Garage Construction

jm1fd

I used Brent Mikeska with Champion Contractors (713) 898-9817. The existing garage on the 1959 house we bought was failing structurally so I hired Champion to do the demo and rebuild. I am very pleased with the new garage.

Brent comes highly recommended by a number of us on the "Houston Mod" boards.

I used Brent Mikeska with Champion Contractors (713) 898-9817. The existing garage on the 1959 house we bought was failing structurally so I hired Champion to do the demo and rebuild. I am very pleased with the new garage.

Brent comes highly recommended by a number of us on the "Houston Mod" boards.

YESSSS! Finally a response! I saw you people looking but not responding. :D

I would also be interested in the size of the garage your seeking and what cost your looking at to put it up. Just out of personal curiosity. I know I was speaking to the sales guy for Morgan Buildings and they can construct a garage and I have actually seen one and it looks pretty good. I don't recall the cost but I thought it was pretty reasonable.

Scharpe St Guy

How much a square foot are we looking at for a new garage?

I've found per square foot prices for traditional slab, wood & shingle garage construction to be between $20-30 per square foot. I also got some pricing for a slightly less traditional approach which employs a slab, a wood frame, and then a metal exterior. That was ~$15 per square foot, but the guy wasn't sure about that since I'm in the city of Houston, and code changes pretty frequently, so new requirements might make it more expensive. The final option I looked at was a large portable building that I could park a car in. This ended up being the cheapest at ~$13 per square foot.

I think I'm going to go with the portable building since it is the least costly, and it will serve my needs just fine since I'm not going to be driving in and out more than probably once a week.

The worst part about all this is the resale value will probably be $8 PSF...if I'm lucky.

turn it into a garage apartment and rent it out, then... if you have extra money... you'll be making money :D

I would love to...only problem is the deed restrictions prohibit that. Otherwise I'd already have a huge garage/workshop with a nice big apartment above it, and a fat rent check paying for the whole thing every month.

In a couple years, when I can take my profits tax free, I'm going to sell and buy somewhere else where I can have that nice big garage/workshop/apartment.

I would love to...only problem is the deed restrictions prohibit that. Otherwise I'd already have a huge garage/workshop with a nice big apartment above it, and a fat rent check paying for the whole thing every month.

In a couple years, when I can take my profits tax free, I'm going to sell and buy somewhere else where I can have that nice big garage/workshop/apartment.

oh, no... are you in river oaks area? they are very strict about new constructions...

My garage/workshop/laundry is (according to the date scratched in the concrete) 60 years old, was apparently built without the aid of "engineering", and is now on the verge of implosion.

I've been debating tearing the thing down and rebuilding the garage with an apartment-style space on top - not to rent, but to use as a home office and to stick people in when they come to visit.

My neighbor (who has a 1000 sq ft garage apt with a full workshop below) however told me that the city of Houston now limited you to a total of 900 sq top and bottom combined for a garage/garage apt structure.

Does anyone know if this is true? I suspect he may just not want me to obstruct his view...

I live in Woodland Heights and couldn't find any mention of such in the deed restrictions. 900 sq ft is a problem as the design that I've been modeling in ArchiCad is 620 sq ft each level, for a total of 1240 sq ft!

My neighbor (who has a 1000 sq ft garage apt with a full workshop below) however told me that the city of Houston now limited you to a total of 900 sq top and bottom combined for a garage/garage apt structure.

Does anyone know if this is true? I suspect he may just not want me to obstruct his view...

I've never heard that restriction. Further, I've seen several 2-story garage/apts. built in the Heights recently. Best way to find out is to go to the Code Enforcement building in Midtown, find a residential inspector, and ask him. It really isn't that tough, and they are pretty helpful. Another way is to call someone who specializes in residential design in Houston and ask questions. Act like you are looking for an architect.

My hurricane hut that I hope to build one day is about 620 top and bottom as well. Concrete block with a gameroom/full bath/kitchenette upstairs. :P

I've heard that 900 sf limit from a few sources. City of Houston permit office should be able to confirm.

I live in Woodland Terrace and was looking to do this a few years ago. I was going to use Harvad Heights construction, who provided some details plans and price breakdown....I think it was $55k for a ~700 sf garage apartment, including everything up to the dywall. They were very helpful on the phone, and I could go look at garage apartments they currently had under construction to see what I would be getting.

Curious for any other experiences / recommendations....I'd still like to do this at some point in the future.

I've heard that 900 sf limit from a few sources. City of Houston permit office should be able to confirm.

I live in Woodland Terrace and was looking to do this a few years ago. I was going to use Harvad Heights construction, who provided some details plans and price breakdown....I think it was $55k for a ~700 sf garage apartment, including everything up to the dywall. They were very helpful on the phone, and I could go look at garage apartments they currently had under construction to see what I would be getting.

Curious for any other experiences / recommendations....I'd still like to do this at some point in the future.

