Hwy 71 in Bastrop

Work began Monday on Hwy 71 at 304 on the west side of Bastrop. Last year, the freeway was completed over the intersections of Childers and Hassler. This new segment will go over Hwy 304, the Home Depot entrance and Hwy 969 (and probably Hwy 20).

Work will also commence on 71 east of the Colorado with overpasses at Hwy 21 and Tahitian Drive/Loop 150. However, I am not sure when that work will begin. If you travel Hwy 71 much, you will understand how much this work was needed, and is appreciated.

I used to drive from Houston to Austin every week, and yes, the work is definitely needed. Do you know if they will put in overpasses at Bergstrom? There are four or five signals around the airport; the Riverside Dr light can be especially nasty.

Actually, the overpass at the entrance to Bergstrom has been there for quite a while. You have to exit the highway, then go under the highway at the light. There is not an exit ramp that takes you right into the airport.

They are working on Ben White east of I-35, and they are about to open the next leg. Going eastbound, you can go past 35 before having to exit onto the feeder.

Westbound, the worst intersection is 71 at Burleson. There is always a long backup trying to get through that light. I often exit at Montopolis to go to the VA. I

Archived