Tallest Building?

Ashikaga

Isn't that Library (now US Bank, I think) Tower in LA only about 12 feet taller than Chase? Doesn't Chase have at least 15 more floors? Maybe Chase can add a fancy, pentagonal crown, or a high-ceiling, roof-top restaurant/club and take that title back, lol.

By the way, Post #400! Woo-hoo! And it's concerning the tallest building in the State!

By the way, has anyone seen that 1000+ footer in Nashville? A little blow to Atlanta boosterism b/c I think it is maybe 20 or 30 feet taller than BofA.

yeah, doesn't it look like the Shanghai World Financial tower?

Nah, I think that's the new Wachovia building (700-900 feet) going up in Charlotte. The Signature Tower in Nashville probably has the best crown I have ever seen. I was a big fan of BofA in Charlotte and still am, but the Signature Tower in Nashville is just great--it would look even better in Houston! :P

Signature Tower - Nashville, courtesy of "Lexy" at SkyscraperPage

image-7.jpg

asig5a.jpg

asig1.jpg

Wachovia Tower - Charlotte, courtesy of "skysdalimit" at SkyscraperPage

Wachovia_Tower.jpg

Nah, I think that's the new Wachovia building (700-900 feet) going up in Charlotte. The Signature Tower in Nashville probably has the best crown I have ever seen. I was a big fan of BofA in Charlotte and still am, but the Signature Tower in Nashville is just great--it would look even better in Houston! :P

image-7.jpg

asig5a.jpg

asig1.jpg

Wachovia_Tower.jpg

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I don't understand why buildings anywhere have to be so tall. I mean, I doubt that all of the rooms and offices in them are occupied. If they were, then a lot more than 3,000 people would have been killed in The World Trade Center and the surrounding buildings that were destroyed back on 9/11.

Not so sure i understand your question, but I would guess that the answer would be the same for why malls are 150 stores instead of 15, why parking garages have 1200 spaces instead of 120, or freeways have 10 lanes instead of four.

If I'm not mistaken, the 400+ Mall of America was a terror target and we know that Los Angeles International Airport was a terror target. WAY more than 3,000 people would have died in both of those places.

image-7.jpg

asig5a.jpg

asig1.jpg

Wachovia_Tower.jpg

ty for clearing that up, the one in Charlotte still looks like the one that they are building in Shanghai.

What's the story on that Nashville 'scraper? Is it really being built? Who is building it? Who is going to occupy it? It looks beautiful. I agree, it would look awesome in downtown Houston.

Just a couple things I remember from SSP a few days ago--It does have the go-ahead. It's gotten all the approvals, I believe, and construction is supposed to be complete by 2009. It's supposed to be a mixed-use tower with residential and a hotel (I want to say a W Hotel possibly). The developer even suggested that residents could live on some of the building's lower floors while it's being completed. Don't remember his last name but it sounded Italian maybe.

I also think that it already has about twice the letters of interest than it has condos. It was also initially supposed to be 50-55 stories but will now be 65, if I'm not mistaken.

I will also say that a lot of this info is a brain dump from when I read SSP a few days ago.

Wouldn't this look great on that waste-of-space-parking lot on McKinney right behind the Wells Fargo Tower??

Or maybe it could be a super-anchor for that southeast quadrant of downtown. Imagine all the new skyline photos from that perspective, or the perspective of inbound on Gulf Freeway.

Wouldn't this look great on that waste-of-space-parking lot on McKinney right behind the Wells Fargo Tower??

Or maybe it could be a super-anchor for that southeast quadrant of downtown. Imagine all the new skyline photos from that perspective, or the perspective of inbound on Gulf Freeway.

The waste of space parking lot behing the Wells Fargo Tower? You surely don't mean the Tenneco Building... I think your talking about the parking lot behind 1 Shell Plaza. That's where the Bank of the Southwest Tower would have gone.

The waste of space parking lot behing the Wells Fargo Tower? You surely don't mean the Tenneco Building... I think your talking about the parking lot behind 1 Shell Plaza. That's where the Bank of the Southwest Tower would have gone.

You're right. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Houston's 3rd tallest skyscraper, Williams Tower is just a few feet shy of being as tall as the tallest in Dallas. The skylines of Houston make Dallas look small in comparison.

I looked up Dallas in World Book Encyclopedia. The photo made it look like downtown Dallas was real big. On that TV series "Dallas," the helicopter shot tried to do the same. I wonder why "Houston" wasn't chosen for that show? Why was "Dallas" selected? Because of that, a lot of people thought that Dallas was bigger than Houston.

The Dallas skyline is big, but Houston's dwarfs it in height & number of buildings. Houston's downtown is more comparible with Los Angeles, while Dallas is more on par with Denver. If it wasn't for Houston's lack of zoning laws, allowing multiple skylines to be scattered through out the city, the downtown core would be even more impressive than it already is & would look like a smaller Chicago. There are some skyline views around town that capture this effect when you can see all of the skylines in Houston line up together perfectly to form one breath taking sight.

we should get yao ming to stand on rudy T's shoulders on the roof to make jpmorgan chase taller than library.

Library is also on top of a huge hill, so it appears larger.

The Dallas skyline is big, but Houston's dwarfs it in height & number of buildings. Houston's downtown is more comparible with Los Angeles, while Dallas is more on par with Denver. If it wasn't for Houston's lack of zoning laws, allowing multiple skylines to be scattered through out the city, the downtown core would be even more impressive than it already is & would look like a smaller Chicago. There are some skyline views around town that capture this effect when you can see all of the skylines in Houston line up together perfectly to form one breath taking sight.

And that is from the 610 bridge. I saw that about three weeks ago. It looked like New York, no kidding.

I looked up Dallas in World Book Encyclopedia. The photo made it look like downtown Dallas was real big. On that TV series "Dallas," the helicopter shot tried to do the same. I wonder why "Houston" wasn't chosen for that show? Why was "Dallas" selected? Because of that, a lot of people thought that Dallas was bigger than Houston.

The show was going to be "Houston", but the Cowboys were winning their super bowl rings, and became "America's Team". The people in charge then changed the show title to "Dallas" thinking it would be more popular then "Houston".

The show was going to be "Houston", but the Cowboys were winning their super bowl rings, and became "America's Team". The people in charge then changed the show title to "Dallas" thinking it would be more popular then "Houston".

Yes, "Dallas" did start just after the Cowboys won Super Bowl XII. Bum Phillips didn't suceed in taking the Oilers to the playoffs until the next season.

source?

• 2 months later...

Archived