitz family lived on the 3500 block of North McGregor Drive during the 1950s/60s. I have no idea whether any family members are still there, or whether they still own that home.

From the 1966 Cole's Directory:

Bernard Sakowitz

Robert T. Sakowitz

3533 Mac Gregor Way North

(About this time, I believe the house was demolished and apartments built on the site. According to the movie, This Is Our Home, It Is Not For Sale, the senior Sakowitz couple moved to a high-rise apartment near Tanglewood.)

Bernard Weingarten

4000 Mac Gregor Way South

• 1 month later...

I saw a car inside the building when I walked by last weekend, so it doesn't look like they have done much.. yet. I bet they are trying to time it to open with the Houston Pavilions.

The two Sakowitz children are alive and well. Robert Sakowitz and his sister, Lynn Wyatt, are both active in the social scene. Lynn is married to Oscar Wyatt who founded Coastal Corp. He has been charged with paying illegal kickbacks to Iraqi officials as part of a scheme to circumvent the United Nation's oil-for-food program in 2001.

On page A18 in today's Houston Chronicle there's an ad where Sakowitz Furs will store women's fur coats for the summer months in their "state of the art, humidity controlled, COLD storage vaults, out of harm's way." Are any of you going to take advantage of this service?

On page A18 in today's Houston Chronicle there's an ad where Sakowitz Furs will store women's fur coats for the summer months in their "state of the art, humidity controlled, COLD storage vaults, out of harm's way." Are any of you going to take advantage of this service?

I doubt there are many "ladies who lunch" on this forum, but you never know! :P

northbeaumont,

Just curious... Were you formerly Ashikaga?

I love that this thread has been resurrected. As most know I tend to be nostalgic.

I am surprised by the number of people on this site that shopped at Sakowitz. Maybe we were poorer than I thought. We did shop at Joskey

The first job I had after college graduation was in the Sakowitz advertising department. It was in the basement of the downtown store. I lasted for about a year and a half. Oh, I could tell you amazing stories about that place and its owners and the people who worked and shopped there, but I would be sued for slander, defamation of character and who knows what else!

In another life, I shopped at all of Houston's upscale stores - Sakowitz, Neiman's, Esther Wolf, Everitt-Buelow, Frost Bros., Lord & Taylor ( I've never really liked Saks 5th Avenue or boutiques). My mother stored her furs in the Sakowitz cold-storage vault. When I was maid of honor in a cousin's wedding, I hostessed the bridesmaid's luncheon at the Sakowitz Sky Terrace restaurant. My family was middle-class, but knew that buying cheap clothes, furniture, etc., that didn't last was throwing money away.

Obviously your idea of middle class and mine are different. My mom never had a fur coat. We never had expensive cloths and new furniture...because that was considered thowing money away. But we had nice things and never did without things we needed.

• 2 weeks later...
This should test out a few memories.

anyone remember 'globe' dept. stores? If memory serves me correct it was the poor man's weiners.

Ricco

yea there was one across from what is now Pasadena Town Square, when it was just the stand alone Foley's.....

I remember also going to a store as a very small todler called GEMCO, i think it was like a pre-Sam's thing you had have a membership to get in.

Archived