nmainguy leads Mister X and Subdude in a chorus of Kumbaya :wub:

B)

Midtown coog and I have to be somewhere in the race

agree. but dfw versus houston is always a fun lunchtime distraction :D

That's why I brought this up :D

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I'm from DFW (FW, originally but live in Dallas now) and I'm proud to be from the DFW area... BUT, most people in Dallas will be the first to tell you how completely screwed up the city government (of Dallas) is. That's no secret to anyone! They used to televise the School Board meetings when they were at each other's throats and being arrested for trying to beat each other up at meetings... They had to bring in the police to keep the meetings under control. It was ridiculous. I always thought that the Dallas School Board and City Council meetings (back when Mayor Miller was just on the City Council and causing trouble for then mayor Ron Kirk) should be sold on Pay Per View right along side WWF events! The biggest problem that Dallas has is it's city government, starting with Laura Miller! The city government in Dallas gives the worst possible impression of the city. I personally think the city of Dallas would be better off dumping their entire form of city government, firing all the city officials (mayor, city council, etc) and just starting over from scratch with a whole new city government. But, even if they did that the racial tension in the city would still be there... and that would put us right back as square one.

Of course, every city - just like every person - has faults. It's just as easy to find problems in Houston, LA, New York... or any other big American city for that matter. And, we're dealing with public image here - stereotypes. Nothing more, nothing less. Stereotypes are based on personal experiences. I know Houston is a great city for many reason, but I personally don't enjoy going to Houston for my own personal reason (which I'll withold so I'm not accused of Houston-bashing). But, I don't lash out at Houston just because it's not my favorite city. I have reasons that I also don't like San Antonio - even though there are some fun attractions there.

My point is, I think a lot of Houstonians don't like Dallas because they had bad experiences here. I also think a lot of Houstonians don't like Dallas simply because they are from Houston and being from Houston somehow requires them to automatically dislike any and everything Dallas. Same can be said on this end - there are a lot of Dallasites who don't like Houston just because when you're up here in the DFW Area, Houston is not a popular city to be fond of.

But, it does make for some interesting personal attack posts on public forums!

Although this article is dissapointing, to say the least, Dallas did recognized what Houston did for Katrina victoms - in the form of Houston being recongized as "Texan of the Year". I know, I'm going soft on you guys. And as much as I would love to say something negative about today's article, i'ts just to easy of a target anyways. Besides, I prefer to have some more fun with things like, oh, I dont know, The Port of Dallas!

2112... You are a bad boy! Don't start on the Port thing again, please. :lol::lol::lol:

but I personally don't enjoy going to Houston for my own personal reason

Personal reasons are one thing. I think the nail may have just met head.

"Dallas" city officals can't seperate their personal opinions from sound public policy, which unfortunately for them, ends up in the news around the nation.

Lived there; saw it; hope you enjoy it.

Anyone else see the 9pm news. Seems like the whole city is disappointment by Dallas' response to taking 40,000 needy people incase of an emergency. Here I thought it was just us HAIFers

Why exactly are they disappointed? They don't like Fort Worth and the other cities in the metro? There are some nice cities around the metro with some friendly people that they shouldn't be afraid of.

Jason

None of this matters much to me anyways. The one lesson I learned from last year's fiasco, is that you cannot evacuate the city of Houston within a 3 day period. It just cant be done. Maybe in a 2 week period. But not in the time frame usually seen during Hurricane approaches. I will do what I did last year: evacuate to the north side. Between the back streets and a keymap, we were able to get from bay area Houston to Northwest Houston in about 4 hours. Not bad when you consider others spent 20-some hours on the freeway trying to leave the city - and never left the city limits. Get plenty of food, extra gas, and water ahead of time, and just get out of the storm surge areas or flood prone areas. That's the lesson. And that's the plan.

Willy, when did you move to Dallas? I've admired your down to earth Fort Worth posts and never knew you were in Dallas.

Jason

Well, I'm sort of in between the cities... I have a house in FW and a condo in Dallas... So, I'm in Dallas for work during the week and in FW on weekends when time permits. I love both cities actually. They are sort of Ying and Yang to me. It's amazing to me how different two cities that are so close to each other are from one another. What FW lacks Dallas offers, and what Dallas lacks FW offers.... I think the cities are perfect neighbors for each other...

This is my favorite quote from that article:

Dallas Mayor Laura Miller infuriated staffers in Gov. Rick Perry's office last year when she complained of Dallas' evacuation overload and struggle to find shelter for Katrina evacuees. At that time, Perry spokeswoman Kathy Walt called Miller's complaints "unbelievable" and "so much whining and nay-saying" in an e-mail she sent to the governor's staff. But she's not repeating those complaints this year.

It's an error to characterize the people in the Houston area as more charitable during a natural disaster than the people in the Dallas area, or any other similarily populated area. The pep squads representing each city may not want to agree, but there's no difference in the way people respond to a catastrophe based on where they live.

This is my favorite quote from that article:

It's an error to characterize the people in the Houston area as more charitable during a natural disaster than the people in the Dallas area, or any other similarily populated area. The pep squads representing each city may not want to agree, but there's no difference in the way people respond to a catastrophe based on where they live.

The PEOPLE of the two cities, I agree. This was just another one of Mayor Miller's foibles. Even the Dallas County Judge came out in today's news saying that the area would do whatever is necessary in an emergency. Mythic Mayor Miller and her staff have a recurring case of hoof-in-mouth disease. I'm sure if (when) the time comes for Houstonians to head for the hills, Dallas area residents will do themselves proud. One can only hope it is not overshadowed by Mayor Miller's legendary whining and ineptitude.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/3919029.html

Mythic Mayor Miller

Sums it up just perfectly. For a city that cares so much about apearances, Mythic Mayor Miller appears not to give a flip on how she is perceived.

And in politics perception is everything. She'll be back on her paper route soon enough.

PRINT IT

I came to this forum after reading the article to see what others thought/ were saying. W/o being disrespectful (or at least I'll try not too), I don't understand the point one poster is trying to make. He/ she says that Dallas is only 1 million plus while we are much bigger so it makes sense that they couldn't handle nearly as many. But then several posts later this person points out that the article is talking about the Metro area handling 40,000 not just Dallas. This is a true statement, so why is this person using their Dallas population only as a comparison to say they can't handle that many b/c they are so much smaller? This is such a contradiction. The article clearly states that the Metro area (NOT just Dallas proper) would need to handle 40,000. Your metro area is as big (and I believe bigger) than ours, yet your officials can't commit to 40,000 in the whole area and we handled 200,000. I think this is what people are upset about. It sounds like those in charge in Dallas are the real problem. My husband grew up in Dallas and we have friends there. It's just a different vibe there -a more exclusive, country club type feel (to put it nicely)- that even my husband admits too that bothers many so. I think the attitude projected in this article from Dallas area official just supports that feeling for many of us - that they don't want to be bothered by the more common folk. I KNOW there are many caring people in the Metroplex and I pray that THEY will do whatever it takes in case of emergency b/c it doesn't sound like your officials will.

Emergencies happen and things can be done remarkably fast with good leadership and people willing to make it work. After Katrina our church (out in suburbs) saw how more shelters were needed and made a call to Red Cross. We got the news that we would be a shelter on Friday moring and then got busy! Emails were sent and calls went out. By 3pm our gym was overflowing with donations of every kind from members and the nearby community - so much that much of it was donated elsewhere. By 5pm, we were a functioning shelter. It can be done if people pull together. Our youth were moved out of their building so the shelter residents could have their own space. People volunteered around the clock to help these amazing survivors. I only wish I could have known them better -not much going on in the middle of the night shifts w/ people (more planning for next day). The shelter stayed open until everyone had a home to go to (not another shelter). More than basic needs were met - jobs found, transportation provided, counseling/ support groups, a wedding was organized and done (all from donations from local vendors), etc... We were open as a shelter for about 2.5 weeks and now call some of those evacuees our friends/ church members. This is just one example - there are many stories like this all over Houston, I'm sure.

Another quick example - We had a volunteer fire station nearby house over 50 people for a week (when it's built for 6-8 residents at a time) b/c they answered the call when a large extended family/ friends knocked on their door with nowhere else to go b/c they were out of money, gas, etc... They welcomed them with open arms despite the inconvenience it caused. They all bonded and some didn't want to leave for other shelters later despite the tight quarters b/c of the great people at the station.

My point to all this is that it can be done when people work together. I know the Dallas area can step up to the plate, but it takes a can do attitude from your leadership too. I hope Dallas residents stand up and say to their mayor/officials to quit complaining and start planning -make it work. That's all we ask- that you try, give your best effort, and show your care about your neighbors to the south.

But then several posts later this person points out that the article is talking about the Metro area handling 40,000 not just Dallas. This is a true statement, so why is this person using their Dallas population only as a comparison to say they can't handle that many b/c they are so much smaller? This is such a contradiction.

I assure you it is not a contradiction on my part, just you not following the details closely enough. The person who quoted the figures works for the city of Dallas proper. So the figure he gave was for Dallas only. He had to make a guess for Fort Worth (which should be taken with a grain of salt) and didn't even do a tally of other Dallas County cities. Rather than get reports from all over the metroplex the Chron decided to run this non-story with little input from the majority of the metroplex. That's part of the reason why nobody else in the state or LA has these inflamatory headlines and the bias except Houston. Even Blaydes hadn't heard of the paper's tantrum, another sign of the fact it is a non-story. In the end the people will find temporary homes in the metroplex and the only thing to come of this discussion was a quality Dallas bashing on HAIF.

Jason

In the end the people will find temporary homes in the metroplex and the only thing to come of this discussion was a quality Dallas bashing on HAIF.

