Independence Heights Information & Developments

TAK

I've always wondered why residents of the Independence Heights call it or refer to it at Studewood.  As far as I know Studewood ends in the Sunset Heights area. While looking this up I found some information from the 30's and 40's that once you crossed 31st street that area was know as N*^*er Town back then. I was wondering if maybe back then before 610 if Studewood  went on into Independence Heights

This is stage, the black residents of today have been calling that area Studewood for some time now, I can remember as far back as the mid 90's but I don't know when they first started calling it Studewood instead of  Independance Heights. I know one exsample of people calling a neighborhood something else other than what it's name was, it's a small section in the Denver Harbor area across from what use to be called Englewood. The Hispanic residents there called it "El Crisol" because of the smell of the tar that was used on the tran tracks; but I still don't see how Studewood relates to Independence Heights.

That area is Independence Heights-not Studewood. It's very historic but parts are very scarey at the same time. Alot of artists are relocating to the northern portions, however.

indhtsmaps.jpg independence.gif

For some reason or another people from the Independence Heights area call it Studewood. I've bee trying to find out why.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/27853-studewood-or-independence-heights/?p=420230

Edited by sinister1

This is stage, the black residents of today have been calling that area Studewood for some time now, I can remember as far back as the mid 90's but I don't know when they first started calling it Studewood instead of  Independance Heights.

My mother grew up in that neighborhood in the 40s-60s and they were referring to that area as Studewood way back then.

• Like 1

My mother grew up in that neighborhood in the 40s-60s and they were referring to that area as Studewood way back then.

I'm still wondering as to how Studewood would relate to Independence Heights? I currently stay near Acres Homes and I see the bus route that's 44. Wow the 40-60's. Someone must know as to why the neighborhood is nick named Studewood or Studewood Texas.

I'm still wondering as to how Studewood would relate to Independence Heights? I currently stay near Acres Homes and I see the bus route that's 44. Wow the 40-60's. Someone must know as to why the neighborhood is nick named Studewood or Studewood Texas.

I think the neighborhood was a little more continuous in those days and thought of as one general area. N. Main runs straight up from Studewood to Independence Heights. 610 was built around 1962 and created a border of sorts. Highways have been known to do that. The referral to the area as Studewood is probably a carryover from those pre-610 days.

Edited by JLWM8609

Grew up there and went to the same local h.school as my Parents & Grandparents. My family has lived in the area since the 30's and it's always been Studewood until you refer to the "The Heights", at this point "Independence Heights" generally comes into the discussion as Studewood is part of the "Independence Heights". They are one in the same, just when describing the the location it's easier to speak in terms of the "The Heights".

Edited by sowanome

Hi guys thanks for your answers but this still doesn't explain why the two names. I've looked at maps going back to the 20's and Studewood has always ended where it runs into 23rd and Gibss I think it is the name of the other street in the Sunset Heights area. I know from History that people of that neighborhood named it Independence Heights to distinguish them selves apart from the back then racist neighborhood of the Heights.

I did a little bit of research:

Henry Stude owned the land where Studewood street is today.  I don't believe he ever owned the land where Independence Heights is.

I get the impression that Stude's Woods were somewhere (or all) along present-day Studewood south of Sunset Heights.

However, I did run across the fact that the streetcar line (and later bus route #44) that served Independence Heights was called the Studewood.

The streetcar turned around at 30th and N.Main.  Maybe the residents back then would say they lived at the end of the Studewood line and they eventually just started calling where they were going Studewood.  And since there was no real "Stude's Woods" anymore (after the subdivisions filled in)......Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:  Not sure when Metro (or its forerunner) changed the 44 from Studewood to Acres Homes.

Edited by gnu
  • Like 1

Hi gun,

Here is a copy of the bus route for the 44 Acres Homes(http://www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/Pdfs/044-acres.pdf). I looks like it only comes near the Independence Heights area when it comes down Crosstimbers but it never comes directly through the neighborhood like the 66 Yale does. Do you happen to have a copy of the old Street Cart route by any chance so we could compare?

I think you are really on to something here. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

The Sullivan Brothers Builders are purchasing lots in Independence Heights and are getting ready to start building new homes. Anyone heard what the homes will be selling for? Would be a great opportunity to get in before the prices skyrocket.

Any idea exactly where?

They tend to buy large chunks of land (often formerly industrial) where they can do 20+ home projects. At least that's been the case in the Heights (W 23rd, W 17th, and now 700 block of Ashland).

No idea what they are doing in Independence Heights.  Stating the obvious, that neighborhood is pretty tough.  They will not be getting 650k+ up there like they are getting inside the Heights proper.  They are building up by Exxon in Spring and are asking $450k to 600k for basically the same sort of product they are building in the Heights.  With the land cost significantly lower north of 610 and with a discount for being a pioneer in the neighborhood, I would guess that they will price the new development between $400k and 550k.

The corner of Europa and 35th, 3500 block of Cornel and Omega St. With more to come. I've also noticed other new construction in the area. Once the building gets underway lots will go fast as the area is not that big and IH is not in as bad a shape as the Proper Heights was before its transformation started. I'm buying now.

Interesting. I have always wondered if the gentrification line would jump into Independence Heights from Sunset Heights and Garden Oaks, or whether the area would retain a sharp socio-economic divide like Bellaire and Gulfton.

