Passing of David Holmquist

David Holmquist, principal of Alief Hastings High school died earlier this week. I know some of you attended Hastings. My girlfriend retired from there recently and was very close to David. He will be missed my many.

I had the pleasure of having him as a principal at Hastings, and we knew each other quite well. He was the best at what he did, and did everything he could for each individual student...all 4,200 of them. No accomplishment went unrecognized there, whether it was going to the state championship, winning a chess match, or recovering from a family member's loss, or somehow getting that 80 instead of 79 and barely averaging out enough to pass your senior year and graduate. If something didn't seem right in the education department with one student, he'd drop everything to ensure that the one student was taken care of. I can't think of many people that could say their principal was also seen as their friend or a person you knew was always there for you, but many alumini and current student body can say that about David Holmquist.

The passing comes as a shock, and my prayers go out to the Holmquist family. Thank you David for all the memories, and all the blood, sweat, and effort you put into Alief. I loved Hastings, and his work ethic and ideas were a big reason for that.

I had the pleasure of having him as a principal at Hastings, and we knew each other quite well. He was the best at what he did, and did everything he could for each individual student...all 4,200 of them. No accomplishment went unrecognized there, whether it was going to the state championship, winning a chess match, or recovering from a family member's loss, or somehow getting that 80 instead of 79 and barely averaging out enough to pass your senior year and graduate. If something didn't seem right in the education department with one student, he'd drop everything to ensure that the one student was taken care of. I can't think of many people that could say their principal was also seen as their friend or a person you knew was always there for you, but many alumini and current student body can say that about David Holmquist.

The passing comes as a shock, and my prayers go out to the Holmquist family. Thank you David for all the memories, and all the blood, sweat, and effort you put into Alief. I loved Hastings, and his work ethic and ideas were a big reason for that.

Outstanding on your report on the dedication of this man to eduaction. I didnt attend this school but im most impressed by what you said about him. I like it and wish more of it! These are the type of educators that we need more of!!!!!!

I met David on two or three occasions, and he always gave me the impression that he was quite a warm, caring person. DJ V, Michelle read your responses, and she was quite touched by your words.

Archived