World's Largest Indoor Amusement Park At 8400 Kirby Dr.

I saw a commercial about "the world's largest indoor theme park" (or something like that) in the Astrodome. Got a bit excited until they said it would open in June, so I knew it couldn't be anything big or we would have heard about it long ago. Turns out it's a summer thing (June & July). Probably a bunch of rinky-dink, gypsy run carnival rides.

However it got me thinking, do you think maybe they're testing the waters for something more grand and permanent?

• Like 1

I saw a commercial about "the world's largest indoor theme park" (or something like that) in the Astrodome. Got a bit excited until they said it would open in June, so I knew it couldn't be anything big or we would have heard about it long ago. Turns out it's a summer thing (June & July). Probably a bunch of rinky-dink, gypsy run carnival rides.

However it got me thinking, do you think maybe they're testing the waters for something more grand and permanent?

Interesting. I wouldn't doubt it. The city needs to do something with the Astrodome. But at the same time, they just can't give someone a 30 year lease to "experiment" with it.

I would check it out, I like parks where I can enjoy the intimacy of the moon lighting. Not sure how that will work out at the dome.

http://www.murphybrothersexposition.com/

This is the carnival operator that will be in the dome for two weeks. I believe tickets are $20, since that's what they are listed for on Ticketmaster.

I might go just to check out the Carnies and the Riff Raff.

I too saw the word Sex in the link and almost did not click it. I am at work !!!!

Edited by Trophy Property

So I take it that this thing will be a little better than the dimebox, flea circus carnivals that are in the shopping center and mall parking lots all the time (I promise you it seems that Northwest Mall has one every other month at least).

I think the cool idea is that this could be one of the first (and maybe this company's first) indoor, climate controlled, full carnival.

I've been to little carnivals in the Georgia Dome (IAAPA convention) and it's kind of nifty.

And yeah, the operator of this thing is "Murphy Brothers Exposition". It's a funny URL though and legit to click on - be warned it plays some funky music. Still can't believe they registered that one.

Anyway, here's a little more info:

"World's Largest Indoor Amusement Park"

Description: World's Largest Indoor Amusement Park. Rides include DropZone, Century Wheel, Bumper Cars, Spin Out and many more.

June 22-July 4;

Hours:

Monday-Thursday; 6 p.m.-11 p.m.

Friday; 6 p.m.-Midnight

Saturday; 12 p.m.-Midnight

Sunday; Noon-11 p.m.

Tickets: $20 for all, children 2 years and older need a ticket toenter. Price includes entry and rides. Price does not includefood/beverage and games of chance. Tickets go on sale Friday, June 9 at10 a.m. at all Ticketmaster outlets, by phone at 713.629.3700, onlineat www.ticketmaster.com and Reliant Stadium South ticket windows.

Ahhh... I thought some of their pictures looked familiar. They do the Wisconsin State Fair and Summerfest each year. I can't say I've ridden any of their rides for several years but certainly when I was a little kid growing up in Wisconsin each summer.

Come to find out, that this was done in the Superdome as well and it was quite popular. Would make sense considering that they didn't have a theme park as well.

Maybe this will breathe some life into the old girl and become a permanent fixture? Lord knows they could more easily replace the rides for a change of pace.

Anone been here yet. I would be interesed as to thoughts. I am sorta of interested, but probably will blow it off as I hate crowds.

I would love it if someone took their camera along. I would like to see what the old dome is looking like on the inside these days. Thanks.

Anone been here yet. I would be interesed as to thoughts. I am sorta of interested, but probably will blow it off as I hate crowds.

I would love it if someone took their camera along. I would like to see what the old dome is looking like on the inside these days. Thanks.

I haven't been and probably won't make it, but here is a link to a post on an Astroworld tribute site I frequent with a few pictures. I really miss Astroworld and my yearly coaster fix.

http://www.sixflagshouston.com/forums/view...er=asc&start=45

Edited by soifan

I haven't been and probably won't make it, but here is a link to a post on an Astroworld tribute site I frequent with a few pictures. I really miss Astroworld and my yearly coaster fix.

http://www.sixflagshouston.com/forums/view...er=asc&start=45

"You have been banned from this forum."

can anyone post some pics here?

EDIT: I got someone to send me links to the pics which I could get to. Thanks.

Edited by skwatra

Skwatra, what did you do to get yourself banned from a Six Flags forum. That is hillarious. >:)

i have no idea, i thought i had been there before when astroworld was closing.

i go through a proxy so there's about 150,000 people at my company that could have caused me to be banned there. oh well...

• 1 month later...

I went.

It was just awesome walking into to dome. All those memories of my past came rushing in as I looked at the translucent lights. I looked and say the astros NL West and Central "Banners" and the State Flag and all that. After the nostalgia wore off, I was saying to myself, this place is a damn dump.

I was thinking man... this is where all these Katrina evacuees hung out.

The guy at the ferris wheel didn't talk. He mumbled like a true carnie.

This one ride operator was an asshole. straight up asshole.

I think the best ride there was that one where you laid on your stomach, and you felt like super man.

and that slide was pretty fun.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to World's Largest Indoor Amusement Park At 8400 Kirby Dr.
  • The title was changed to World's Largest Indoor Amusement Park At 8400 Kirby Dr.