League City The Next Sugar Land?

Guest danax

Guest danax

Bizjournal article here.

Three local developers are joining forces and eliminating property lines to create a massive master-planned development on 4,600 acres of pasture land in League City.

McAlister Co., Wynne Jackson/Eland Joint Venture and M. Sherman & Associates Land Development plan to create separate but contiguous residential projects on land they already own along the future Grand Parkway, west of Interstate 45 and north of FM 517.

The entire project will include more than 10,000 homes and provide League City with a commercial center, a town center and a light industrial center. ..........

The Grand Parkway seems to be spurring sprawl like the Metrorail should spur density. Both are our destiny.

Id say that section B of the Grand Parkway is definitely needed in Galveston County; the sooner, the better.

However, the current League City city council has a track record of being unfriendly to new development. I'm in a wait and see mode on this one.

Id say that section B of the Grand Parkway is definitely needed in Galveston County; the sooner, the better.

However, the current League City city council has a track record of being unfriendly to new development. I'm in a wait and see mode on this one.

They're only unfriendly to developments with homes that have low price points. The lower-end stuff tends to go more toward Texas City as a result.

I'm with you...they should've originally built out SH 6 and FM 1960 as a freeway for oh-so-many reasons...but alas. GP is the next best option and is going to be very helpful the next time we need to get people out of Galveston County.

For that matter, I used to have to visit family in Bacliff coming up from south Texas...there's no really easy/direct way to get from upper Galveston County to US 59 unless you go up to the Beltway first.

League City has been moving towards Sugarland in terms of development and niche for about ten years now. Pearland is now where League City was five years ago and League City is where Sugarland was in the early 90s.

And so it goes...

After Pearland, I expect Manvel and Arcola to start "booming" as well. Tomball's already starting to see Pearland-type activity.

And so it goes...

We had a presentation in a land development class i was taking last semester by an employee of M Sherman & Associates. He said they went in quite confidently to city council, but were shot down on their proposal. I don't remember the details (this was back in March), but there were planning on straightening a few of the issues out and going back this summer.

• 14 years later...
  • The title was changed to League City The Next Sugar Land?