Camden Midtown: Multifamily At 2303 Louisiana St.

UrbaNerd

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point?

Apartments can be risky propositions. 

Print It

I've read less vague statements in fortune cookies.

Any dwelling carries an element of risk. How can you be sure that your homeowners' association will remain intact? or that the person who lives in the townhome next door doesn't rent it out to undesirables?

Midtowncoog:

ANY property can be a risk, and ANY area can be subject to the "element" moving in.

it was just recently that a new community out in Cinco ranch (i might be mistaken) was the site of a immigration raid where several dozen illegals were held against their will.

I personally know of some drug dealers that lived in a VERY nice area of pearland.

just because someone has a nice address doesn't mean they're nice.

Ricco

At least this property will run off some of the local male prostitutes.

Then again, it may bring in some new ones.

Anyone happy about a Camden property in what could be the "Midtown Green" is smoking the good stuff.

Usher in more apartment trash.

Yeah, THAT'S the Ticket to build this city. Section 8, here we come!

I t would be refreshing if some of the people who comment on this board actually had a clue. There are apartments in this city that rent for more than $10,000.00 per month. I don't think they are rented by "trash". People choose not to buy for reasons that someone who is naive enough to think that "buying" real estate is the only "smart" thing to do can't understand.

This forum would surely benefit from an actual moderator who would actively limit the discussions to respectful communication. Some of the members of this forum are clearly not capable of engaging in civil discourse. It's tiresome. Why must we be subjected to so much idiocy?

Jtmbin,

I totally agree. Just the very idea that someone who rents is trash is immature and ridiculus.

Just tonight, I was at a meeting at my apt complex with various residents and mgt. I over heard one guy talk to the mgr about upgrading to a larger apt. The one he wanted was $1,200 per month. When the manager told him the price, he said, "not bad."

I got the sense from him that he travels a lot and just isn't ready to buy. Is he trash? I don't think so. I pay $850 a month. Am I trash?

And, what about the people who own the little shacks behind our complex? The ones that are basically crack houses. Are they trash? Based on midtowncoogs theory, they are not, because they OWN. Never mind that our apt complex actually RAISED the values of their shacks. I guess we're trash, huh?

Anyway, you see my point. Most of us are excited about the future of midtown and this new complex. Let's not let one person spoil it.

p.s. the mgr of my complex told us that within the next 2 years, 6,000 new units - both apts and condos - are exected to be built in midtown. That's exciting.

excellent example, midtown guy.

Excellent post jtmbin.

while, I would LOVE to own my place, I also don't want to deal with upkeep, and the ability to move away if I find a better place or a better price/location.

The flexibility to be able to pick and choose where one lives is a great advantage verses a regular property owner.

arguments can be made for both sides as far as the plusses and minuses of each option.

Ricco

And here is another problem within itself.  Not everyone wants their shack to rise in value.  It's a shack for a reason, but they end up paying for the locatoin and the land it sits on in higher taxes.

I think it's quite the contrary in midtown. I understand your point about rising taxes - but it so happens that their land is in high demand - so they actually MAKE money because of the location of a camden or post complex. They can sell their house at a great profit, and move on to the next shack if they wish. This is America, it's called capitalism. It works.

Regarding these 'shack' dwellers btw...many of them are renters.

I'm not sure I understand your aimless demotivated attitude about the development of apartments in a region which can and will support them with high dollar rent value. I understand that you want more out of the development, and so do i...i am dissappointed that the midtown district doesn't implement measures to promote better design and use of space, but I still find your negative attitude to be baseless. Explain yourself.

And here is another problem within itself.  Not everyone wants their shack to rise in value.  It's a shack for a reason, but they end up paying for the locatoin and the land it sits on in higher taxes.

True.

Some people are constantly griping about the increases in property taxes, even thought those increases are directly tied to increases in the value of their property. Funny thing is I've never heard anyone complain because they sold their property for more than they paid for it.

Real estate is an investment and like stocks, art, any other investment the goal is usually to increase its value. Paying taxes, increased taxes when value increases in just part of the game. I've never met anyone who truly wishes their property value/investment value would decrease.

stuart1.jpg

Here's hoping for the bestest, cleanest, neatest, nicest, most fun ever apartment complex in the whole wide world.

what was that name of the complex back in the mid 80's (during age descrimination) that had the guy jumping into the pool with a vcr? that was suppose to be "the" place back in the day. they had a little jingle; columbia house (?), oooooooo!

in regards to apartment dwellers. the "luxury" apartments are intended for renters by choice, not by need. every complex has trouble makers; there will be a couple of bad seeds when you have in excess of 400 people living there. when you have two and three months free rent in addition to no deposit, your ideal tenant profile will downgrade. if/when the concessions begin to burn off, the profile should return to normal.

for example, you have joe blow living in a "b" complex and his lease is up for renewal. he sees that an "a" complex is offering 2 months free rent and 0 deposit. when it's pro-rated (the "free" rent is deducted from the monthly rent rather than not paying the 1st two months), the monthly rent becomes the same (if not lower) than what he's paying now. some new properties are even offering free movers and cable/phone/electric hook ups. so, job blow sees it as a perfect opportunity to move into something brand new, at the same monthly cost, and for free.

midtown resident, you asked midtowncoog to explain himself. That's just it: he can't.

