The Sterling of The Woodlands: Luxury Senior Living

bachanon

SUNRISE SENIOR LIVING PURCHASES SITE IN TOWN CENTER...

3-Sunrise_Rendering-Terrace_Level.gif

Sunrise Senior Living, an international operator of senior living communities, has purchased a 2.53-acre site in The Woodlands Town Center for construction of a 253,000-square-foot senior living condominium building, according to Dan Leverett, vice president, commercial for The Woodlands Development Company.

more information

SUNRISE SENIOR LIVING PURCHASES SITE IN TOWN CENTER...

3-Sunrise_Rendering-Terrace_Level.gif

Sunrise Senior Living, an international operator of senior living communities, has purchased a 2.53-acre site in The Woodlands Town Center for construction of a 253,000-square-foot senior living condominium building, according to Dan Leverett, vice president, commercial for The Woodlands Development Company.

more information

Hey Bach, I thought you couldn't build higher than the tree line in The Woodlands (with the exception of Anadarko). That sucker looks at least 10 stories. Is the Town Center area under a different code?

PS, your link led me to a senior living they are building in Alden Bridge. They sure are plugging this retirement home issue. I guess some come here to be near their kids? Seems a strange place to retire.

It's the perfect place to retire! Hello, golf? :lol:

Parrot, how many seniors think: "Oh, its time to retire, let's move to not only Houston but North Houston... way out in the burbs. The summers are so refreshing and everything in The Woodlands is so conviently close!"

I LOVE Houston, but you have to admit, its dog hot at least 7 months of the year and the skeeters get so thick they could caddy your golf bag for you. Golfing weather is much better in NC and Florida. Here its too hot in the summer, and most years its too rainy in the winter.

I maintain, the Woodlands is more of a middle aged family place.......I just don't see the appeal of retirement here, unless you have grandkids in the area and you'd rather be near them than a milder climate and a place more cultural.

the article on the waterway retirement community was moved to a different page. i've updated the link so that it works correctly.

the woodlands includes families who have been here since its inception in the early 70s. there are families here with retirees who want to be close to town center activities and still be close to the grandkids. a percentage of people who are retiring here were already here. also, the pent up demand for this level of senior living must be great. the woodlands development company waits till the dam is about to burst before they get something off the ground.

the tree line used to be important. i do not think that the "hidden city" concept is in effect any longer. with the 17 story condo tower, 10 story boutique hotel and other up coming office buildings, i don't think anyone is concerned with the tree line as a height barrier. as far as the villages are concerned, i'm not aware of existing restrictions.

Parrot, how many seniors think: "Oh, its time to retire, let's move to not only Houston but North Houston... way out in the burbs. The summers are so refreshing and everything in The Woodlands is so conviently close!"

I LOVE Houston, but you have to admit, its dog hot at least 7 months of the year and the skeeters get so thick they could caddy your golf bag for you. Golfing weather is much better in NC and Florida. Here its too hot in the summer, and most years its too rainy in the winter.

I maintain, the Woodlands is more of a middle aged family place.......I just don't see the appeal of retirement here, unless you have grandkids in the area and you'd rather be near them than a milder climate and a place more cultural.

Amazingly, some DO like Houston's weather. I have jokingly suggested to my parents that they should move back to NC (so that I'd have an excuse to move, too!), and my mom exclaimed that it is too COLD in North Carolina. I nearly fell out of my chair.

There's a lot of truth to this...old people like hot humid weather. No BS.

Look at Florida.

PS - was there a misprint in the Chronicle saying that those new 'Senior' Condos will start in the $480's? Even for Downtown, that seems a bit high.

• 6 months later...

update on this project. link includes photo of model.

Open Houses: Public gets look at Sterling layout possibilities

By: TIFFANY WILLIAMS, Villager staff

12/21/2006

Sterling of The Woodlands Director of Sales Angela Ling, center, shows a model of the condominium community to Rob and Jan Chappell, right, their son Brad and daughter-in-law Elizabeth.

Sterling of The Woodlands Director of Sales Angela Ling, center, shows a model of the condominium community to Rob and Jan Chappell, right, their son Brad and daughter-in-law Elizabeth.

So far, it is little more than a glint in the eyes of prospective residents, but The Sterling of The Woodlands has unearthed a diamond of a concept for the over-60 set.

The 133-unit retirement hub, slated for completion in the summer of 2009, allows residents to customize and purchase their condominiums, begetting a potential return on their investments. Condo prices start in the $400,000s.

The six- to 10-story building is located at the southwest corner of Lake Robbins Drive and Grogan's Mill Road. Residents will pay a monthly service fee for amenities such as on-site medical care, round-the-clock security, transportation, housekeeping, dining, fitness programs and a pool.

The layout of each condo is even more malleable than the precious metal the development was named after.

Sterling condos can be anywhere from 1,009 square feet to 3,100 square feet and range from one to three bedrooms with various floor plans.

full story

• 1 month later...

yes, the condos start at $480k. This does not include the $2000/month service fee for living there. This price in consistent with the higher end senior living condos my parents have shopped in Texas, including Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth. They are interested in houston because they spend their Summers in New Mexico at 8000 ft and like our mild Winters.

I sat through on of the sales pitches on their behalf, and must admit, the units are pretty fantastic. I can only assume they will hold their value, based upon the other values I've watched on the Waterway. They are having the same development problems averyone else in the Woodlands is having, but they are hoping to complete construction at the end of 2008.

The plan is to have the trolley come all the way down past the Sterling, towards the lake, so residents could hop on the trolley and get all the way to the mall or market street without having to drive.

• 2 years later...

Hmmm. I talked to a guy the other day who wants to move out of his 3000 sq ft home, sell or give away all his furniture and move into a retirement place. There are bunches of homes here in the $400,000's. So they could sell and move into one of these but still have to pay those high taxes and $2000/mo. Maybe there is a market for people right here, Folks who like it here but don't want the upkeep of a large home. meet down at the waterway for happy hour every night. Whipeee!

• The title was changed to The Sterling of The Woodlands: Luxury Senior Living

Archived