'Big D' offers little help

"We'd be on our own to use city employees or school employees," he said. "The rest of us aren't in the professional sheltering business."
What and Houston was.......sounds like a weinee excuse ......

Article here

Houston and Harris County opened facilities to tens of thousands of Louisiana residents after Hurricane Katrina. At the peak, Sept. 4, there were 27,100 people sheltered in the Reliant Park complex and the George R. Brown Convention Center.

The most sheltered at any given night in Dallas' convention center, Reunion Arena and Dallas County's old jail complex was 3,000, Shaw said. He said slightly fewer were housed in those three facilities during Hurricane Rita.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What and Houston was.......sounds like a weinee excuse ......

Article here

It really works out well when you take a quote out of context.

I wonder if the author of that article was actually down there volunteering with us at Reunion to actually reflect on the wild comparison of it and the Reliant Park complex?

And to the poster comment specifically, I can personally attest to the fact that unskilled people helping down there (with no social work skills or connections) like myself and most of the city workers are not what is needed. They needed more people like my wife but there are just not enough to go around. She'd be happy to go down there again but she doesn't want to see it end up like before.

Jason

Shrug.

I'd rather they fess up to it now than to have (god forbid) a disaster occur and THEN they realize at the very last minute that they really can't handle 40,000 evacuees.

I do think, though, that maybe the federal government should start looking into providing some regional evacuation centers that can house 50,000 or so people for a week or so during an emergency. You could have one for the Pacific Northwest, Southern Pacific Coast, the Rockies, the Southwest/Gulfcoast, etc, etc. Probabably about 10-12 of 'em in all. Granted, I know it would cost money and take time to build but it would (in theory) alleviate some of the planning headaches that are underway now.

some regional evacuation centers that can house 50,000 or so people for a week or so during an emergency

Exactly. Combined with staging areas where emergency personnel can be dispatched to a disaster scene. Have all the supplies you need there ready to go.

Propper planning prevents (#*#-poor performance.

Back on topic. This is just further proof that Dallas really is only half a city.

Without Ft. Worth and the Metroplex they'd really be in bad shape.

She was left behind, and sour

And she wrote to me, equally dour

She said : "In the days when you were

Hopelessly poor

I just liked you more..."

And to the poster comment specifically, I can personally attest to the fact that unskilled people helping down there (with no social work skills or connections) like myself and most of the city workers are not what is needed. They needed more people like my wife but there are just not enough to go around. She'd be happy to go down there again but she doesn't want to see it end up like before.

Jason

Sounds like more Dallas type reasoning to come up short. I know this is just an article and a topic on a forum, but I really hope that when it comes down to it(again) Dallas can really shine and redeem itself. Good thing we have more neigbors to turn that aren't all talk

all that convention space in big d. god forbid that they say no to a convention the week of a disaster. they might have to refund some money.

i have a friend who is a nurse in ft. worth. she couldn't find anywhere to volunteer in dallas during the katrina aftermath. the hospital connections she had in ft. worth and dallas had no idea where to begin. they didn't know who was doing volunteer organization in dallas. they weren't organizing groups to come to houston/anywhere/the astrodome as far as they knew. i'm not saying there were no volunteers from dallas. it seems there was little concern from the top down in some organizations. i called memorial hermann in the woodlands who gave me a contact name and number in the medical center of someone organizing volunteers. by the time i finished taking down the number, my nurse friend had already located an 800 number for astrodome volunteers by calling random hospitals in the houston area.

i think houston was able to respond rapidly, not only from the leadership of our mayor, but from our wonderful medical center and its community. once we were told where to go and what would be needed, and what would occur. anyone of good will could contribute. other cities would be wise to follow this precedent.

dallas may not only lack the will, but the substance. ;)

I read the other day that San Diego and Houston were the nation's most generous cities (charitable contributions) and guess which city was the worst? Yep. Dallas. :huh:

Weird, I read we were in the top 10 and Houston was several notches behind.

Jason

i think that was a dallas publication. ;)

I emailed my wife to ask her the source. Her non-profit agency receives reports from the "The Chronicle of Philanthropy" which is not based in Dallas and in her agency seems to be well respected source.

Jason

It's hard to be charatible when your credit cards are maxed out and you financed your certificed pre-owned 3 Series for seven years.

Yeah, with all the "30k Millionaires" spread from uptown to Plano we should get even more credit for beating Houston. Everyone down there is an oil tycoon right. ;)

Jason

Sam Malone's show today is all about the above article. I'm even wondering if some of you have been callers. :D

There's still about an hour left.

Dadgummit! Nevermind. Astros show is on. Sam was only an hour today; I really wanted to hear the rest of that discussion.

It really works out well when you take a quote out of context.

I wonder if the author of that article was actually down there volunteering with us at Reunion to actually reflect on the wild comparison of it and the Reliant Park complex?

Jason

What part was out of context? Dallas made it clear that they could not handle 40,000 visitors. This is consistent, though. Dallas sent its baseball and football stadiums to Arlington, presumably for the same reason.

As to unskilled help not being needed, perhaps you and your wife should have come to Houston. They put my unskilled butt to work real fast...as well as the thousands of others who showed up.

As Hizzy said, it is better to know ahead of time that Dallas cannot be counted on in an emergency. We'll try not to inconvenience you guys, if we get hit. We wouldn't want Dallas to have to go out of its way or anything. Lord knows, if any city knows how much effort it takes to help a neighbor, it's Houston.

BTW, Jason, it is the Dallas government that people are annoyed with, not those individuals like yourself, who stepped up to the plate. But, for Laura Miller to say all of the Super Bowl activities will be in Dallas, then say she can't handle 40,000 evacuees, is nothing short of disgusting, and it should be publicized. If that is not how you want your city portrayed, start writing to YOUR mayor.

