Crime In Midtown

eLy383Inc

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Seeing the post in the Howl at the Moon thread about someone getting held up at gunpoint concerned me as just 2 weeks ago, I found out a similar thing had happened in East Midtown. I know Midtown isnt the safest place, but I had been unaware of people being held up at gunpoint when walking around the bars.

I took the latest monthly data (October) from the police website and pulled up the Midtown Beats. I pulled out only Robbery and Aggravated Assaults and plotted them on google.

Here is a screenshot of the outcome. I can post the live map link, but it seems very processor intensive, so a jpg is more useful.

gallery_1714_36_195458.jpg

Remember, this is only for the month of October.

I can pull up other crimes or other areas of town if you wish.

Edited by Mr. Chenevert

So you want to see seperate maps? Not a problem...

However, can you or someone else explain what the difference is?

The way I understand it, is Robbery is taking something from someone by using force.

Aggravated Assault means a weapon was used, but something wasnt necessarily stolen?

If someone can clear up how the police label crimes, that would be helpful.

Im engaged and just bored at work. This little project took about 5 minutes of excel filtering and 5 minutes of batch file processor on google.

The way I understand it, is Robbery is taking something from someone by using force.

Aggravated Assault means a weapon was used, but something wasnt necessarily stolen?

If someone can clear up how the police label crimes, that would be helpful.

Exactly.

Agg Assault is either an assault using a deadly weapon or a serious physical assault (causing serious injury).

Robbery is the taking of property from a person by force or by threat of force. If a deadly weapon is used, or if serious injury results, it is Agg Robbery. However, HPD reports all robberies as Robbery.

Wow lots of robberies along the metro rail line. That's pretty scary.

Here's a good website with monthly crime data in google maps. I find it interesting to look at what times the crimes occurred. A quick glance at midtown shows that a significant number of the robberies happened during daylight. I didn't realize it was that bad.

http://houstoncrimemaps.com/neighborhood/

Edited by Jax

Wow lots of robberies along the metro rail line. That's pretty scary.

Here's a good website with monthly crime data in google maps. I find it interesting to look at what times the crimes occurred. A quick glance at midtown shows that a significant number of the robberies happened during daylight. I didn't realize it was that bad.

http://houstoncrimemaps.com/neighborhood/

Awesome site. Thanks. Much easier than my method!

No surprise that the robberies happen west of 59 and assaults to the east. I guess the poor folk just end up getting beat up when the don't have any money to give the robbers.... B)

Midtown is OK, it just has more opportunity for worthwhile crime . It's relatively safe, but has flashes of being a dangerous place; a savage place.

I ran over (in reverse) three attemped car jackers in my wife's SUV. This was 2003 in my Midtown driveway as they tried to jack me at dusk.

Score one for the good guy, and long live SUVs.

Midtown is OK, it just has more opportunity for worthwhile crime . It's relatively safe, but has flashes of being a dangerous place; a savage place.

I ran over (in reverse) three attemped car jackers in my wife's SUV. This was 2003 in my Midtown driveway as they tried to jack me at dusk.

Good for you. Did you put on little carjacker silhouettes on your driver's door afterwards?

The first thing that I noticed that 4 of the robberies involved are right close to that McDonald's near the bus station. That should be a "duh".

Otherwise, I'd have to agree, midtown is relatively safe considering the proximity of crack haven near Gillette and W. Gray.

But I am curious as to what the trend is? I have spotted several bike cops riding around the area.

My wife and I don't sweat the crime enough to move, love the neighborhood, but do take precautions. We've had a friends' home burgled on this side of Main (East) and a friend of a friend robbed at gunpoint on the other side. So, better alarm system in the house, and carry a gun when we walk to dinner (small 9mm, so not much of an inconvenience).

Pretty optimistic that the neighborhood will continue to improve with the rampant development.

I thinks its the time of year, criminals are too lazy to work to buy Christmas gifts so they start waving the guns... and its just not Midtown. Out here in lazy Memorial we have had two cases of attempted aggrivated assaults, pistols involved, in the past week. A couple of reports of being followed home and into the driveway. One guy pulled a Coog and slammed his car in reverse and rammed the guys.Two Crips were busted not a few blocks from here about a month ago stealing a yard guys equipment.

So I thinks it everywhere and it just gets worse around Thanksgiving to New Years.

Seems like there are only really two corridors where robberies are rampant: Main and Gray. Anybody remember what happens to be at that intersection? :rolleyes:

scenes from Midnight Cowboy :o:lol:

My friends who got held up at gunpoint this Tuesday night while going to Howl at the Moon said the two guys told them "god bless you" after they took all my friends money. At least these guys are thankful... :blink:

Good thing they didn't jay-shoota at them! :lol:

My friends who got held up at gunpoint this Tuesday night while going to Howl at the Moon said the two guys told them "god bless you" after they took all my friends money. At least these guys are thankful... :blink:

That's the same thing that is usually said when a homeless person is given money......might be a nighttime gig for one of them.