Buffalo Bayou Walk

It was noted in another thread that there is a 'sound system' of sorts as you move eastbound that blares train sounds. Guess that is a homeless deterrent. It sure deterred me from wanting to hang out!

I lived at Sabine Street lofts while the construction was going on...such a mess, but man it is beautiful now. I'm sure units overlooking the bayou are now in demand.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I obviously do not get out enough any more. I had no ideal this was looking so nice. I've marked my calender for the 10th. I want to see this up close and personal.

Thanks for the great pics and info!

And I noticed after all this rain that the bayou didn't flood like it did before. It appears that it was around 3 feet over the normal waterline. Could they have improved the flooding? Or have we not had enough rain?

here is an article about the recent improvements that was in the chron yesterday. additionally, here is an article about the bayou walk.

With such an obvious backlash against the Hobby Center garage, you'd wonder if the designers and planners ever consulted the public in any way, shape or form. And if they did, I wonder who they used as their focus audience.

I just assumed there was no process for public input.

Hobby did the right thing.

Face downtown or the bayou and a screaming freeway?

Downtown all the way.

The problem isn't that the building faces downtown, which is fine. From a design perspective, the question was what should have been emphasized at the rear - the screaming freeway or the bayou. They just looked at it as freeway and ignored the bayou, so from that perspective the ugly parking garage probably made sense. Of course, that really hurt the bayou park. I'm not saying the Hobby should have faced the bayou, but the whole structure could have been better designed to integrate or at least recognize the bayou. That is why I thought green space would have been better where the garage is - it would open up the bayou and provide a buffer to the Pierce Elevated. Another thing that could have been done would have been to change the orientation of the center so the front facade didn't strictly align with Brazos. If it had been somewhat "tilted" away from the street it could have formed a visual gateway or opening from the front aspect back to the bayou. It is a real shame that the architects ignored the possibilities of the site.

Just beautiful! I remember the park when they were still building it, back in January, but, I really should take a visit to see the completed project!

Just beautiful! I remember the park when they were still building it, back in January, but, I really should take a visit to see the completed project!

We have come a long way. Here are some pics originally posted by HiI on another thread. They were posted back in Nov

P1010056.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010058.jpg

P1010059.jpg

P1040187.jpg

There could easily be a veranda extended from the side of the Hobby Center garage, with a couple of cafes. Hanging gardens off each level would be a nice touch, too. Some trees for shade might help with the west sun, as well. Although oaks seem to be the most natural fit, there might be something that would grow faster or be able to be planted in a more mature state to jumpstart the site. Perhaps some Italian cypress, or something like that...

Why on Skyscrapercity and Skyscraperpage?

Because I defend Houston alot on both places. Ive never lived in Houston but have been several times. I was absolutly floored the first time I went. I was not expecting what I saw. I always had this image of cowboys and rednecks because thats all I ever saw on t.v. and when I did hear something of Texas, it was always about Dallas. So, anyway, Houston does not get the credit it deserves (especially on those sites) and I just want that great city to shine. Plus it will give people a great night time shot of the city's skyline.

Also, I have 2 questions for you guys. I promise Im not trying to start a flame war or bash anybody. I just want to know what people in Texas consider Texas' largest city to be. Houston or Dallas? I know Houston's population is roughly 2.1 mil and Dallas' population is roughly 1.2. But alot of people say Dallas is bigger since its metro is 6 mil to Houston's 5.5 mil.

My second question is why does it *APPEAR* (and Im an outsider looking in) that Dallas gets the trendy developments first. They've got a massive rail network, an intermodal facility, and it seem that the Pavillions cant get off the ground (let alone the Hardy project) while Dallas is making great progress on Victory. These are just honest questions and I hope no one thinks Im trying to start anything because if you have read anything Ive posted you know I love your city. Also sorry for getting off topic. I just didnt want to start a whole thread on these questions.

Because I defend Houston alot on both places. Ive never lived in Houston but have been several times. I was absolutly floored the first time I went. I was not expecting what I saw. I always had this image of cowboys and rednecks because thats all I ever saw on t.v. and when I did hear something of Texas, it was always about Dallas. So, anyway, Houston does not get the credit it deserves (especially on those sites) and I just want that great city to shine. Plus it will give people a great night time shot of the city's skyline.