It's funny how 18 sources throughout Texas and Louisiana ran with that story and only Houston added the twist and anti-Dallas title.

Jason

18 ran with it becuase I'm sure they're concerned. Houston ran with the "Anti-Dallas Title" becuase it's discusting hence the sick smiley for the post icon, I'm sure many in the city can relate.

I suppose it's just as well we learn now that dallas can't and/or is un-able to hack it. I'd hate to vacate up 45 only to find out I was in the Hooterville of evaccuee shelters with Mayor Pearl running the show.

BTW, I didn't see all of 10.5-did dallas take a hit?

B)

It sure gives new meaning to the name Big D.

The Big Disappointment!

"It would be a little bit of a chaotic situation if we got 40,000 people," Shaw said. "We are not going to be able to house anywhere near a 40,000 special needs population."

Sounds like Mr. Shaw likes his disasters nice and orderly. What a buffoon. Glad he's not our emergency manager.

It's funny how 18 sources throughout Texas and Louisiana ran with that story and only Houston added the twist and anti-Dallas title.

Jason

The article was written by Houston Chronicle reporters out of the Austin Bureau. The "anti-Dallas" title is apt.

You do offer little help. Sorry it stings but if you have more help to offer than reported, perhaps you need to take it up with the Chronicle-or your mayor.

B)

What part was out of context? Dallas made it clear that they could not handle 40,000 visitors. This is consistent, though. Dallas sent its baseball and football stadiums to Arlington, presumably for the same reason.

As to unskilled help not being needed, perhaps you and your wife should have come to Houston. They put my unskilled butt to work real fast...as well as the thousands of others who showed up.

As Hizzy said, it is better to know ahead of time that Dallas cannot be counted on in an emergency. We'll try not to inconvenience you guys, if we get hit. We wouldn't want Dallas to have to go out of its way or anything. Lord knows, if any city knows how much effort it takes to help a neighbor, it's Houston.

BTW, Jason, it is the Dallas government that people are annoyed with, not those individuals like yourself, who stepped up to the plate. But, for Laura Miller to say all of the Super Bowl activities will be in Dallas, then say she can't handle 40,000 evacuees, is nothing short of disgusting, and it should be publicized. If that is not how you want your city portrayed, start writing to YOUR mayor.

The part where they said that the quality of care would suffer because of that quote (given these are mostly special needs people) and the insinuation without that info that they would not do it.

On the 2nd paragraph, my wife is skilled in this area as it is very close to what she does every day, so she was really needed where she was. Next time though, I'll come down and volunteer with you then. If this were turned around the other way though, I'll add that people here would say you must not have gotten enough help from the people of Houston.

The Dallas mayor is complaining that she didn't get assistance and a plan from the state on where these 40k people would be scattered about the metroplex. It is difficult for the mayor of a town of 1.2million to host a big meeting with the governments of another 5 million people and get all this worked out. It is much better handled at the state level, but the state of Texas is notoriously weak in any social service area like this.

Do you really believe housing self-sustaining people with the cash to spend on superbowl tickets is anything like 40,000 special needs people?

Jason

LOL

Houston's Mayor showed Rick Perry how it is done. To expect help from Austin or Washington is wishfull thinking.

Yeah and wasn't it done with little or no planning. In under 24hrs weren't we taking on the first few thousand evacuees......sounds like good ole Houston Hosptallity at it's best ;)

The Dallas mayor is complaining that she didn't get assistance and a plan from the state on where these 40k people would be scattered about the metroplex. It is difficult for the mayor of a town of 1.2million to host a big meeting with the governments of another 5 million people and get all this worked out.Jason

Our city and county handled it within-what people?-36 hours? Our mayor and county judge didn't weenie-whine. They got to work and did the job. And we helped! :D

One of our finer hours...

B)

Our city and county handled it within-what people?-36 hours? Our mayor and county judge didn't weenie-whine. They got to work and did the job. And we helped! :D

One of our finer hours...

B)

That's exactly the type of chaos they don't want, and is the motivation for a plan to be put in place. And no it doesn't sting that a city of 1.2million can't handle the same as the 3.6million Harris county, it is just common sense.

Jason

Do you really believe housing self-sustaining people with the cash to spend on superbowl tickets is anything like 40,000 special needs people?

Jason

Look, if Dallas can't handle it, they should just say so. Oh, they already did. You know, the more you defend Mythic Mayor Miller and how tough it is to handle 40,000 evacuees, the more impressed I become with Houston/Harris County's taking in 200,000 (27,000 in city shelters). Before, I thought I was just bragging. Now, to hear Dallas' very own mayor say that what Houston did is more than they could ever hope to accomplish...why that's just damned impressive.

And to think that we have a smaller metro than you do, too. :D

And no it doesn't sting that a city of 1.2million can't handle the same as the 3.6million Harris county, it is just common sense.
The ever shrinking and expanding Big D. What a great defense mechanism y'all have up there.
Dallas Mayor Laura Miller infuriated staffers in Gov. Rick Perry's office last year when she complained of Dallas' evacuation overload and struggle to find shelter for Katrina evacuees. At that time, Perry spokeswoman Kathy Walt called Miller's complaints "unbelievable" and "so much whining and nay-saying" in an e-mail she sent to the governor's staff. But she's not repeating those complaints this year.

Miller did not respond to a request for comment on the shelter issue Tuesday from the Chronicle.

The ever shrinking and expanding Big D. What a great defense mechanism y'all have up there.

Shaw only represents the city of Dallas. The 40,000 number is the number expected to be absorbed in North Texas. I know it would benefit your agenda to not keep up with the facts here but please.

Jason

Archived