Sakowitz Department Store At 1111 Main St.

citykid09

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is also an American Apperal going into Montrose.

according to the website, 1665 Westheimer. Opening "spring 2006" so they'd better get their butts in gear.

I think this would be the building which used to be the Futon Factory (SE corner of Westheimer/Dunlavy)

Should be quite a little trendy addition to the Buffalo Exchange and other various resale shops in the neighborhood. If I had one of those little flavored ice carts, I'd make tracks over there this summer. Lots of thirsty teens will be crowding the streets.

If so, then I take back what I said. No way they would build two stores so close to each other.

Even though the company started in Downtown LA there are two locations in LA's DT and their cbd is not even known to be a retail magnet.

Even though the company started in Downtown LA there are two locations in LA's DT and their cbd is not even known to be a retail magnet.

Cool. I also noticed that two of their San Francisco locations are closer together than the planned Main Street location would be to the planned Montrose location.

If so, then I take back what I said. No way they would build two stores so close to each other.

Like the Starbucks a block away from the Starbucks in Midtown, or the Starbucks across the street from Starbucks on W Gray and Shepherd? :P

A t-shirt store has a lot less overhead and draw than, say, a Ferrari dealership. Go where the customers are!

These are basically t-shirt stores, and would fit in anywhere there's other retail businesses. I see no reason that both stores couldn't prosper here.

i'm glad that they're still trying to do business in Houston but i will be slightly disappointed if they don't open up downtown. The renderings that were presented made the area on Dallas and Main look very trendy and exciting. Oh well, Montrose is better than nothing at all.

i'm glad that they're still trying to do business in Houston but i am slightly disappointed that they're not opening up downtown. The renderings that were presented made the area on Dallas and Main look very trendy and exciting. Oh well, Montrose is better than nothing at all.

This is how rumors get started.

There's no reason to believe that AA isn't still in the works for downtown, even if the Montrose branch opens earlier. Each site has its own considerations. Be patient.

This is how rumors get started. There's no reason to believe that AA isn't still in the works for downtown, even if the Montrose branch opens earlier. Each site has its own considerations. Be patient.

Hopefully none of us here are still in Junior High so there's really no need to start rumors. I've edited my post so it wouldn't sound as like it was a " fact" when really i was stating my "opinion". My fault!

Also, on the website I could have sworn that they listed the Main St store as "coming soon." But now the Montrose location is the only one listed as on its way.

And i guess i really did assume that it wasn't opening on Main based on this statement made earlier. I guess i shouldn't assume because... you know what they say!!! :P

Right across the street from HP.

In front of the soon to be Macy's (soon to be defunct Foley's).

I hope they still open up in Downtown I really don't like the idea of having one in Montrose I would have like it better in The Galleria or in Memorial City. The Downtown location will be nice even better than Dallas' Mockingbird store in my opinion and the fact that the soon to be Macy's and Downtown Pavilions will be near by, just will make downtown a real shopping destination. Now I know people aren't really fans of Abercrombie & Fitch but that be sweet!! If they will open up near American Apparel.

I like the idea of having it in Montrose and am glad it is not going in the Galleria or Memorial City Mall. This is exactly what needs to start happening for there to be more "retail" districts in Houston. AA has a reputation of choosing unconventional locations for their stores. Just look at their website, in most cities, their locations are not in a traditional indoor mall. In addition, some people complain that the Galleria is really the only place to shop. Montrose is getting more and more non chain boutique stores and this will fit in nicely, even if it is a chain.

Thank you.

For what?? Well the only reason I said I would have liked American Apparel in The Galleria or Memorial City was because atleast in a shopping mall you'll have more than one store. I'm not really familiar with where in Montrose this store will be located, is there any other stores close to there? I will admit I would have wanted for downtown to open American Apparel first.

For what?? Well the only reason I said I would have liked American Apparel in The Galleria or Memorial City was because atleast in a shopping mall you'll have more than one store. I'm not really familiar with where in Montrose this store will be located, is there any other stores close to there? I will admit I would have wanted for downtown to open American Apparel first.

The Montrose location of American Apparel will be located at the corner of Westheimer and Dunlavy. Some of the surrounding businesses include Buffalo Exchange and other clothing resale shops, Brazil (a coffee shop), a leather/fetish shop, a laundrymat, tattoo parlors, an odd little convenience store, etc.. If you've never been there, go and see for yourself, as it's nearly impossible to do it justice in words. Prepare to walk a little. If you don't know what a store is, go in and see for yourself - they're not going to abduct you.

As a generalization, people who have a sense of curiousity and adventure will enjoy exploring this neighborhood. Those who are content to passively have merchandise marketed to them will find it scary and disorienting.

The Montrose location of American Apparel will be located at the corner of Westheimer and Dunlavy. Some of the surrounding businesses include Buffalo Exchange and other clothing resale shops, Brazil (a coffee shop), a leather/fetish shop, a laundrymat, tattoo parlors, an odd little convenience store, etc.. If you've never been there, go and see for yourself, as it's nearly impossible to do it justice in words. Prepare to walk a little. If you don't know what a store is, go in and see for yourself - they're not going to abduct you.

As a generalization, people who have a sense of curiousity and adventure will enjoy exploring this neighborhood. Those who are content to passively have merchandise marketed to them will find it scary and disorienting.

Was over there just yesterday. Its a very popular corner on a sunny day. I didn't see exactly where this will be, but I think most people should do exactly what you said. Yesterday I grabbed a snack and beer over at Brazil, then walked over to Buffalo Exchange and through a couple of the resale shops/ clothing boutiques. There is a cool furniture store over there too. Go over at some point to check it out. Brazil is worth it alone - calling it a coffee shop alone is almost an insult to the place (although I know no insult was intended). Great place to go, have either coffee or a pint, read a book, sit outside, and get some of their food which I think is pretty damn good.

• 4 weeks later...

I still have my parents' original Sakowitz card. It is made of actual metal, not plastic.

I remember the store fondly. They cut the sandwiches into the shapes of animals for the kids eating in their cafeteria. I had my mom buy an animal shaped cookie cutter so I could have these at home.

I remember a man rolling cigars in the men's department during Christmas one year. I think it had something to do with Cuban cigars.

This is how rumors get started.

There's no reason to believe that AA isn't still in the works for downtown, even if the Montrose branch opens earlier. Each site has its own considerations. Be patient.

so i have a friend that just got hired at AA and they posters downtown were just for marketing purposes.. There is no AA going to be built downtown. it was all BUZZ

so i have a friend that just got hired at AA and they posters downtown were just for marketing purposes.. There is no AA going to be built downtown. it was all BUZZ

Your friend is very misinformed. American Apparel was set to go into the Sakowitz building. Now, obviously the redevelopment plans have been delayed or scrapped all together, I don't have the specifics, but American Apparel was a go at one point and they were waiting for the owner to start the redevelopment of the building.

I believe, and this is just me speculating, that the developer of the Sakowitz building is waiting on the HP to commence construction and build some buzz for the area so that they can secure the tenants that want to be around HP. American Apparel may no longer be interested because of the delay or they might be excited that HP will be across the street.

Archived