Things that irritate me

Parrothead

It just branched off with my difficulties with him.

There is a plus, he is affordable and does great work.

But it is such a struggle to communciate with him. The phone is always off, no voicemail, phone numbers changes, no email, no English.

It is hard.

it may be a struggle but not enough for you to go someone else to get your grass cut. ;)

That is why ESL is "English as a second language" in elementary school, and Spanish classes in middle school and high school are "electives", i.e. optional.

Nope, I took Spanish in high school and I can manage, but I will never be fluent.

i think being fluent in proper spanish is manageable (i am more comfortable if i practice with those who know it properly), i say stuff sometimes where people just stare. i.e. i don't know "street" spanish. one word i can think of is perezoso. for some reason it isn't commonplace for many.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to laugh at them as they come here not learn a thing and even funnier retain that fkd ridiculous Charo accent.

better yet Coochie...Coochie, boom, boom like Charo says!

charo2002guitar.jpg

There is a horrible example by Chimny Rock and 59 South. The apartment complex is decorated with fake silk flowers planted in the garden beds, clothes are laid to dry on the balcony railings, and cars are parked in the grass.

From the movie CRASH after Ria (Jennifer Esposito) explains that she is not Mexican; her mother is from Puerto Rico and her father is from El Salvador. He answers:

"Well then I guess the big mystery is, who gathered all those remarkably different cultures together and taught them all how to park their cars on their lawns. "

My Mexican National neighbor told me they were disgusting with CISD....that the white kids should be REQUIRED to learn spanish so they could communicate with them. :mellow:

this is why i HATE ESL. i know a vietnamese girl was who was forced into ESL and knows spanish better than english. ridiculous!

My Mexican National neighbor told me they were disgusting with CISD....that the white kids should be REQUIRED to learn spanish so they could communicate with them. :mellow:

Hubby ran and hid. The room got really quiet. I just did the old school "oh my" response. In my head I was popping a cap in her ass.

This is probably who she would want to be the teacher. The perfect role model we all would want our little daughters to grow up to talk, sound and dress like, real all American wholesome image.

charo.jpg

charo2002guitar.jpg

There is a horrible example by Chimny Rock and 59 South. The apartment complex is decorated with fake silk flowers planted in the garden beds, clothes are laid to dry on the balcony railings, and cars are parked in the grass.

From the movie CRASH after Ria (Jennifer Esposito) explains that she is not Mexican; her mother is from Puerto Rico and her father is from El Salvador. He answers:

Just glad I am learning Spanish (although not Mexican spanish) from my Puerto Rican partner.

Speaking of English as a second language, does anyone know what this statement actually means?

Yes ... and talk about ... animosity. They do not mix well. And throw me in the mix and it is like every man for himself.

definitely animosity. don't call a cuban, mexican or a honduran, salvadoran. i didn't realize they are segregated here too. i forgot who lives where but someone i met gave me the 411.

Hubby ran and hid. The room got really quiet. I just did the old school "oh my" response. In my head I was popping a cap in her ass.

Katie, need I tell you that it is your civic duty to remind that stupid frijole flippin' Nacionale just which country she is living in now ? At least you stayed around though, you apparently have more balls than your husband. My wife probably would have jumped over me to put that woman in her place before I could have had a chance too. I's likes them fiesty womens, and Katie, you seem to have some spunk !

I hate to be a Goosestepper, but I still believe it is the responsibilty of the guest to learn and conform, not the host. I am not gonna pack my family up and move from the USA to another country, like England, and NOT learn the language, DAMMIT! I mean that is just ridiculous, if you are gonna start a new life in a new country, don't you think it should be imperative to learn the language so that YOU, the new immigrant, can get around and get along and make it a smoother transition ?

"Well then I guess the big mystery is, who gathered all those remarkably different cultures together and taught them all how to park their cars on their lawns. "

Maybe they are assimilating into American culture.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...PIC:en%26sa%3DN

I am not gonna pack my family up and move from the USA to another country, like England, and NOT learn the language, DAMMIT!

Impreessive.

definitely animosity. don't call a cuban, mexican or a honduran, salvadoran. i didn't realize they are segregated here too. i forgot who lives where but someone i met gave me the 411.

Which is why I laugh at them when they try to be a united "Latino Front". What the hell is a "Latino"?

you sure can find some deals.

Where? In Spain?

this is why i HATE ESL. i know a vietnamese girl was who was forced into ESL and knows spanish better than english. ridiculous!

