Cy-Fair ISD Approves Names For 2 New High Schools

Might as well just call the schools Cypress #9 and Cypress #10. :)

I am pretty suprised there are 10 high schools in that area. If you would have asked me before I read that post I would have sworn there were no more than 3 H.S. in Cy Fair.

The area is huge (ranging from the Champions Area all the way to Clay Rd and from Fairfield down to Tidwell), and the population has been booming over the past 20 years. There was a recent article in the Chronicle which mentioned that the projected population within Cy-Fair ISD in 2008 (when those two schools open) will have reached 750,000.

2005-06MAP%20(color).jpg

Edited by mrfootball

• 2 weeks later...
For the moment, it's in Cy-Fair ISD. But I've heard that Bridgeland will eventually go into Katy ISD and Waller ISD.

The Bridgelands will eventually be a part of Katy I.S.D. Not sure about Waller. The Bridgelands is almost twice the size of Cinco Ranch, too. Cy-Fair has already purchased a size in the middle of Bridgelands (off of the proposed Grand Parkway), for a three-school site (high, junior high, and elementary schools.). Depending on how fast Bridgelands grows, Katy I.S.D. will probably construct its seventh high school up that way.

The growth in both of these school districts are amazing. By 2008, Cy-Fair will have 750,000 residents, and Katy will have 250,000-300,000 (from 175,000 now).

Edited by Trae

Is there a map of how far Bridglands extends? The ones I've seen didn't have it crossing Clay Rd into Katy ISD territory.

There is a boundary where the Grand Parkway will eventually go up. The Grand Parkway would be the split between Cy-Fair and Katy I.S.D. If you look at the map of the Bridgelands, everything on the left is Katy I.S.D.

siteplanTEMP.jpg

The first phases are on the right, and those are Cy-Fair's residents. The next phases on the left are Katy's.

Also, if you see that blue-dotted line, before 290, at about House Hahl. All of that to the left is Katy I.S.D. North is Waller I.S.D.

So, if the Bridgelands is the Cinco Ranch of the northwest, I think Katy I.S.D. will need another High School up there. Cy-Fair probably needs another one (in addition to the one already proposed in Bridgelands).

Edited by Trae

I wonder how long it will take for those farmlands to be gobbled up. I actually don't want it to all happen, but Bridgelands and GP is taking that away.

529 looks like another prime freeway location for the area, too. Hope they do a "smart street" interchange with it at the GP.

Also:

* Based on data from 2005-2006 school year. Katy ISD is the fastest-growing school district in the Houston metro area and one of the fastest-growing in the state. Projections show a steady upswing throughout this decade, with total enrollment topping 83,000 by Fall 2015.
Edited by Trae

• 3 weeks later...

They need some better names for these high schools. 20 years later, your goning to say, "I graduated from Cy-Lakes (or Cy-Ranch) High School." That sounds like a stupid names. Atleast name the school after somebody.

Edited by Trae

Cy-Fair is well-known in academic circles for rewarding its best teachers by naming its schools after them. Pretty much every teacher ;) teaching at the district in the 1980's has an Elementary or Middle school named after them. There are a BUNCH of schools with more coming every year.

As far as the Cypress Woods...Cypress Lakes...Cypress Ranch...etc. so what? It works for them.

BTW, Klein does it too.

Edited by mrfootball

Katy, too Every Elementary school is named after somebody. Especially two years ago when around five new elem. schools, two junior highs, and a high school were built. The only HS in Katy named after someone is Taylor High.

• 2 months later...
Cy-Fair is well-known in academic circles for rewarding its best teachers by naming its schools after them. Pretty much every teacher ;) teaching at the district in the 1980's has an Elementary or Middle school named after them. There are a BUNCH of schools with more coming every year.

As far as the Cypress Woods...Cypress Lakes...Cypress Ranch...etc. so what? It works for them.

BTW, Klein does it too.

Houston ISD named several of its newer and older schools after veteran teachers too... I know that Ray K. Daily in west Houston is named after a teacher. So is Carrillo Elementary in the East End.

• 2 months later...
The Bridgelands will eventually be a part of Katy I.S.D. Not sure about Waller. The Bridgelands is almost twice the size of Cinco Ranch, too. Cy-Fair has already purchased a size in the middle of Bridgelands (off of the proposed Grand Parkway), for a three-school site (high, junior high, and elementary schools.). Depending on how fast Bridgelands grows, Katy I.S.D. will probably construct its seventh high school up that way.

The growth in both of these school districts are amazing. By 2008, Cy-Fair will have 750,000 residents, and Katy will have 250,000-300,000 (from 175,000 now).

There are currently no school sites in Bridgeland. Across the street from Bridgeland is a 3 school site (HS, MS and elem) that was purchased from Misher. I know CF has talked to Bridgeland about an elementary site, but that is it so far.

Also, Bridgeland will have three (3) school districts - Cy-Fair, Waller and Katy. Cy-fair extends pretty much to the Grand Parkway and is about half of the project. Waller has the majority of the rest, with Katy receiving the remainder on the south. I still think the Katy part is 1000+ acres, so still good, but not large enough to support a HS on its own accord.

You sure because this map shows otherwise. Also, there is more than just the Bridgelands up there being in Katy I.S.D., so another high school is going to be needed up there.

Yes, there is more than just Bridgeland up in that part of Katy, but the acerage in Bridgeland that is in Katy ISD is not enough to support a new HS on its own based on current ISD measures.

• The title was changed to Cy-Fair ISD Approves Names For 2 New High Schools