Independence Heights Information & Developments

TAK

I.H. isn't really that ghetto compared to 3rd ward and 5th ward. ____, crack dealers are in every hood.

Next time you're heading north on Yale or Main, take a turn off into the neighborhood. Its not as nice as you think.

Looking for gay sex? Oh wait, I don't have to tell YOU where to find that do I.

Whores and crack in IH really has nothing to do with gay sex-unless that's your lame way of deflecting from the subject of whores and crack in IH.

B)

Sooner or later, it will be taken over by yuppies. Basically anything close to downtown will be a reflection of what its midtown. Just take a look at EAST END...is slowly developing into another Midtown.

In my own personal opinion, i don't really dig the new townhomes...they look very "cheap" made. I would rather want for homeowners to restore old buildings (like the old firehouse from another thread) around the houston area and turn them into lofts...now that would keep the history of Houston from vanishing.

ih is 'outside the loop' tho... other than uptown, i haven't seen many townhomes outside the loop...

i'd think independence heights would end up being homes like heights and shady acres (minus the townhomes)... no yard, but not a townhouse per se...

but then again, if i bought it, i'd probably build 'affordable' MFHs and sell/lease.

I live adjacent and have never known it to flood.

B)

Generally, everything north of 610 to Crosstimbers and west of 45 to Airline is in the 100 year flood plain. West of Airline to North Main is in "Zone X". The flood plain south of the Loop is limted to an area around 29th and Airline. Look at the map for more info. (www.tsarp.org).

Many of the lots in IH are vacant because the owners were flooded out, had no insurance and couldn't afford to rebuild. If you look at the tax delinquency rate in IH, it is sky high. There are two or three properites in the Harris County Tax sale every month.

• 1 month later...
On what grounds are you convincing yourself that Washington and Riverside Terraces are part of the third ward? They're totally separate subdivisions, with different layouts, built for different income groups. The Heights doesn't call itself the sixth ward, and Rice Miltary doesn't proclaim itself as the first ward.

We forget that the "wards" were the precursor to what we now call "city counsel districts" and each ward contained several "neighborhoods" and "sub-divisions".

We ususally use the term "ward" in it's historical sense. As I recall, there were at least six wards prior to the "change" in city governemnt.

• Like 1

So what's the consensus? Is now the time to start investing in IH?

Anybody got an idea of what lot values are up there? HAR only has one documented sale this year ($5.50psf) and everything else is between $2.25 and $2.75.

If its all the same, I'd rather go with Central Park or Magnolia Park than IH. At least most of the East End doesn't flood.

• 6 months later...

With the Heights being outrageously overpriced for the world's smallest house...how long before the area known as Studewood off North Main north of 610 gets serious consideration from developers?

The area features great access and is nothing but alot of churches and older homes and the kids aren't returning to settle in the area and the older residents are getting up in age.

Do you think the area will shift since right across the freeway it's a boom? Is it time to start looking for land close to 610 hope for a nice profit?

With the Heights being outrageously overpriced for the world's smallest house...how long before the area known as Studewood off North Main north of 610 gets serious consideration from developers?

The area features great access and is nothing but alot of churches and older homes and the kids aren't returning to settle in the area and the older residents are getting up in age.

Do you think the area will shift since right across the freeway it's a boom? Is it time to start looking for land close to 610 hope for a nice profit?

That area is Independence Heights-not Studewood. It's very historic but parts are very scarey at the same time. Alot of artists are relocating to the northern portions, however.

indhtsmaps.jpgindependence.gif

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...es/II/hri7.html

Independence Heights used to be its own city - It was later annexed into Houston.

...was the first African-American town incorporated in Texas, a town with a disappearing history.

http://indepheights.rice.edu/about.htm

There are tax advantages to investing in the original Independence Heights-see my map in post #3-but if the disadvantages appear to outweigh the advantages, then actual developement will be a long time in coming. As an investor, I would advise buying raw land and holding it for the time being if you can afford it. We live just south of IH and note that while it hasn't increased in desirabilty, it has not decreased. Like hbcu stated, it is in a great location and is prime for redevelopment in the near future.

Edited by nmainguy

You can't beat its location no matter who lives there...the area isn't overlay crazy and alot of the people are moving further north anyway so eventually it's setting up for a change.

another spot I recommend watching is 5th ward near 610.....alot of rental properties there and an industrial area in addition to not being the best environment but you can't beat the location.

But for now...Independence Heights is worth taking a look at

• 1 year later...

Got this press release in the e-mail today.

--------------

METRO VOLUNTEER ADOPTS ALL INDEPENDENCE HEIGHTS AREA BUS STOPS/SHELTERS TO HELP KEEP COMMUNITY SAFE

post-1-1226075088.jpg

One Houstonian is rolling up his sleeves and making a big difference, with METRO

Adopt-a-Stop is great and an easy way to improve an area.

http://www.ridemetro.org/SafetySecurity/MP.../AdoptStop.aspx

As a volunteer to the Adopt-a-Stop and Adopt-a- Shelter programs, you or your organization will receive:

* Five round-trip bus tickets per month

* Free trash bags

* Adopt-a-Stop sign recognizing your neighborhood or organization (if you choose) affixed to the trash container

* An official "Adoption Certificate" signed by METRO's President" CEO and Chief of Police

* Media release to local newspapers so you or your organization receive the recognition you deserve

* Opportunity to contribute to community beautification

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure if it's "worth" redeveloping, but there are a couple of organizations wishing to try an preserve the more valuable areas and promote economic and small business development. Here are some links:

http://www.houstonhope.org/Neighborhoods/IndependenceHeights/tabid/70/Default.aspx

http://www.ihrchouston.org/index.html

So what's the consensus? Is now the time to start investing in IH?

I would say no due to the flooding and...have you driven around there? I wouldn't turn off of Yale onto a side street for anything. But, Midtown used to be a dangerous place, and now look. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for northside improvement (I grew up on the northside), but IH is rough.

Why is that such a mistake? The intended original income strata for which something was platted and restricted determines numerous attributes about the area such as lot size, layout, and types and quality of construction, all of which are attributes which overwhelmingly define the character of the neighborhood.

Technically nothing. The 3rd ward encompasses whatever streets were laid out when the ward system was disbanded in 1906. That's how all the other wards in town are defined. Anything subsequent to that point was named something else.

Well, if geography is the defining criteria, then I don't see the need for more than one category, since geography is defined as the physical features of an area, and the physical feature of Houston consists of...well....FLAT. I suppose you could have two geographical areas...one for the more southerly area of town, with costal plains, and then another area comprised of the coastal forests found on the north side of town.

Just look at the old ward maps, that will tell you where the 3rd ward is.

FYI when referring to old maps - One of the links above states that Independence Heights was originally named Studewood.

I've been hunting but I can't find any evidence to back this up. I have seen the name Stude on one of the old maps. Does anyone know? Maybe he owned acreage that was sold to developers. Also saw somewhere that Studewood Dr. or Rd. was originally named Studemont.

BTW, there are many "Heights" neighborhoods on those maps. Must have been a popular name for neighborhoods back then, Studewood Hts, Sunset Hts, Independence Hts, Highland Hts. woodland Hts. etc.

Edited by NenaE