Mary's Mural

wendyps

Someone please tell me I saw that wrong. Yesterday I'm pretty sure I saw that the debauchery that was once Mary's Mural has been painted over!!! That is awful! Does anyone know the story? Is Mary's still open (I saw someone go in). I don't live in Montrose anymore, so I rarely see it, but I used to drive past it every day and get such a kick out of that mural!

Someone please tell me I saw that wrong. Yesterday I'm pretty sure I saw that the debauchery that was once Mary's Mural has been painted over!!! That is awful! Does anyone know the story? Is Mary's still open (I saw someone go in). I don't live in Montrose anymore, so I rarely see it, but I used to drive past it every day and get such a kick out of that mural!

yes - it is now an off-white wall :(

i don't get it!

yeah what is up with that. I looked foward to seeing that mural whenever i'm in the area. When I did pass by it was gone.

That is a shame. It was added much flavor to the already flavorful area. Is the bar still open. I will admit to going there before when I lived in the area. Fun place even for a chubby straigt guy like myslelf.

i was irked a few months ago when it got tagged.

i've lived in montrose for 12 years and had never seen it tagged.

the person's name only covered the solid green area of the pool table

so i thought they could fix it easily... maybe it was tagged again and

they gave up?

this goes back to my usual complaint about tagging. permanent

damage to someone else's property, just to scrawl their name

on all wall with the talent of a first grader...

i was irked a few months ago when it got tagged.

i've lived in montrose for 12 years and had never seen it tagged.

the person's name only covered the solid green area of the pool table

so i thought they could fix it easily... maybe it was tagged again and

they gave up?

this goes back to my usual complaint about tagging. permanent

damage to someone else's property, just to scrawl their name

on all wall with the talent of a first grader...

I could not agree more. How rediculous is it to tag that mural. It added so much character to that building. Taggers should be shot !!!!

Ok maybe put in jail for a few weeks.

I could not agree more. How rediculous is it to tag that mural. It added so much character to that building. Taggers should be shot !!!!

Ok maybe put in jail for a few weeks.

No, shot is better.

This is really sad. It was a big part of the character of Montrose.

That is a shame. It was added much flavor to the already flavorful area. Is the bar still open. I will admit to going there before when I lived in the area. Fun place even for a chubby straigt guy like myslelf.

SSSSUUUUUUUURRRRREEEEEEE Trophy, if you say so. I believe ya ! ;)

(psssst........nmain said to PM him, whatever that means.)

Taggers also hit the cool mural on 59 across from GRB. This is one of my faves. You can only see it from the elevated.

The stupid tagger just wrothe their name in Gothic Ghetto font.

THANKFULLY the real artist fixed it. This is one cool mural that we need to get a picture of.

Does anyone else know which one I am talking about? From one angle it looks like aliens, and from the other it looks like a rolling highway.

No, shot is better.

This is really sad. It was a big part of the character of Montrose.

I think a better punishment would be to take the tagger to his/her Mothers living room and say "do that wall over there" Talk about a reformation. :D

I just noticed this this morning... they did leave what looks like a cat sitting on a barstool...

That's Mr. Balls. He wandered into Mary's when he was barely more than a kitten, and decided to stay. He was named Mr. Balls because he had the most extraordinary testicles. They were enormous! Had his own barstool, and would get quite pissy with anyone who tried to move him. I've seen fights nearly break out when some of Mr. Ball's human friends would defend his turf against newcomers who didn't understand that he held an exulted position in that bar. Mr. Balls was a fixture for about 10 years, before he finally succombed to cancer - the effects of too much second-hand smoke, I assume.

Was sorry to hear that the rest of the mural had been painted over, as I knew some of the people depicted. The bartender with the leather cap was Will ("Wilhelmina"), the plump lady at the bar was Cassandra, the portly fellow in leather harness was Scotty. He used to do Mary's front windows when they changed on a weekly basis, and was also the artist who painted that mural.

I just hope Mary's doesn't replace its photo bartop, as there's a picture of me on it, circa 1983.

• 1 month later...
That's Mr. Balls. He wandered into Mary's when he was barely more than a kitten, and decided to stay. He was named Mr. Balls because he had the most extraordinary testicles. They were enormous! Had his own barstool, and would get quite pissy with anyone who tried to move him. I've seen fights nearly break out when some of Mr. Ball's human friends would defend his turf against newcomers who didn't understand that he held an exulted position in that bar. Mr. Balls was a fixture for about 10 years, before he finally succombed to cancer - the effects of too much second-hand smoke, I assume.

Was sorry to hear that the rest of the mural had been painted over, as I knew some of the people depicted. The bartender with the leather cap was Will ("Wilhelmina"), the plump lady at the bar was Cassandra, the portly fellow in leather harness was Scotty. He used to do Mary's front windows when they changed on a weekly basis, and was also the artist who painted that mural.

I just hope Mary's doesn't replace its photo bartop, as there's a picture of me on it, circa 1983.

This was on the new Houston Press blog about the mural.

So I guess there is a new one coming. No pun intended.

• 7 months later...

Yes, Mary's is still open...hopefully for a long, long time!

Does anyone have a better picture of the Mural than the one linked to at the Houston Press article?

Yes. I have a friend who's selling prints of the mural. I don't have his contact info at the moment, but will PM you once I do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived