Sakowitz Department Store At 1111 Main St.

citykid09

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was on NASA Road One across from NASA.  Entrance One.  BEUATIFUL homes on the lake behind it.

I think its a hospital now.

Sakowitz II came out when Sakowitz started to go downhill.

i think the Clear Lake Sakowitz was at the current location of Midtown plaza...i think thats the name of it. Its the strip center with Starbucks in it...between KFC and Lubys. Across from McDonald's. The old Sakowitz building was there until they levelled it to build this Strip center - maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

i think the Clear Lake Sakowitz was at the current location of Midtown plaza...i think thats the name of it.  Its the strip center with Starbucks in it...between KFC and Lubys.  Across from McDonald's.  The old Sakowitz building was there until they levelled it to build this Strip center - maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

So, is it safe for me to say that both Sakowitz and Joske's are "no longer with us?"

Chet Cuccia

• 1 month later...

Below are some slides that my Dad took in 1963. The first is of Sakowitz on Post Oak and the Second is of Joskes (now Dillards)

I have converted over 1200 slides that my Dad took over the years and will be posting them here and there.

6310076hs.th.jpg

6310063mt.th.jpg

My mom and sisters would shop at Sakowitz downtown when we were kids. When my dad would get the bills and complain about the expence, my mom said "Because they are like Neimans-they don't deal in crap." It was a great store until Bobby S. got his hands on it. The guy had the buisness sense of a rock. It should have been Lynn in the CEO's office and Bobby in the stock room.

Below are some slides that my Dad took in 1963.  The first is of Sakowitz on Post Oak and the Second is of Joskes (now Dillards)

I have converted over 1200 slides that my Dad took over the years and will be posting them here and there.

6310076hs.th.jpg

6310063mt.th.jpg

Forget the buildings, LOOK AT ALL THOSE WONDERFUL CARS ! ! ! OMG !

Those are nice pictures though. Sakowitz II ,by the way, wasn't much of an architectual marvel, looked like a strip center in itself, or like a converted office building of the 70's.The store wasn't a stand alone, it was in a so called "Mall", with a Kay-Bee toy store and a chain bookstore, can't remember which brand, I want to say a Walden's books. Plain as plain can be, very ugly building. I remember eating at the Sambo's (now Denny's) across the street, then my Dad and I would venture over there to browse around. Circa 1979, 1980. The whole mall closed about a year or two after it opened.

Wild about the flag isn't it.  Both photos are from 1963...

Well, let's consider it was 1963, no strong civil rights movement yet. Looking at the time of year these pictures were taken, if it is indeed 1963, it is well before November, and Kennedy is still president. Civil rights movement is just beginning to heat up. There is one astonishing factor though, I believe the Sakowitz family is Jewish, why they would fly that flag is beyond me. I guess they knew their customer base. LOL ! :blink::mellow::D

I barely remember Battlestein's. Most of my memories of it are from after they were bought out by Frost and the stores were renamed under the Frost name for a few years before Frost finally went under.

While we're on the topic, remember Joske's? They were acquired by Dillard's about 1987, giving Dillard's an instant presence in cities like Houston and San Antonio where they hadn't really expanded yet. Some of the old Joske's stores that converted to Dillard's are closed now (Northline, Westwood) but some are sitll around like Post Oak and Greenspoint.

The wonderful flagship store in San Antonio was ruined when Dillards took over and stripped it of character. This is the wonderful large building on the corner of commerce and Alamo.

Under the "Daddy, what was Sakowitz like?" category, I can offer the following.

(it seems that I cannot use the %7Boption%7D tag to post an image, so please click away at the links)

Sakowitz 1

Sakowitz 2

Sakowitz 3

Sakowitz 4

Sakowitz 5

Sakowitz 6

Sakowitz 7

Sakowitz 8

And for those of you who dont live in Houston, here is a clean scan of the 002 article

Fabulous pictures. Reminds me of the department store scene in "The Women" "Zips up the back, no bones"

And that company isn't very healthy.

There's Kaplan's Ben Hur on Yale, which dates to 1913, probably way before PR. There was a Kaplan's downtown in the 500 block of Travis in the 20s, but I don't know if it's the same.

I wouldn't be surprised is there's some other small department store in some older neighborhood, maybe out on the east side, that's still in business.

Thank you for posting all the photos, it gives me warm fuzzies and I think about my parents. There was always one or two boxes under the Christmas tree for my mom that were from Joske's and Sakowitz. I do miss that whole era of Houston. I got my prom dress at the last big sale at Sakowitz on Post Oak. I agree with the member that said Dillard's ruined the flagship Joske's in SA!!! TOTALLY!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sakowitz furs is still around. Its in a small shop on post oak and westheimer. To bring it back would be a feat beacause of the galleria. Macys, and Neimans killed it. You'd also have to compete with the Houston dress shop: Tootsies, an institution. The money to bring it back would be astronomical! You'd probably have better luck in the woodlands and then opening a sattelite store up in River Oaks after the woodlands took off. Maybe even Frisco and Plano... (they're some of the fastest growing communities in the country right now)...

sakowitz furs is still around. Its in a small shop on post oak and westheimer. To bring it back would be a feat beacause of the galleria. Macys, and Neimans killed it. You'd also have to compete with the Houston dress shop: Tootsies, an institution. The money to bring it back would be astronomical! You'd probably have better luck in the woodlands and then opening a sattelite store up in River Oaks after the woodlands took off. Maybe even Frisco and Plano... (they're some of the fastest growing communities in the country right now)...

Sakowitz Furs has nothing to do with Sakowitz Bros. It is owned by Jerry Gronauer.

Bobby Sakowitz drove Sakowitz Bros. into the ground after his father, Bernard passed away because he couldn't even think himself out of a paper bag.

His sister, Lynn Sakowitz Wyatt had the good sense to steer clear of her otherwise-occupied brother and stick with international celebrity dividing her time between her Houston home in River Oaks, NYC and her villa in France-all on the dime of her husband Oscar; recently charged with bribing Iraqi officials in a scheme to corrupt the United Nations oil-for-food program.

Dunno...maybe she should have stuck by Bobby...

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what the status is of the American Apparel store that's supposed to be opening downtown off Main and Dallas? Because right now, It has no signs of shaping up to be a future clothing store what so ever. When was the opening date supposed to be again? February 2006? That's kind of cuttin' it a little close! Why is it still a parking garage on the inside and all we see is just the posters on the window?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Archived