Best Chinese food?

I know that there are 2 Chinatowns in Houston, and zillions of restaurants. But with so many many choices, I have to ask you...

1) What do you think is the best Chinese restaurant in town? I"m looking for a place that serves really spicy foods -- I can't stand most American Chinese restaurants as they are mostly bland, and when someone recommends a restaurant, it's usually because they like some dish that is very syrupy like sesame chicken (which I personally believe should be served as a dessert, not a main course meal).

2) Is there any place in Houston that serves Sichuan Hot Pot (you know, like the Chinese version of the fondue where pieces of food is cooked in a hot chili oil)?

3) What do you consider the best place to have dim sums?

Thanks!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

888 on Winkler near Woodridge is my favorite. Fresh ingredients and no mystery meat. There are many authentic dishes as well that aren't on the menu so if you want something particular, they'll make it. Prices are ridiculously cheap as well.

888 on Winkler near Woodridge is my favorite. Fresh ingredients and no mystery meat. There are many authentic dishes as well that aren't on the menu so if you want something particular, they'll make it. Prices are ridiculously cheap as well.

i'll second 888!

i'll third 888!

the food is always fresh and they have great service

i'll have #26, please

I live near there, so I'm going to have to check it out. I've been trying to find a decent chinese joint near this area. The only other one that I heard about that I haven't had a chance to visit is the one by the Moulon rouge on Monroe.

I used to like Fu's Garden in the Village, but haven't been there in a while so I can't say if is still good.

I have been there recently. It is still good. When in the village I prefer Chino Cafe (I think that is the name) Excellent dumplings.

i'll third 888!

the food is always fresh and they have great service

i'll have #26, please

I typically go to either 888 for quick, fast Chinese that is damn good or to Canton Seafood for more fancy dishes. 888 is very reasonably priced and good, I like getting the whole fish that is more than enough for 2 people. Canton has all kinds of stuff on their menu and even if its a seafood place, their duck is really good. Seafood Hot Pot in XO sauce, mmm, good.

i am not an expert on Dim Sum, But I really like the one on Sundays at Ocean Palace.

It is a HUGE two story place in the Hong Kong City Mall on Bellaire (in "New" Chinatown).

Sunday is an experience as whole place fills up with humanity. But they are able to handle the crowd..this place is gigantic. If you don't know Chinese then you have to do a lot of pointing and guessing. The food is great, epsecially the seafood, but the overall experience is spectactular. If you don't like crowds, Saturdays are a little more manageable.

• 3 weeks later...
I know that there are 2 Chinatowns in Houston, and zillions of restaurants. But with so many many choices, I have to ask you...

1) What do you think is the best Chinese restaurant in town? I"m looking for a place that serves really spicy foods -- I can't stand most American Chinese restaurants as they are mostly bland, and when someone recommends a restaurant, it's usually because they like some dish that is very syrupy like sesame chicken (which I personally believe should be served as a dessert, not a main course meal).

2) Is there any place in Houston that serves Sichuan Hot Pot (you know, like the Chinese version of the fondue where pieces of food is cooked in a hot chili oil)?

3) What do you consider the best place to have dim sums?

Thanks!

Hi there, just browsing the forum and saw your question. Here is a place to help you answer your questions:

Houston Asian Restaurants Guide.

It has a list of top Chinese restaurants picks, great place to eat Sichuan Hot Pot (Sichuan Cuisine in New Chinatown), and of course favorite dim sum places.

Best Dim Sum is at Fung's Kitchen.

The wife and I are going to hit Fung's Kitchen tonight for some Dim Sum. Fired up.

I have never had Dim Sum before. What should I look for and what should I "watch" out for. I love egg rolls, dumplings, crab puffs, spring rolls, cheese toast, spare ribs, and every other appetizer you usually see on a chinesse food menu. Is this what I should expect or is totally different.

The wife and I are going to hit Fung's Kitchen tonight for some Dim Sum. Fired up.

I have never had Dim Sum before. What should I look for and what should I "watch" out for. I love egg rolls, dumplings, crab puffs, spring rolls, cheese toast, spare ribs, and every other appetizer you usually see on a chinesse food menu. Is this what I should expect or is totally different.

I had my first trip to Fung's yesterday after hearing all the recommendations online. I was happy to just find a dim sum place. I moved from san francisco to houston two months ago and found out that the chinese food here is based more on northern chinese cuisine, and very few southern chinese or hong kong cuisine (like dim sum), and therefore, there are very few dim sum places.

I used to have dim sum like very two weeks and trying different places each time (they are everywhere in california), the ones to try are always har gao(shrimp dumpling), siew mai(squarish pork dumpling that has shrimp and mushroom in it). char siew bao(roast pork bun).

My favorites are pan fired turnip cake, and pretty much anything that has tofu skin wrapped around it. They either pan fry/stew it (the ones with pork wrapped in it) or deep fry it (the ones with shrimp wrapped in it.) Naturally, I tried all those at Fung's yesterday. It was mostly ok compared to what I had before, but the 'za leung', that is the fried dough wrapped with rice noodle (not really noodle but I forget what it is called) was good. They also have an extensive desert dim sum menu, which I did not try but looks good at other patrons' tables.

I wish they had pushed the dim sum cart around like most other dim sum places, where you can pick and choose from the cart, instead of ordering them from a menu. The noise and smell from the carts rolling around is what creates the atmosphere of a dim sum place.

And I accidentally ordered the egg roll when I wanted deep fired shrimp ball. I hate egg rolls but you might like it if you like those regular egg rolls that can be found at every other chinese restaurant.

And if you are really into it, you can try the chicken feet and beef tripe. I like beef tripe but didn't order it.

Overall, I think the dim sum is average, but I am just happy to have some after two months without it.

Does anyone know if Canton set up a temporary spot after they closed the strip center where they are located? That spot at Richmond and Kirby was in vast need of a remodeling, but it took away one of my favorite spots for Chinese.

As for Fung's, I would imagine that on Sunday they do the push cart dim sum service, but on a weekday can understand why they wouldn't do it.

Out the SW Freeway next to the old BMW dealership.

7320 S.W. FWY., Suite 115 Houston, TX 77074

Sunday is the best day.

http://www.fungskitchen.com/

AWESOME Choice MidtownCoog. We loved Fung's Kitchen. We learned that Dim Sum is a lunch thing so we will have to go back for that, but the steamed pork dumplings were amazing and the food / atmosphere was tremendous. Thanks for the tip. We will be going back. Maybe for a Sunday Dim Sum Brunch.

I am a food guy and I love all sorts of cusine. Chinese is one of my favorites and I think this place is defeinetely in my top 5.

After all those recommendations, I'm mighty hungry. And I will be again in three hours.

Seriously though, I have to check out that 888 place now.

just got back from there an hour ago. my parents don't even eat chinese and i have them hooked too! get something with garlic sauce. i promise you'll like.

just got back from there an hour ago. my parents don't even eat chinese and i have them hooked too! get something with garlic sauce. i promise you'll like.

Well, I just started going to 888, and I have admit, it's the best in this part of town! I am now a semi-regular when I'm on my way home.

Just been having the typical stuff for now, but I'm going to try some of their specialty plates in the near future, I do highly recommend this place!

:wub:

Archived