Independence Heights is currently pretty rough, but it does possess a number of attributes that could make it attractive to developers and homebuyers priced out of the adjacent Heights and Garden Oaks neighborhoods:

• The location of Independence Heights provides convenient access to Loop 610 and I-45, linking the area to Downtown, the Galleria, IAH, and the Woodlands.
  • The location of Independence Heights also provides convenient non-freeway access to the popular Inner-Loop areas west of Downtown, as well as the increasingly popular Garden Oaks/Oak Forest area directly to the West.
  • There is a lot of vacant land in the area that easily lends itself to redevelopment.
  • Land prices are considerably lower than the adjacent Heights and Garden Oaks neighborhoods.
  • The lack of land use restrictions in the area can facilitate redevelopment.

It's definitely an area to watch...

Edited by 9075

The corner of Europa and 35th, 3500 block of Cornel and Omega St. With more to come. I've also noticed other new construction in the area. Once the building gets underway lots will go fast as the area is not that big and IH is not in as bad a shape as the Proper Heights was before its transformation started. I'm buying now.

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off of the ground over this statement. As someone that was reared in the Sunset Heights, directly across 610 from Studewood. ..err Independence Heights, this historical reflection (and whoever originated it) is inaccurate.

The Heights has had some pretty rough patches throughout its history, but it can not hold a candle to the decay, desperation, and blight that is north of 610 and south of Crosstimbers.

I am certainly glad to hear that the growth and redevelopment is moving north of the Loop. As a property owner in the area north of there, I can only hope that the growth and new development will continue northward so I can drop our rental in Parkway for more than the $80k it's currently appraised for.

I hope any potential buyers know what they are facing. Take a look at San Julio Manor on Yale, right down the street from Barkwood. A collection of homes, in a gated community, that listed prices starting at only $225k on their sign. It was supposed to be the first in a line of redevelopment along Yale. Well, the only thing that has been developed along Yale is the windowless Kingdom Hall right down the street, and that's it. Barkwood is still a complete mess of an apartment complex, the businesses around San Julio are still loitering friendly, oh and let's not forget the various prostitutes and pimps that use San Julio's brick wall as a showcase backdrop.

I don't mean to be all doom and gloom, but anyone "pioneering" in this area is going to have some surprises in store for them, if they're not familiar with the area.

My best advice if you do buy? Lock your doors and stay in the gate after dark.

Funniest comment in this thread. You have got to be kidding me.I remember that area well and you cant compare the Proper Heights and IH. Are you a builder?

I'd put my money in Northside Village gentrifying before Independence Heights.

• Like 2

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=18552394&v=s

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=56182015&v=s

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=91104359&v=s

Lot value in Independence Heights is pretty minimal.  I am tempted to call bs on the claim that Sullivan Brothers is building up there.  Yale St. remains as a significant Maginot line for redevelopment.  Too many really, really bad elements in Independence Heights to see the kind of redevelopment that is happening in GOOF and south of 610.  

Chech HCAD and see if the Sullivan Brothers are buying in IH you don't have to take my word. It's a natural progression. When people can't afford the Proper Heights or GOOF, IH is your only option in that immediate area. Especially with the redevelopment of Crosstimber that's about to get started just to the north and Booker T Washington High School is going to be torn down and rebuilt with the addition of a new stadium. IH is changing right before our eyes. The lots that you posted that are for sale look to see what they were selling for a year ago. How many properties are for sale in IH? The last time i checked maybe a handful. If you wait to see the big beautiful homes goin up. Thats a sign that you waited too long.

If you wait to see the big beautiful homes goin up. Thats a sign that you waited too long.

If you wait a little longer, those big beautiful homes will have spray paint covering them, and the special treat of crack rock scents waffling out the windows.

Need an example of current renovations being done exactly as I've described? Drive by the Concord Church on Main. There's a historical building that is an original part of Studewood, rich in heritage. Work began on the restoration, and wouldn't you know it, they replaced all of the broken glasses, and cleaned up the exterior extensively...and then again...and then again...and then, you get the point.

If land is so valuable in IH, please explain to me the parcel of land surrounded by Crosstimbers, Main, Yale, and East 45th. That's been a huge vacant lot for the better part of 20 years now.

I'd also say that Booker T. will be demoed when snowflakes start dropping you know where, but Phyllis Wheatley's demise further proves nothing is sacred in this town.

Good luck to the builders, and most importantly to the future homeowners looking to scoop up one of these big, beautiful homes that are to be built. Independence Heights is not for the faint of heart.

Sullivan brothers does own property in IH. Also Houze develepor has been building new homes in IH for a couple of years now. I think the area south of the rail road will gentrify and redevelop soon.

So they do own a couple of lots.  I really have a hard time seeing them do their usual product here.  Maybe they are going to do something cheaper and try to entice the lower end of the market into the neighborhood to try to be the pioneers.  Anyone who can pay $400k+ will have a long list of better options.  I do not see anyone willing to spend more that $300k to be a pioneer in IH. 

I will say that this neighborhood is a bit reminiscent of Cottage Grove fifteen years ago.  But there were some huge tracts in Cottage Grove that Frank Liu and others developer that really helped push the area past the "pioneering" stage.  And, Cottage Grove is within walking and stumbling distance from Memorial Park and Washington Ave.  IH is close in, but you will still need a car to get to most everything.  I also do not see those same sort of opportunities in terms of a big development or two leading the way for others.  It will be a lot by lot battle that will take a very long time to get the kind of momentum going to really open up the area.