St. Luke's Plans Obstetrics Building

St. Luke's plans to quit obstetrics

Maternity services would shift to Texas Children's

TEXAS Children's Hospital would gain maternity services under a deal being negotiated with St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital.

The deal to transfer St. Luke's obstetrics unit, driven by financial and capacity issues, has prompted Texas Children's to plan a new wing, a 20-story building that leaders hope will break ground next year and be completed in 2010.

"We are dedicated to putting together world-class comprehensive maternity services, with a special emphasis on high-risk pregnancies," said Mark Wallace, president and CEO of Texas Children's. "We expect it to be very attractive to families in the community and draw patients from around the region."

link... http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/3924065.html

• Like 1

St. Luke's plans to quit obstetrics

Maternity services would shift to Texas Children's

TEXAS Children's Hospital would gain maternity services under a deal being negotiated with St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital.

The deal to transfer St. Luke's obstetrics unit, driven by financial and capacity issues, has prompted Texas Children's to plan a new wing, a 20-story building that leaders hope will break ground next year and be completed in 2010.

"We are dedicated to putting together world-class comprehensive maternity services, with a special emphasis on high-risk pregnancies," said Mark Wallace, president and CEO of Texas Children's. "We expect it to be very attractive to families in the community and draw patients from around the region."

link... http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/3924065.html

3.4 acres adjacent to the main campus? Where might that be, precisely? The only 'vacant' spot in that immediate area that comes to my mind is around the old Prudential Bank building...

Its amazing to me that the TMC is able to grow by such leaps and bounds. When I last counted six months ago, it had nearly 5,000,000 square feet in the credible construction pipeline and was nearing half the size of all the downtown office buildings in terms of square footage.

I'm running through the layout of TMC in my mind, and the only land that is currently available is the Crowne plaza/Wellsfargo Land. There was a recent article on the purchaser of this land, but I can't seem to find who the purchased it, nor can I find the information in chron.com

I know they are demo'ing a building near The Smith Tower, could this be it?

The site for the new hospital will be where the Wells Fargo Banks is on Fannin, btwn O'Quinn Tower (st Lukes Tower), and the new Texas Women University. The Fargo Bank is slated to close. The Crowne Plaza Hotel next door has has already closed. Texas Childrens Hospital has already purchased the land.

The title of this thread appears to be incorrect. Isn't it Texas Children's building this facility?

The demolition of the old Methodist Diagnostic Clinic that was mentioned is to make way for the new Outpatient Care Center (next to the Smith Tower).

I am out of Houston, but when you said the bank site, I hope you mean that drive-thru one-story structure. Is that right?

• 2 months later...
The title of this thread appears to be incorrect. Isn't it Texas Children's building this facility?

The demolition of the old Methodist Diagnostic Clinic that was mentioned is to make way for the new Outpatient Care Center (next to the Smith Tower).

I am out of Houston, but when you said the bank site, I hope you mean that drive-thru one-story structure. Is that right?

Texas Children's Hospital bought both the Wells Fargo building and the Crowne Plaza hotel, both right across the street from the main TCH campus. Speculation is both will be torn down and the new 20-floor obstetrics hospital will be where the Crowne Plaza currently is. Catwalks (people movers) going across the street from the new obstetrics building would go to both TCH's West Tower and TCH's CCC building - forming a VERY impressive and very HIGH catwalk between the three buildings.

Kevin Jackson

• The title was changed to St. Luke's Plans Obstetrics Building