Is the 900 sf the limit on the size of the slab, or is it total square footage, including the garage portion?

Huge difference, obviously. Most calculations are of "livable area", as in, only the air conditioned space, and not including the garage. I wonder if that is the deal here?

• 10 months later...

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I would resurrect this one.

With the latest remodel project done, wife and I are thinking about the next one - we're going to need more space in a couple of years when the kids are older and the most logical (and easiest) plan would be to demolish the existing detached garage and build one of these to use as a gameroom/office/guestroom and connect it to the house with a breezeway/porch. The deed restrictions allow it and I think it would be more attractive than adding a second story to our ranch style house, anyway. (as part of this we also wall-in the existing patio on the back of the house, but that's not as big a deal right now as the garage...)

Anyway, questions -

- Is the 900 sqft rule confirmed? If so, this puts a serious crimp in our plans because we drive both drive large cars - one of the advantages of this plan would be more garage and workshop space! My preliminary plans were for 750 sqft per floor! Heck, the existing garage is already 528 sqft and it's too small to fit both cars, as it is.

[EDIT: The only reference I can find on the COH website is this: http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Developm...andDev_Faqs.htm (search for "900") and my critical interpretation says the comparison to a duplex makes me think that this restriction seems to be referring only to the garage apartment as a separate household/habitation from the primary household on the property. The language also makes me think that it's 900 sqft for the inhabited portion and not the combined structure, anyway]

- If so, would the attachment to the main house via a porch blur the distinction between attached/detached?

- Any further idea on the construction costs? The online cost estimators are OK, but I think they're high because my office/guestroom probably wouldn't include a kitchen, primarily.

Thanks, Haifers.

Anyway, questions -

- Is the 900 sqft rule confirmed? If so, this puts a serious crimp in our plans because we drive both drive large cars - one of the advantages of this plan would be more garage and workshop space! My preliminary plans were for 750 sqft per floor! Heck, the existing garage is already 528 sqft and it's too small to fit both cars, as-is.

I've never heard of this. Now if the area is deed restricted, that can limit the size of the secondary buildings depending on how they were filed. i'd check that first. then i'd go to/or call the permit dept.

- If so, would the attachment to the main house via a porch blur the distinction between attached/detached?

Nothing would be blurred, it would be attached. i know insurance companies treat them differently.

- Any further idea on the construction costs? The online cost estimators are OK, but I think they're high because my office/guestroom probably wouldn't include a kitchen, primarily.

cost would depend on what you're going to do, what kind of materials you're going to use,etc. too many unknowns from your brief description.

A barebones 20'x20' with no second floor is around $10k You're probably looking at at least another $5k for the second story....more if it is finished out.

A barebones 20'x20' with no second floor is around $10k You're probably looking at at least another $5k for the second story....more if it is finished out.

Yeah, a very basic structure - a barebones bathroom, a window unit a/c, a water heater, and cheap carpet with no kitchen or appliances. Basically an empty bedroom on top of a garage with finished walls. I figure that once I can get a handle on the basic construction costs, then I can worry about the level of finish: cabinets, appliances, central air, tile, wood paneling, home theater, etc etc. I can easily cost those things out, it's the construction that's getting me.

Right now the plan would be to use the space for storage and poker playing (or maybe a pool table) and for occasionally housing guests, but I don't think the plan would ever entail tricking it out enough to be sufficient as a separate residence.

My gut reaction is to say $80-100k, but really I have no idea. The design I have come up with in Chief Architect is 25x30 feet with two stories, so that's ~ $50-$70 / sqft, which seems high for some reason. Heck, I have no idea. :unsure:

My gut reaction is to say $80-100k, but really I have no idea. The design I have come up with in Chief Architect is 25x30 feet with two stories, so that's ~ $50-$70 / sqft, which seems high for some reason. Heck, I have no idea. :unsure:

$80-100k would be a VERY nice garage and REALLY REALLY REALLY NICE apartment above. I couldn't see what you're wanting going over ~$35k. The plumbing is going to run up the price a good bit, and probably provide little benefit.

$80-100k would be a VERY nice garage and REALLY REALLY REALLY NICE apartment above. I couldn't see what you're wanting going over ~$35k. The plumbing is going to run up the price a good bit, and probably provide little benefit.

Well, that's good then. If the propery values in our neighborhood keep rising - and it seems developers keep "discovering" that our location inside the West Loop is pretty cheap relative to Bellaire and the Galleria - then this will likely be a good option for us someday rather than looking for a bigger house. And if we can afford, perhaps we will turn it into a really nice space, maybe some wood paneling, a home theater, a wetbar, pool table, etc etc.

But thanks for the rough rule of thumb for the construction costs - that helps quite a bit.

Much more than that, jm. Last fall, Harvard Heights Construction ballparked a figure of $10,000 to $15,000 for a 20x20 single story garage with no electricty. A 2 story shell (no plumbing or electric) would run $28,000 to $30,000. He showed me a finished out 2 story that ran $70,000 to $75,000.