Also, I have 2 questions for you guys. I promise Im not trying to start a flame war or bash anybody. I just want to know what people in Texas consider Texas' largest city to be. Houston or Dallas? I know Houston's population is roughly 2.1 mil and Dallas' population is roughly 1.2. But alot of people say Dallas is bigger since its metro is 6 mil to Houston's 5.5 mil.

My second question is why does it *APPEAR* (and Im an outsider looking in) that Dallas gets the trendy developments first. They've got a massive rail network, an intermodal facility, and it seem that the Pavillions cant get off the ground (let alone the Hardy project) while Dallas is making great progress on Victory. These are just honest questions and I hope no one thinks Im trying to start anything because if you have read anything Ive posted you know I love your city. Also sorry for getting off topic. I just didnt want to start a whole thread on these questions.

Rather than hijack yet another thread to Dallas, start another topic in the Dallas section, or read some of the existing topics, where I can assure you it has been beat to death.

Rather than hijack yet another thread to Dallas, start another topic in the Dallas section, or read some of the existing topics, where I can assure you it has been beat to death.

Like http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=6306 thread. Sorry maceo9903 I know your new and all and appreciate your Houston enthusiasm. But the questions you posed have been beaten into the ground. Look under the Dallas topic ;)

Tell that the the downtown park folks with their undergroud parking boondoogle.

It is always good to plan ahead. Hopefully, those parking lots are filled with condos, and others with higher parking garages.

My apologies then. It was in no way my intention to "hijack" a thread to Dallas. Also, Im rather new here so I did not know that the questions I posed were unoriginal. I just wanted your opinions on this because I want to move to Houston very badly and I just want things to be able to convince my wife to relocate. So, again I hope that you will accept my apologies.

^^So maceo9903. It's good to see you like Houston but curious. What does Houston have that Atlanta doesn't. As far as i know Atlanta has trendier developments, better mass transit, and hills.

^^So maceo9903. It's good to see you like Houston but curious. What does Houston have that Atlanta doesn't. As far as i know Atlanta has trendier developments, better mass transit, and hills.

He's already responded to this question here http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...pic=5491&st=100

post 135 and 139

See maceo9903 your not the only one that brings up something that has been brought up in the past...it happens to the best of us :D

Now who all is going to the lighting thingy this Sat between 7pm- midnight

He's already responded to this question here http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...pic=5491&st=100

post 135 and 139

See maceo9903 your not the only one that brings up something that has been brought up in the past...it happens to the best of us :D

Now who all is going to the lighting thingy this Sat between 7pm- midnight

well excuse the hell out of me. i guess some people got more time on their hands to spend reading every single thread that comes up on this forum. Sorry for having a life.

well excuse the hell out of me. i guess some people got more time on their hands to spend reading every single thread that comes up on this forum.

Like I said it happens to the best of us :D no hard feelings guy. your right I'm boared at work and some do log on way more than others.

Like I said it happens to the best of us :D no hard feelings guy. your right I'm boared at work and some do log on way more than others.

its cool! And BTW, i'll be in Houston this weekend. I'll be at the Buffalo lighting ceremony. Maybe i'll see you there

I obviously do not get out enough any more. I had no ideal this was looking so nice. I've marked my calender for the 10th. I want to see this up close and personal.

Thanks for the great pics and info!

To the HAIFers that won the HAIF shirts...why dont we wear them Saturday night to the bayou ceremony? We can be on the lookout for each other...and then we can stalk each other. No, really, sounds good, maybe? Ill have mine on. (I'll also be wearing pants, thankfully.)

I went to this last night. Didn't see any HAIF shirts, but that was probably because of the thousands of people there. The banks of the bayou were packed, the walkways were packed, everything was packed...and I didn't even arrive until 10 pm! I'm sure it was even more crowded at the earlier times when the fireworks were going off.

I was disappointed in the lack of trash cans, prompting people to toss their beer bottles on the ground. Hopefully, more trash receptacles arrive. Also, while lighting was generally good around Sabine and the Hobby Center, it dropped off quickly around Bayou Place. Hopefully, they add some lighting there...though the lighting appeared better on the Downtown side of the bayou.

All in all, it looked good. Lots of people checking out our new and improved bayou. :D

Archived