Johnson Space Center

What happened to the rocket outside that used to be lying down horizontally beside the two upright rockets?

I was in that area yesterday and didn't see it. It seems a buiding is in its place.

Wasn't it to the right of this picture? Or am I just turned around?:

JSC.jpg

The Saturn V rocket which you're refering to is currently going under a major restoration project. It had deteriorated to the point where they had to take action. There were serious signs of corrosion and there was even a couple of birds living inside it!

In fact, it's in the building to the left of your picture.

It was so huge, they built the building AROUND it instead of moving it. It should be ready in a couple of years.

here is the link:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/features/saturn_V.html

They are retro fitting it to be used again. Since the NASA budget was cut, they are recycling their old Apollo program, the sections are in a local body shop getting "media blasted" to remove all the rust from the hull. NASA realized that they can't land a Shuttle on the moon because of such a rough terrain, so they are sending up the capsule type again so that they can get a 3 man crew to start removing all rocks for a landing strip in the Sea of Tranquility. NASA said it should take about 75 days or so, they have converted a Lunar Rover and put a bulldozer blade on it so they can easily push the larger rocks off to the side, while the other two can kick the smaller ones and help push the boulder type.

They are retro fitting it to be used again. Since the NASA budget was cut, they are recycling their old Apollo program, the sections are in a local body shop getting "media blasted" to remove all the rust from the hull. NASA realized that they can't land a Shuttle on the moon because of such a rough terrain, so they are sending up the capsule type again so that they can get a 3 man crew to start removing all rocks for a landing strip in the Sea of Tranquility. NASA said it should take about 75 days or so, they have converted a Lunar Rover and put a bulldozer blade on it so they can easily push the larger rocks off to the side, while the other two can kick the smaller ones and help push the boulder type.

LOL....You are a storyteller.

The Saturn V rocket which you're refering to is currently going under a major restoration project. It had deteriorated to the point where they had to take action. There were serious signs of corrosion and there was even a couple of birds living inside it!

In fact, it's in the building to the left of your picture.

It was so huge, they built the building AROUND it instead of moving it. It should be ready in a couple of years.

here is the link:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/features/saturn_V.html

The building that was constructed is only temporary during the restoration. Then another building will be constructed which is more tourist friendly. Had something to do with budgets according to what they are telling employees.

I was beginning to wonder how long it would take for someone to catch me on that story. :lol:

HE HE, TJ...what a kidder. I was out there a while back before they moved the S5 and my nephew SWORE he saw squirrls coming out of the side. I suspect it was really rats. When they are finished are they going to display it on it's side or up-right? What a great landmark for the area: a 36 story tall rocket! Hmmmm...hurricanes may be a consideration?

B)

HE HE, TJ...what a kidder. I was out there a while back before they moved the S5 and my nephew SWORE he saw squirrls coming out of the side. I suspect it was really rats. When they are finished are they going to display it on it's side or up-right? What a great landmark for the area: a 36 story tall rocket! Hmmmm...hurricanes may be a consideration?

B)

I'm sure they could place it back horizontal if hurricanes were an issue. Didn't they lay it down originally so you could see the thing better?

I'm sure they could place it back horizontal if hurricanes were an issue. Didn't they lay it down originally so you could see the thing better?

Good point...but to see it upright-how majestic is that?

B)

B)

From what they told us, it will remain horizontal. Owls also live there as well. JSC has quite a few unexpected animal species there including deer. Sometimes they even walk around during the day.

Guest Plastic

You know some day we will go to Mars.. It will be interesting to see and even mor egiant Martian rocket sitting out in the field.

Archived