Houstons next mayor

Let's keep the term limits in a special form of function in which the official's peers decide whether the official is running a monopoly or not. Houston's got a small grassroots government of elected officials who work with each other on a variety of issues. If there's something the voters don't know about, the council will enforce it against the mayor and their own mayors. As for young new faces looking to come up in Houston's field, there are plenty of fair ways to do so in such a grassroots government movement as ours is as a local government.

The mayor has to build himself every day in his work to get support from Houstonians and two years from now that support may very well still be there. So we should celebrate that achievement and let him work for two more. Why not you say? I say this is important to have a fully well functioning city; to have a well functioning and competent mayor who knows what he is doing and has years of experience that he has achieved under his belt.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since that is what happened, I'm not sure what "grip" you are talking about. The guy most voters voted for was replaced by the looser.

Popular vote doesn't outweigh the electoral college nmain, that's why it is in place, to give every state an equal share. Sorry, but rulez is rulez main. :P-_-

Red, I can name some corruption in Lee Brown's admin. How about giving your 'ol buddy, the chief of police, a huge unjustified pay raise, when your crime lab is in shambles, just before he is leaving office, so that his pension will double when it comes due. <_<

BTW, what happens when the council is in league with those who would attempt to defraud the city, and the money goes unchecked because they have covered it up so well, and they just keep getting elected. THAT, is the Good Ol' Boys system of politics, THAT is why you don't leave the Fox to watch the Henhouse.

How do I post a picture? I have nice one of his campaign signs nailed into trees in Midtown. I actually emailed it to him.

Did you actually SEE Michael Berry, nail that sign to the tree ? I am sure one of the "undocumented" workers he hired to pass out fliers and such did the stabbing of the tree without his knowledge. I mean C'mon, it is really hard to nail a sign to a metal pole, I'm sure the worker didn't realize that what he or she was doing was wrong, and I seem to recall that Michael had all the signs taken down immediately and gave an apology.

"How do I post a picture ?" Coog, how long you been on this website ? :P:D

Let's look at the CRIME LAB this way. Who was Cheif of Police and for how long, before he became Mayor. I blame Mayor Brown completely for this F#CK UP ! He knew the crimelab was leaking all those years, he knew eveidence was just thrown in storage and never processed. Then 6 more years as a Mayor whose only agenda is to figure out how he and his oldest friends on the force are gonna get PAID ! He is a P.O.S., We would have been better off with Marion Berry at the helm. What's worse, a corrupt cop or a crackhead ?

TJ, the Carol Alvarado defense does not work for me. His campaign manager called me back, but I wanted to hear from the goofball himself.

And it's not just the trees in Midtown. He has them all over RR ROW, Interstates and even on top of buildings.

I thought editor added a feature to upload pictures?

TJ, the Carol Alvarado defense does not work for me. His campaign manager called me back, but I wanted to hear from the goofball himself.

And it's not just the trees in Midtown. He has them all over RR ROW, Interstates and even on top of buildings.

I thought editor added a feature to upload pictures?

I really can't see myself defending Michael "Deport'em all" Berry. I was just being Devil's Advocate there. I probably make a comment every other day about how many trees my company kills because of all the stupid paperwork that is so unnecessary, and over half of it could be eliminated with the use of email.

re: pictures...

not sure about uploading here, but tinypic.com is always easy, and just put the url in the image link

Just be careful using tinypic, all I usually see after uploading is some reddish brown background with a weird looking cartoon chicken on the left hand side. <_<;):D

Could you name some of the scandals that made this the most corrupt administration? I don't seem to recall them.

Corruption and incompetence are two vastly different things.

brown corruption

this is just one of the scandals involving some of lee brown's associates. Oliver Spellman was park director and eventually mr. brown's chief of staff. Ms. Alvarado was also mr brown's chief of staff. If you give me another day i can think of a few others who are also imprisoned.

I don't know who's gonna be running or if bill whites a shoe in, but if I had to pick somebody, I think I like Michael Barry. I don't know what his platform would be but I like the politics he talks and he seems like a hard worker. He's city council, has his own realty company and his own radio show on kprc, all at the same time, so that doesn't sound easy. What did yall think of bill whites tenure? I guess carolyn alvarado out of the question huh?

i thought term limits kick in for white?

I love Bill White and we shouldn't have lost Sheila Jackson Lee, Bob Lanier, or Lee Brown either.

Sheila Jackson-Lee?!?! OMG you have to be kidding!! puke.gif

Mayor Brown...what is that douchebag doing now, I wonder?

Shelia Jackson Lee wouldn't be a bad choice for mayor if Mayor White can no longer run, but I think we should keep our trend of crayola mayors (Bill White, Lee Brown) with, say, Clint Black, Vanna White, or the Color Purple?

Could you expand a little bit on WHY you think Shelia Jackson Lee would be a good mayor ? The only reason I can think of, is that she knows how to get some exposure by always playing the race card or showing her ignorance in some other way. So, maybe she would get a few more cameras thrown on our fair city, I would just hope that the cameras would put Houston in a good light.

Sheila would be totally ineffective as a mayor.

The only time she does anything is when there are cameras around. period.

I think Lanier (even though he was a screw up with the finances) and White are two of the best mayors I've seen in recent memory for Houston.

Could you expand a little bit on WHY you think Shelia Jackson Lee would be a good mayor ? The only reason I can think of, is that she knows how to get some exposure by always playing the race card or showing her ignorance in some other way. So, maybe she would get a few more cameras thrown on our fair city, I would just hope that the cameras would put Houston in a good light.

I don't know too much about what she has been doing for Houston since I left in 2001, but she's a face I've been familiar with when it came to community involvement and trying to get issues across for the city and congress. I honestly think that if she became mayor, she would be either the best or worst mayor in Houston history. Certainly nowhere in the middle.