Jason

I'm sorry that you feel this way - my apologies if that's how my post came across to you. If you read carefully, I say that I know the PEOPLE of the Metroplex will stand up and help as best they can and that there are many great people there. My husband grew up in Dallas so I'm not about hating all things Dallas -lol. It's just that to make something like this go smoothly, you need cooperation from all involved and it doesn't look like your gov't is doing that right now. Another poster from your area basically said that the leadership there has major problems. It's that we don't want to be bothered by you attitude that upsets me (and others) in regards to Dallas and its officials.

BTW the bashing is very strong by you guys up there on us too - I get jokes/ articles/ comments emailed to me from friends/ aquaintances up there that are very anti-Houston (the articles, not our friends). They do it as a joke I guess and I usually take it in stride or just ignore it. I'm sure there are forums like this for Dallas too where there is a Houston area where people bash away. It kinds of reminds me of the whole A&M / UT rivalry on a city scale. However, when Bonfire fell and 12 Aggies died, it was all put aside and humanity took over. There were prayer vigils held on the UT campus and all that bashing was put aside for awhile. If UT and A&M can do it, I know Dallas and Houston can too. I hope we never need to know if you can handle 40,000 people, but if we do, I hope your gov't will be "We can!" people and not naysayers.

Jason, I wish you the best. I hope this all gets settled soon so people from Houston don't have to go to west Texas.

I'm sorry that you feel this way - my apologies if that's how my post came across to you. If you read carefully, I say that I know the PEOPLE of the Metroplex will stand up and help as best they can and that there are many great people there. My husband grew up in Dallas so I'm not about hating all things Dallas -lol. It's just that to make something like this go smoothly, you need cooperation from all involved and it doesn't look like your gov't is doing that right now.

Soifan, that comment wasn't to you. See Mister X's post above for an example of where that was directed.

And to the other comments, the governments up here are cooperating, it is only the Houston paper that wishes to make it look like that isn't happening. They think they're doing a big service to everyone and none of this would get accomplished without their story. In fact the city would likely be talking to the state right now either way, trying to figure out the how to spread people around.

Jason

And to the other comments, the governments up here are cooperating, it is only the Houston paper that wishes to make it look like that isn't happening.Jason

All a Houston paper did was report on the whinnings of Dallas officials: Miller and Shaw. Miller wouldn't even talk to the Houston paper. That woman needs a PR team.

B)

I'll admit that I've had a great time reading this thread and the futile attempts by our Dallas friends to defend the remarks of their officials.

That said, we are all Texans, and I truly believe that if push came to shove Dallas would do the right thing just as Houston did the right thing last year for NO.

I assure you it is not a contradiction on my part, just you not following the details closely enough. The person who quoted the figures works for the city of Dallas proper. So the figure he gave was for Dallas only. He had to make a guess for Fort Worth (which should be taken with a grain of salt) and didn't even do a tally of other Dallas County cities. Rather than get reports from all over the metroplex the Chron decided to run this non-story with little input from the majority of the metroplex. That's part of the reason why nobody else in the state or LA has these inflamatory headlines and the bias except Houston. Even Blaydes hadn't heard of the paper's tantrum, another sign of the fact it is a non-story. In the end the people will find temporary homes in the metroplex and the only thing to come of this discussion was a quality Dallas bashing on HAIF.

Jason

Jason, we must have a bunch of illiterate baffoons down here that NEVER understand your context, regardless of the subject. Funny thing is, that regardless of what's presented to you in the negative about Dallas, you defend her without remorse.

I've beat this like a dead horse, but this is another reason I chose to live in Houston rather than Big D. Houston doesn't look at itself as giant country club.

Jason, we must have a bunch of illiterate baffoons down here that NEVER understand your context, regardless of the subject. Funny thing is, that regardless of what's presented to you in the negative about Dallas, you defend her without remorse.

I've beat this like a dead horse, but this is another reason I chose to live in Houston rather than Big D. Houston doesn't look at itself as giant country club.

Speak for yourself Gary. It's not very terribly complex once you get past the basic details of what the state actually wants, and that the Chron didn't interview the right people to get a good grasp of the situation. I have not defended Dallas on everything negative presented, in fact I often go the other way on these forums and elsewhere. I agree with much of what soifan said, and some of the things that people like Redscare says, so I am not going to try to debate them on it and "defend her without remorse" as you claim. This is something you could never do which has been proven from your post history. This post is a little better than your typical Dallas one as it actually has sentences in it. Bravo for that, but you're really more in the catagory of Mister X than someone that is actually interested in discussing or debating something.

Jason

P.S. I guess you haven't been to Dallas in a long time, or just don't get around most of the city, because the vast majority of the "Country Club" folks have long since left the city of Dallas for Highland Park, University Park, Plano, Frisco, Coppell, Addison, Southlake, Colleyville etc...

the Chron didn't interview the right people to get a good grasp of the situation.

Why did your Mayor refuse the Chronicle's request. It looks like the Chronicle tried to interview the principles...wonder why principle #1 dodged?

Archived