Post Midtown Square: Mixed-Used In Midtown

SpaceCity

I took a tour of that building when I was looking for a new place to live. I was unimpressed. Concrete floors and metal stairwells everywhere -- even in the apartments. It was like living in a dorm room.

The worst part was that the unit the agent showed me was occupied by a man who hadn't left yet. It had two bathrooms, and apparently he never cleaned one of them. He just let it get dirtier and dirtier and more disgusting until even he couldn't stand it anymore and he then started using the other one.

Imagine what a year's worth of man-funk does to the porcelain.

When I jokingly said that they'd have to replace the tub and toilet before I could move in, the woman had the nerve to say that it would be MY responsibility to clean it up. Um... no. I don't think so. I went somewhere else.

I took a tour of that building when I was looking for a new place to live.  I was unimpressed.  Concrete floors and metal stairwells everywhere -- even in the apartments.  It was like living in a dorm room.

The worst part was that the unit the agent showed me was occupied by a man who hadn't left yet.  It had two bathrooms, and apparently he never cleaned one of them.  He just let it get dirtier and dirtier and more disgusting until even he couldn't stand it anymore and he then started using the other one.

Imagine what a year's worth of man-funk does to the porcelain.

When I jokingly said that they'd have to replace the tub and toilet before I could move in, the woman had the nerve to say that it would be MY responsibility to clean it up.  Um... no.  I don't think so.  I went somewhere else.

I can't believe they showed you an occupied unit. I've never heard of an apartment community showing occupied units to potential renters, only models and unoccupied units that have been cleaned and made ready for move-in. I know as an apartment renter I'd be ticked off with my management office if I found out they were showing my unit to potential renters with me still living there (although I keep my bathroom clean!).

Thats not nice....

What if one of the tenants had a gun, and the people walked in while he/she was showring or something?

I think I can beat that. When my fiance and I were looking to rent a home in the Heights an Agent took us into this one house. We were inside for a couple of seconds until I looked down at my socks and there were fleas everywhere.

I could not believe she would show a house that was infested with fleas. Needless to say we rented elsewhere and I would never step into a house this woman was showing again.

• 1 year later...

OK, I find myself in the area a lot, when visiting a friend who recenly moved from California into the 2222 Smith Street building. I walk to the Post a lot but always end up going to the little corner store called Midtown Market. I never have really gone into the other businesses but I would like to try them. Well I have been to Lab 5 but they are $$$$$$$$$$$ if you have been there. How do you like the retail at the Post?

I live at Post Midtown Square. I love all the retail. We finally got a coffee shop, and it's right inside the complex. We got a wine bar about a year ago that seems to be doing well, we got Christian's tailgate, which has great burgers, and we're about to get a mexian restaurant.

I quite often chat with the owners of Midtown Market when I'm in there, and I know the owner of Farrago.

Urban living: can't beat it.

• 2 months later...

February 03, 2006 02:41 PM US Eastern Timezone

Post Announces Conversion of Post Midtown Square® Tower to Condominiums; 15-Story RISE Condominiums Will Sell from the High $100,000s to the High $600,000s, Penthouses from $530,000 to approximately $1,000,000

HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 3, 2006--Post Properties, Inc. (NYSE: PPS) today announced that it will convert 143 homes at Post Midtown Square® into for-sale condominiums through a taxable REIT subsidiary. These select homes comprise the 15-story portion of Post Midtown Square®, and will offer stunning views of downtown Houston.

Read More: http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/g...540&newsLang=en

They want to close Cushing street. Does this mean the whole street or the tiny portion between Midtown Square phase 2 and phase 3? If it is just a block, I think Sheila Jackson Lee is over reacting.

Here is the story:

As new developments continue to rise in Midtown, residents in historic areas are fighting to curb street closures

The sanctity of community

By CINDY HORSWELL

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

IN the shadow of downtown skyscrapers, the Rev. Samuel Smith vowed Sunday to fight proposed street closings he says will shut off the remnants of the historic black Fourth Ward from new high rises developing in Midtown.

"We stand as a testament that we mean business," said Smith, with 30 members of his Mount Horeb Missionary Baptist Church standing behind him. "If you close these streets, it would be like cutting a main artery to the heart of the streets feeding the interior of the Fourth Ward."

*Edit* copyrighted material deleted.

The legal department at the Houston Chronicle has informed the editor of HAIF that we can briefly quote from copyrighted articles and post links, but cannot reproduce articles in full.

Link to full article

dbigtex56

Sources tell me that Post is not only firmly committed to Houston, but specifically to the Midtown market. They are spinning off a new upscale condo division AND finally building the long talked about Phase III of Post Midtown Square. So, that triangular empty lot on Gray street will soon sprout yet another apt midrise building.

Wow. Midtown is really on the move.

Two weeks ago, a Post worker was in Shay McElroys, and told me they were going to do this. I didn't post it, because I wasn't sure if he was right, or how long it would be. It's good to see that it is happening quicker than I thought.

As for the protest, I don't know what closing a one block street in that triangle will hurt. I have used that street several times and I don't think it will be a big problem to drive one more block.

I love the Post Midtown Square design but it is hard to not notice the cheap materials. The "stucco" siding almost looks like fake fake stucco. I wonder what this city will look like when the new developments age with a whole bunch of patina.

Edited by WesternGulf