I would love to know where he currently lives and where he used to live. I think I remember him saying once that he used to live in midtown, but his place was getting broken into too much and had to move. Midtowncoog, is that the case? Are you the same person?

Y'all are trippin. Building apartments is the easy way out, that's all.

If you had a choice, would you rebuild Midtown with apartments, or property that people can acutally own, and take pride in?

Trust me, I have lived in an apartment. Everyone has, but I really think Midtown could do better than another Camden property.

What's wrong with that?

And don't get me started on the New Orleans inspired dump off Elgin. Give that place ten years, and we'll all be dissapointed.

Well, this article in today's paper seems fitting for this thread!

Personally I don't blame residents for being resistant to yet another apartment complex built in this area. "Overabundance" is an understatement.

Nov. 10, 2004, 9:58PM

Proposed complex draws mixed reviews

Neighbors don't want more units, unless restricted to senior citizens

By ANNE MARIE KILDAY

Chronicle Correspondent

Residents of far southwest Houston concerned about an overabundance of apartment units in their area are keeping a close eye on a proposal for a new, 250-unit apartment complex for low- and moderate-income senior citizens.

Ruth Hurst, president of the New Braeswood Revitalization Authority, said last week that the area already has too many vacant apartments.

"In our area, we have at least 4,000 to 5,000 units that are vacant right now," Hurst said. "We just don't need any more apartment complexes."

Developers Vernon and Elizabeth Young have submitted an application to the Harris County Housing Finance Corp. for up to $15 million in bonds to build the Oak Tree Manor Apartments on the east side of the 12700 block of Fondren.

Vernon Young said the proposed Oak Tree Manor complex would be "identical" to an apartment complex he and his wife have developed for senior residents near Spring Branch.

In addition to the Oak Tree complex, they have four other similar seniors apartment projects in various stages of development.

The Lovett Manor apartments, located at 2506 Antoine, are designed for residents over age 55 who want to live in an affordable but quality apartment complex, Young said.

Half of that complex is priced so low-income seniors can afford the $530 monthly rent on one-bedroom units, or $637 for a two-bedroom apartment. Each apartment includes granite countertops, cable TV, crown molding, 9-foot ceilings and washer-dryer hook-ups.

The apartments offer senior residents a variety of recreational activities, including a library, a small DVD theatre, a complete fitness center with a lap pool and Jacuzzi, private flower and vegetable gardens and shuffleboard courts.

Spring Branch battle

"In Spring Branch, I had a real uphill battle," Young said. "The area residents just didn't believe how beautiful it was going to be. I had a battle convincing them it wasn't going to be tacky. Now, they are moving their own relatives in."

"It's not like I'm going to build this and move away," he added. "My wife and I are in this for the long haul."

Elizabeth Rippy, an attorney for the Vinson & Elkins law firm, which represents the Harris County Housing Finance Corp., said a public hearing will be held on the proposed apartment complex

Midtowncoog, again: please fill us in on your situation. You obviously own. But where? Sounds like River Oaks, from the way you're talking.

Where in midtown did you live? And why did you leave midtown? There are some houses and townhomes for purchase in midtown (though they're a little pricey). Why didn't you buy in midtown?

Midtowncoog, again: please fill us in on your situation. You obviously own. But where? Sounds like River Oaks, from the way you're talking.

Where in midtown did you live? And why did you leave midtown? There are some houses and townhomes for purchase in midtown (though they're a little pricey). Why didn't you buy in midtown?

He left because there were too many hispanics, or as he calls them "Mexicans", moving in close to him. The sounds of Spanish and the smell of fajitas was more than he could bare, regrettably. And, he left because he noticed apartments that were being offered in the low-rent $2000-per-month range. That's why he left.

"....and the smell of fajitas....rising up through the air..."

- Hotel California, the Mexican version.

Take care

That's the East End and Fulton Avenue you describe, not Midtown.

In Midtown, you learn to get used to empty discarded packs of Cool cigarettes, broken Old English 40 oz., Twinkie wrappers, chicken bones, syringes, male prostitues, and used condoms.

You think I am joking, but it's the honest truth. Those who drive home and shut the garage door behind them don't see the reality.

Those are the reasons I left Midtown. Not that it's a bad place, but I did my duty of five years to make it better. Now it's someone else's turn.

Viva la Virgin de Guadalupe!

Print It