Because of being overseas for so long, she's one of the few I've constantly heard about when it came to Houston politics. Can't think of many others other than Mayor White.

Because of being overseas for so long, she's one of the few I've constantly heard about when it came to Houston politics.

Sheile "camera" Jackson-Lee

Could it be that the reason you constantly heard about her is because she loves the TV cameras? If there is a camera to be found, she will be in front of it. Also, its a well known fact that when it comes time for the State of the Union Address, she shows up hours ahead of time to claim and wait in the most camera friendly spot in the chamber to make sure shes on the aisle and in the spot light. At that event, she gets to have her face broadcast worldwide...........

Ok. Let's just say that 2009 will be a crap shoot for the mayoral race, but it should be an interesting one, because I think that 2009 is also the year that METRO is supposed to ask the voters for the ability to float another round of bonds for the next round of expansion.

That posturing alone should make it interesting.

I don't know too much about what she has been doing for Houston since I left in 2001, but she's a face I've been familiar with when it came to community involvement and trying to get issues across for the city and congress. I honestly think that if she became mayor, she would be either the best or worst mayor in Houston history. Certainly nowhere in the middle.

Because of being overseas for so long, she's one of the few I've constantly heard about when it came to Houston politics. Can't think of many others other than Mayor White.

Ok, before you left in 2001, what "issues" was she persuing to "HELP" the city of Houston. DJ, all she does is play the same "I'm just a poor 'ol black woman, and that is why you won't listen to me." tired @$$ lines, all the time. I can't find one thing that she has done to be positive for our city. Please show me some facts of her great accomplishments towards our city that she wasn't trying to get something out of it for herself. -_-

DJ, all she does is play the same "I'm just a poor 'ol black woman, and that is why you won't listen to me." tired @$$ lines, all the time.

If she was saying, "I'm just a poor ol' Black woman", none of you Republican types would care. What annoys you is that she gets publicity for herself and her causes...and, she keeps getting re-elected with large majorities.

I believe what irritates you is that she is what many Southerners would call an "uppity you-know-what".

If she was saying, "I'm just a poor ol' Black woman", none of you Republican types would care. What annoys you is that she gets publicity for herself and her causes...and, she keeps getting re-elected with large majorities.

I believe what irritates you is that she is what many Southerners would call an "uppity you-know-what".

There you go assuming again, you want to try and say that she has good merits, and that is why she keeps getting elected. No Red, she relies on the fact that she is a poor black woman as to how she is gonna keep getting elected. Nothing "uppity" about her, just ignorant. I guess you would also deny the fact that she does nothing but play on race in order to be heard, when all it is, is that she has nothing with merit to say.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/620788/posts

here is some light reading for those of you who think she is a "gem" for us to be represented by.

......and this is just one of the comments she has made:

Taking offense, Jackson Lee said, "Only Congresswoman Jackson Lee gets cited by the chair and she will continue to be cited. . ."

An angry exchange ensued, during which Rohrabacher slammed the gavel and told Jackson Lee several times that she was not recognized and needed to stop talking.

"I'm the only member that you comment on," Jackson Lee firmly stated. "It may be that I'm the only African-American woman sitting here."

As the audience sat stunned, Rohrabacher lowered his voice to say, "Ms. Jackson Lee, that type of charge is beneath you. It's beneath your dignity."

..........but this is what this woman thrives on.

Ok, before you left in 2001, what "issues" was she persuing to "HELP" the city of Houston. DJ, all she does is play the same "I'm just a poor 'ol black woman, and that is why you won't listen to me." tired @$$ lines, all the time. I can't find one thing that she has done to be positive for our city. Please show me some facts of her great accomplishments towards our city that she wasn't trying to get something out of it for herself. -_-

I'm not too aware of her style of protests, but I will agree with Moonman that she sure ain't camera-shy, and that is definately a reason why I kept hearing about her in Korea. Feel free to correct me, but she always appeared to be on top of an issue before it became an issue.

I can't see Houstonians voting for a person they don't know unless the other candidates are also under-the-radar, or if that popular candidate has a history of corruption. Lee Brown won that way in my opinion; a good national resume. The way I see it, if she only works when cameras are around, with the amount of camera-attention she would recieve while in office, what are the odds of her (beep)king up the job? B)

SJL is my representative. She has NEVER responded-even with a form letter-to any of our concerns. She has turned her back in mid-sentence while speaking to her. I voted for her the first time because I thought she deserved a chance but have refrained since. You say: " But you gotta vote!!!" If all I have is Hitler Vs Stalin, then I'll just take my chances and abstain.

B)

I'm not too aware of her style of protests, but I will agree with Moonman that she sure ain't camera-shy, and that is definately a reason why I kept hearing about her in Korea. Feel free to correct me, but she always appeared to be on top of an issue before it became an issue.

I can't see Houstonians voting for a person they don't know unless the other candidates are also under-the-radar, or if that popular candidate has a history of corruption. Lee Brown won that way in my opinion; a good national resume. The way I see it, if she only works when cameras are around, with the amount of camera-attention she would recieve while in office, what are the odds of her (beep)king up the job? B)

i am not adverse to camera-chasin' politicians (heck everyone wants to be a celebrity these days) but only if they are DOING something. i cannot say what sjl has or has not done, so i am keeping an open mind about here. i would have to visit her website or other election watchdog type groups to see about her stated goals and her actual accomplishments.

i really like mayor white simply because he is so low-key and because he spends his time DOING rather than talking. and when he is talking, you can best believe something is gonna get done.

i'll have to read and learn more about sjl and any other candidate that might be preparing to run.

Archived