Development In Sam Houston National Forest

Work-related question: in what ways might development on private property in the Sam Houston National Forest be adversely affected by the regulatory environment? Anything at all?

Also, I know that the northeastern shores of Lake Conroe are within the National Forest...is that land privately held or publicly held?

If anybody knows, I'd be very much grateful.

Three questions:

1) What kind of development are you talking about? Mining or oil and gas operations? Home construction?

2) When did the development begin? Did it begin before the implementation of a certain regulation or after such regulation went into effect?

2) Which regulation are you referring to, if there is one in particular?

I ask because there is a doctrine (although that may be too strong of a word) in federal law commonly referred to as "valid existing rights." A lot of statutes affecting land use have that phrase in it...something like "this regulation shall not be construed to affect any and all valid existing rights." Problem is, no one knows what the definition of "valid existing rights" is (there have been over 7 definitions implemented over the past 20 years), so a simple answer is pretty difficult to give, especially if the legislation that created the Sam Houston National Forest has the "valid existing rights" language in it.

Three questions:

1) What kind of development are you talking about? Mining or oil and gas operations? Home construction?

2) When did the development begin? Did it begin before the implementation of a certain regulation or after such regulation went into effect?

2) Which regulation are you referring to, if there is one in particular?

I ask because there is a doctrine (although that may be too strong of a word) in federal law commonly referred to as "valid existing rights." A lot of statutes affecting land use have that phrase in it...something like "this regulation shall not be construed to affect any and all valid existing rights." Problem is, no one knows what the definition of "valid existing rights" is (there have been over 7 definitions implemented over the past 20 years), so a simple answer is pretty difficult to give, especially if the legislation that created the Sam Houston National Forest has the "valid existing rights" language in it.

Single Family Home subdivisions

Built new on greenfield sites

I don't know anything about any of the regulations (if any). That's part of what I wanted to find out.

• The title was changed to Development In Sam Houston National Forest

Archived