Obviously, your finishes can drastically affect price. I was going to go the 2 story shell route, and do the interiors myself with friends in the business. I was looking at about $55,000 total. Went the new kitchen route instead.

I've actually got two quotes coming in next week for a large garage/workshop with an unfinished space above (650 sq ft per level), plus a large covered porch off the front of the garage apt, with parking below, and a staircase tied into my back deck. I'm also designing it such that I have the option to later extend the house back 12 ft and integrate the space above the garage into house. I'll post the quotes...I'm anticipating $60k for what I want (that's no interior finishing).

One thing that is important to me is that I want the new structure to look exactly like the house (1910 late-Victorian bungalow). Too often I see people with beautiful original houses in the Heights build a garage/garage apt that looks like it belongs with a tract home in Katy, which really compromises the overall look of the property. Most of the builders I spoke with just have canned solutions they drop in all over town. So, to match the house - in both design and materials, I suspect I'm going to pay. But, to me, it's worth it.

Much more than that, jm. Last fall, Harvard Heights Construction ballparked a figure of $10,000 to $15,000 for a 20x20 single story garage with no electricty. A 2 story shell (no plumbing or electric) would run $28,000 to $30,000. He showed me a finished out 2 story that ran $70,000 to $75,000.

Obviously, your finishes can drastically affect price. I was going to go the 2 story shell route, and do the interiors myself with friends in the business. I was looking at about $55,000 total. Went the new kitchen route instead.

Yep, after I made that last post I found someone here at work who just had one built and he said the cost for his was $60k for the construction and $20k for demoliton of the old structure and foundation. Unfinished garage with a barebones interior above with one bathroom and a small kitchenette. The designs I came up with in Chief are a little nicer than that, with a bathroom on the first floor as well (accesible by an exterior door from the future swimming pool). Looks like my initial $75-100k might not be that far off after all.

Thanks for all the replies so far - does anyone have confirmation either way of the 900 sqft rule?

He has...or at least had a 20x20 for $10k

My garage/workshop/laundry is (according to the date scratched in the concrete) 60 years old, was apparently built without the aid of "engineering", and is now on the verge of implosion.

I've been debating tearing the thing down and rebuilding the garage with an apartment-style space on top - not to rent, but to use as a home office and to stick people in when they come to visit.

I live in Woodland Heights and couldn't find any mention of such in the deed restrictions. 900 sq ft is a problem as the design that I've been modeling in ArchiCad is 620 sq ft each level, for a total of 1240 sq ft!

That is BS - I just got plans and permits for a rent house I own in SW houston - that will have 1200 sq. ft of Garage with living space above.

Yep, after I made that last post I found someone here at work who just had one built and he said the cost for his was $60k for the construction and $20k for demoliton of the old structure and foundation.

$20k for demo?!?! Holy shat. Must've all had to be taken out by hand or something. I got a quote of $900 to have my current termite farm...err...shed (16'x30') torn down and hauled off.

Yep, after I made that last post I found someone here at work who just had one built and he said the cost for his was $60k for the construction and $20k for demoliton of the old structure and foundation. Unfinished garage with a barebones interior above with one bathroom and a small kitchenette. The designs I came up with in Chief are a little nicer than that, with a bathroom on the first floor as well (accesible by an exterior door from the future swimming pool). Looks like my initial $75-100k might not be that far off after all.

Thanks for all the replies so far - does anyone have confirmation either way of the 900 sqft rule?

:o $20k for demolition of a garage!!! Uh, no!

I just had a contractor take off the roof and all structural members of my addition for $3k. It took him about a week to surgically do by himself what could've been done in a day or two if he'd just brought out the heavy equipment and been allowed to take the whole addition down. He added a premium onto the price too because there was a substantial chance for a cave-in and blowout while he was on the roof as a result of rot, termite damage, and poor bracing.

That is BS - I just got plans and permits for a rent house I own in SW houston - that will have 1200 sq. ft of Garage with living space above.

Actually, regarding the 900 sq ft limitation, I have now found the answer. If the total "fully enclosed area" of buildings not attached to the house covers more than 900 sq ft of land on a residential lot, the lot must be replatted for two (or more) buildings.

I think the intent is to prevent me from getting a 1-acre lot, throwing up a bunch of 1000 sq ft houses to rent out, and claiming a homestead exemption on the whole place.

Actually, regarding the 900 sq ft limitation, I have now found the answer. If the total "fully enclosed area" of buildings not attached to the house covers more than 900 sq ft of land on a residential lot, the lot must be replatted for two (or more) buildings.

I think the intent is to prevent me from getting a 1-acre lot, throwing up a bunch of 1000 sq ft houses to rent out, and claiming a homestead exemption on the whole place.

So I guess a covered breezeway between the two would be acceptable, then? Either that or perhaps a variance would be in order, hopefully.

Archived