Even the Vietnamese people are smarter. They learn the native language and ASSIMILATE quickly.

Go to the U of H campus and the majority of students are of Asian decent. They know how to get with the program. They snicker about all these mojos imposing on the US and being stubborn to assimilate. The Mexican Govt flipped them (their own people) the bird so they run here for salvation.

The boat is full people. We is busting at the seems.

SOS, Danger, Danger Will Robinson!

Even the Vietnamese people are smarter. They learn the native language and ASSIMILATE quickly.

Go to the U of H campus and the majority of students are of Asian decent. They know how to get with the program. They snicker about all these mojos imposing on the US and being stubborn to assimilate. The Mexican Govt flipped them (their own people) the bird so they run here for salvation.

The boat is full people. We is busting at the seems.

SOS, Danger, Danger Will Robinson!

Naw we got plenty of space. But I would brush up on at least ONE foreign language. In this case, Spanish.

I hate to break it to you, but stupid people exist in all cultures, worldwide. Most Asian immigrants in the U.S. were admitted legally, and represent the cream of the crop. Those that are here illegally either had to have had the resources to pay off someone to smuggle them here by ship or they had to have the wits to do it themselves. And if they get caught and sent back, it is not easy to just try again. In any case, you're likely to get a more determined kind of immigrant than one that need only swim a glorified ditch.

So what you see is a biased sample. But trust me--one of the inescapable constants in life is the existence of stupid people. They're everywhere.

I think the one thing that bothers me about the whole ILLEGAL immigration issue is that people that want to immigrate here legally from wherever (Africa, Asia, Europe, etc.) cannot just WALK across a border and be here. They have no choice, but to apply, wait, etc.

The Mexican, Guatemalan, etc. immigrants that are coming here illegally are basically flipping the finger at others that can't cross the Rio Grande. And by some of your comments, they're flipping the finger at us too.

I hate to break it to you, but stupid people exist in all cultures, worldwide.

I think Persians are different, because parents are so hard on the kids in school and really promote higer education.

Persian kids are very competitive.

Most every Persian person I know owns a business (Car dealership, Rugs, Restaurant), Doctor, Lawyer, or an Engineer.

I think Persians are different, because parents are so hard on the kids in school and really promote higer education.

Most every person Persian I know owns a business (Car dealership, Rugs, Resaturant), Doctor, Lawyer, or an Engineer.

....and what business do you own Dr. Puma ?

Most every person Persian I know owns a business (Car dealership, Rugs, Resaturant), Doctor, Lawyer, or an Engineer.

No disrespect to Persians...my experiences in the U.S. match yours and I find many of the girls to be exceedingly cute...but they are not exempt from human stupidity.

I'd also differentiate between educational attainment and intelligence.

Which is why I laugh at them when they try to be a united "Latino Front". What the hell is a "Latino"?

latino is even more broad. they speak languages other than spanish too.

Where? In Spain?

here if you could speak a little spanish.

And from the look of most 'latino' or Hispanic televisions shows you'd think dark skinned or African descent Hispanics do not exist even though in most South American countries there are sizeable 'black' or dark skinned peoples.

You rarely to never see them.

Go to the U of H campus and the majority of students are of Asian decent. They know how to get with the program. They snicker about all these mojos imposing on the US and being stubborn to assimilate.

don't sell yourself short. when children are being taught in spanish here, that is holding them back. my mom is from here and didn't speak a word of english. when she went to school, it was more difficult because there weren't as many opportunities to listen to english i.e. tv and radio. she said it was hard but it forced her to learn english well. when you're being taught in spanish for years, it hinders assimilation.

from your spelling it makes me think otherwise.

I'd also differentiate between educational attainment and intelligence.

VERY true.

And from the look of most 'latino' or Hispanic televisions shows you'd think dark skinned or African descent Hispanics do not exist even though in most South American countries there are sizeable 'black' or dark skinned peoples.

Same thing in Cuba...

I don't know. I saw the most racist thing ever recently. It was on "latino" TV and they were making fun of blacks.

It was much worse than Sambo. Big lips, teeth and all.

I think it may have been Mexican TV. If we tried it here Al and Jesse would have a heart attack.

According to a study conducted in 1996 by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB ) <http://idbdocs.iadb.org/wsdocs/getdocument.aspx?docnum=479869>

the total estimated population of African descent in Latin America is approximately 150,000,000

Archived