Port Of Houston Developments

Nov. 6, 2004, 11:06PM

Lock on the competition

Texas' powerhouse Port of Houston teams up with Panama to draw a piece of Asia's massive trade away from West Coast

By BILL HENSEL JR.

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

RESOURCES

Container trade with Asia through the Port of Houston has shot up, and the Panama Canal is a route tapped to expand the business.

Imports

Share of total trade

there are only two minor issues that I'm rather concerned about:

One: Have we just about reached capacity as far as the Houston Ship channel?

two: The same question also applies to rail capacity. Perhaps it is time for some rail to build new ROWs that go around the city for destinations up north.

Ricco

there are only two minor issues that I'm rather concerned about:

One:  Have we just about reached capacity as far as the Houston Ship channel?

two:  The same question also applies to rail capacity.  Perhaps it is time for some rail to build new ROWs that go around the city for destinations up north.

Ricco

Or start bringing in some of that cargo through Corpus Christi.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
I got a question. If the ports were scheduled to be controlled by a company in London, England and not Dubai, UAE, would there still have been a big controversy?
Those ports were already run by an English company (though, I'm not sure it was from London). The reason for the change was that Dubai Ports World (the Arab company) bought P&O (the English company).

The British are the largest foreign investors in the USA and have been for a very very longtime :) I wonder what other key areas are under British control?

Edited by Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

• 1 year later...

It's not sexy news like a condo tower, but...

The green light is on for construction of a new $74 million wharf at the Bayport terminal at the Port of Houston.

The wharf would be the second at the terminal, which opened about a year ago to handle a growing amount of container cargo.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...iz/5476352.html

More sexy port news...

http://www.commercialpropertynews.com/cpn/...a86c6bc12e86318

Duke Realty Corp. has acquired about 161 acres of land near the Port of Houston with plans to pump $140 million into the development of up to 2.9 million square feet of industrial space.

The acquisition also includes a 12-acre container/chassis storage yard, and a 172,000-square-foot, fully leased industrial building on in the Cedar Crossing Business Park in the Houston suburb of Baytown.

Duke

I got a question. If the ports were scheduled to be controlled by a company in London, England and not Dubai, UAE, would there still have been a big controversy?

And you do know there is a large Muslim, Indian, Pakistani, and Arab population there as well. Many of them business owners as well.

Homeland Security Magazine's January 2008 edition features the Harris County region's extraordinary work to protect the Port of Houston by "creating a model of vigilance and preparedness for the rest of the nation."

With the SecurePort 2008 conference taking place in Houston this week, the article couldn't be more timely.

The Port of Houston, the sixth largest port in the world and the country's largest concentration of energy infrastructure, is a critical asset to the local economy and the nation's energy supply. The region's leading government officials, industry leaders, and first responders have leveraged their expertise and resources to secure the Port of Houston.

"The public/private cooperation is what makes this endeavor so unique," said Harris County Judge Ed Emmett. "Too often, the private sector looks to the government for a solution or vice versa. By working together, we are achieving incredible results and serving as an example for the rest of the nation."

The Port of Houston Strategic Security Council is at the center of this innovative collaboration.

Read the entire article at:

http://www.hstoday.us/Archive/0801_Respond...ional_model.cfm

Read more about SecurePort 2008 at:

http://www.secureportusa.com/

Although the Port of Houston isn't our favorite topic of discussion, it's importance remains. I'm thinking this could be a general POH thread for all of its related news.

There's been two stories that I know of and have posted in the last week or so but have recieved little response. Maybe those with more knowledge of it can elaborate on its significance. I for one would like to learn more about it.

Port of Houston Plans $74M Terminal Wharf (2/1) Also reported in the chron on 1/23

http://www.commercialpropertynews.com/cpn/...f56071865ea92bc

$140M in Development Planned Near Houston

USDA gives Port of Houston more entry points

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...63&ana=e_du

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has expanded the bid points program to 11 from two at the Port of Houston Authority.

The program relates to the delivery and shipping of USDA Food Aid cargo, which is exported to developing countries for economic development and humanitarian purposes.

Edited by lockmat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone seen the new billboard on 59 South depicting the Port of Houston 'ablaze' in an implied terror attack?

Apparently we've lost the "war on terror"...Our own government is working overtime in order to keep the citizenry terrorized.

Edited by mrfootball