Walmart At FM 1093 And Grand Parkway

Well, the Kohl's finally opened last Sunday (April 6th). We went in a walked around - it was nice. Just a typical Kohl's! The Wal-Mart looks like it is getting closer but they still have some work to do before it will open.

Walmart has moved back the original April opening to June.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I welcome the new shops.

I am again dumbfounded at the lack of planning!!!

How in the *@#& can Grand Parkway handle this?? It is already getting very congested during peak hours.

Weren't they promising quicker traffic due to fewer exits? So much for that idea.

• 2 weeks later...
Why?

The date has been moved back even futher. Not sure why but I have heard a couple of rumors. The first one is that the near by residents complained about the noise and that the builders can't work on it after certain hours in order to keep the noise down. Second is that the developers don't want to complete the whole project till some of the traffic issues are corrected. This project started before the Wal-mart on Fry Road and is smaller so I would have thought that the one on the Grand Parkway would be completed first but the Fry Road is set to open the 1st part of May. Not sure if either one of these rumors are true but something is holding it up.

What other Wal-Mart on Fry road are you referring to? Somewhere North of I-10? I drove by the Wal-Mart on Grand Parkway - we actually went and shopped at the Kohl's. The Wal-Mart is no where near being ready to open. Don't get me wrong - they have made progress. The parking lot has been paved and striped and the exterior of the store is basically complete. One of the garden center doors was open and I was able to see inside the entire store - they do not have any fixtures (shelfs, racks, etc) installed yet. I would venture to guess it will take a number of weeks to install all fixtures, stock the entire store, train the new staff, etc.

What other Wal-Mart on Fry road are you referring to? Somewhere North of I-10? I drove by the Wal-Mart on Grand Parkway - we actually went and shopped at the Kohl's. The Wal-Mart is no where near being ready to open. Don't get me wrong - they have made progress. The parking lot has been paved and striped and the exterior of the store is basically complete. One of the garden center doors was open and I was able to see inside the entire store - they do not have any fixtures (shelfs, racks, etc) installed yet. I would venture to guess it will take a number of weeks to install all fixtures, stock the entire store, train the new staff, etc.

Yes it is North of I-10 on Fry Road at West Little York. It is a larger Wal-Mart than the one on the Grand Parkway and will open before it. It is strange that they started building it after the Grand Parkway store but yet it is going to open 5 months before it. Like I said in my previous post something is holding up the Grand Parkway store.

How do you know that it has moved back to September or November? June is believable...September / November is a little less believable. Two weeks ago the parking lot was not paved...this past weekend it was finished. They are still moving forward - like I mentioned in my last post it just seems that they still have the "pretty" stuff on the inside to finish.

Do you have some other knowledge that tells you otherwise?

The opening has moved back to September or November.

Katy since 78,

This board is designed to provide quality information to its members. We would all appreciate back-up data on comments unless they are just your personal opinion. If you have a link to an article or know an inside source, please provide it.

I agree with comments I have read that traffic congestion should be addressed prior to opening the Walmart.

If this is the case, I can understand a delay for a few months but I also believe that the traffic changes were in motion prior to the start of construciton.

Also, I believe a slower economy may be delaying this store..........but Walmart is #1 at this time due to the ecomony.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/for...shots/2255.html

Katy since 78,

This board is designed to provide quality information to its members. We would all appreciate back-up data on comments unless they are just your personal opinion. If you have a link to an article or know an inside source, please provide it.

I agree with comments I have read that traffic congestion should be addressed prior to opening the Walmart.

If this is the case, I can understand a delay for a few months but I also believe that the traffic changes were in motion prior to the start of construciton.

Also, I believe a slower economy may be delaying this store..........but Walmart is #1 at this time due to the ecomony.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/for...shots/2255.html

I do appreciate the information this site provides and I do hope that it is all quality information. I can tell you that I do know someone at Wal-Mart and the opening date is not based on an opinion. There is no concrete opening date until closer to the actually date. I know for sure that it is not opening till at least September due to several issues. I have even heard more rumors that it may now even be pushed back to next year. I don't know of exactly one incident that has slowed it down but I would think that Wal-Mart would like it opened sooner than later due to their favorable position in the market now due to the economy and they are sitting on some valuable real estate with no income to show for it.

I'm still hoping Best Buy goes down there. And maybe the thread title could be changed to "Shops at Bella Terra".

They appear to have inked a couple of new tenants (Quizno's and AT&T Mobility) in the last couple of weeks, hopefully the big spaces will start to fill. More decent restaurants would be nice...but I'm not optimistic.

Houston City Council (or whoever), release your damn ETJ that you know you will not annex. I'm out for the night.

Is their anything that we as the "people" can do to either get the City of Houston NOT to annex the unicorporated part of Katy, or make Katy incorporate "south Katy"??

I have no idea. The last time Houston released ETJ near Katy was for Katy Mills Mall. I think Katy had to pay a small fee or something. I doubt Houston would want to annex any of the suburban communities like Cinco Ranch, so I have no idea why the ETJ is still there.

I have no idea. The last time Houston released ETJ near Katy was for Katy Mills Mall. I think Katy had to pay a small fee or something. I doubt Houston would want to annex any of the suburban communities like Cinco Ranch, so I have no idea why the ETJ is still there.

I heard the Wal-Mart that was being built was going to be an "upscale-Wal-Mart". Can anyone confirm this, I mean, they defanitly have the demographics for it!!

0322walmart1.jpg

post-4751-1209522181_thumb.jpg

I heard the Wal-Mart that was being built was going to be an "upscale-Wal-Mart". Can anyone confirm this, I mean, they defanitly have the demographics for it!!

0322walmart1.jpg

it doesnt look as white and gross! ha a walmart like this would be good. and i agree with traes comment.

it doesnt look as white and gross! ha a walmart like this would be good. and i agree with traes comment.

This store will not be upscale like the one up in the Plano area (the outside of the store would be much more upscale than it is now). It may actually have a few items that are upscale for a Wal-mart like the store that just opened in the Spring/Woodlands area, such as an expanded wine section with bottles up to $250. It will actually be a little smaller than the other area Super Wal-Marts. I believe it will be about 189,000 square feet vs. about 204,000 square feet.

This store will not be upscale like the one up in the Plano area (the outside of the store would be much more upscale than it is now). It may actually have a few items that are upscale for a Wal-mart like the store that just opened in the Spring/Woodlands area, such as an expanded wine section with bottles up to $250. It will actually be a little smaller than the other area Super Wal-Marts. I believe it will be about 189,000 square feet vs. about 204,000 square feet.

aww oh well

I'm still having trouble using Wal-Mart and upscale in the same sentence.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived