Houstons next mayor

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Saylor-where is that from?

B)

My wife wanted to spell it Sailor. I changed it, so everyone wouldn't go "AHOY !". My wife was a registered nurse and worked with another nurse named Sailor, we just kinda liked the name, and We wanted some kind of association with water this time, since our first born is named Skye. If we have a third, he or she will probably be named after the Earth.

psssst........ Don't tell anybody that I'm married to a Bohemian woman ok. Thanks ^_^

Didn't help that he ran for council in a district to which he had absolutely no real prior connection.

He's an at-large councilmember in his third term, isn't he?

Things White has to improve on:

I'd add that the police non-emergency services (loud noises, etc) needs BIG help. Try calling sometime. You're either put on hold for a long time OR they never come out. Also the recent dog bite capital article is bringing to light a problem that has been getting worse during the White administration. He does not consider it a problem. It always takes someone else (magazine article, tv show) to point out our shortcomings and then Mayor White has a newsconference to say he is "fixin" the problem in "U-ston"

I think Bill White will work hard to rehab Carol Alvorado's image and groom her as a replacement.

It won't work, but he'll still try it. I think he's put a lot of effort into preparing her for the role.

Are you serious ? <_<:lol: If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.............

Alvarado's District I has a long history of voting for crooked politicians.

Ben Reyes, Betty Maldandao and that other guy who I forget right now.

Betty's position was not an elected one. she was appointed port commissioner.

The other guy is John Castillo, Idylwood resident.

I say keep term limits. Go work an election sometime and see why everyone shouldn't be allowed to vote. They need to have a minimum literacy requirement

...They should get rid of term limits. Both for the mayor and the city council.

Nah........You gotta keep pumping new blood into city government every now and again or the city becomes stagnent. -_-

They need to have a minimum literacy requirement

And bring back the poll tax too!!! <_<

I think that the results of our last presidential election is sufficient proof that there should be a minimum literacy requirement to vote. And the candidates the major parties gives us are evidence that the Republicans and Democrats are functionally illiterate as well...

I like our (at least nominally) non-partisan elections for our city leaders here in Houston. I wonder how that would work for the US?

They should have a law that every three terms (six years) the council should vote to approve the mayor.

...and decide if he is allowed to run again. This would help prevent monopoly.

It sounds stupid but it isn't because the council should be working well together and would help make a sound decision. We've lost too many good CEO's in this city to term limits. If our city gets a good CEO we should keep him and we shouldn't deny him the ability to work for us after so many years.

We need to do something to improve the situation. I love Bill White and we shouldn't have lost Sheila Jackson Lee, Bob Lanier, or Lee Brown either. They should still be working for this city. That's who I want to keep and we need a system that keeps em.

They should have a law that every three terms (six years) the council should vote to approve the mayor.

...and decide if he is allowed to run again. This would help prevent monopoly.

It sounds stupid but it isn't because the council should be working well together and would help make a sound decision. We've lost too many good CEO's in this city to term limits. If our city gets a good CEO we should keep him and we shouldn't deny him the ability to work for us after so many years.

We need to do something to improve the situation. I love Bill White and we shouldn't have lost Sheila Jackson Lee, Bob Lanier, or Lee Brown either. They should still be working for this city. That's who I want to keep and we need a system that keeps em.

Name these C.EO.'s and what they did for Houston.

I love Bill White and we shouldn't have lost Sheila Jackson Lee, Bob Lanier, or Lee Brown either. They should still be working for this city. That's who I want to keep and we need a system that keeps em.

The Lee Brown administration is one of the most corrupt ever. Even though i liked Bob Lanier, that's where much of the corruption started. The good ole boy system was definitely at work. Mr Lanier knew how to keep it hidden. Lee Brown tried to lead but in the end he was plagued with incompetence. THAT is why I support term limits. For him to win three times was a shame.

Anthony Hall, Rodney Ellis, Sheila Jackson-Lee, Sylvia Garcia, Martha Wong, Chris Bell and Annise Parker.

The Lee Brown administration is one of the most corrupt ever. Even though i liked Bob Lanier, that's where much of the corruption started. The good ole boy system was definitely at work. Mr Lanier knew how to keep it hidden. Lee Brown tried to lead but in the end he was plagued with incompetence. THAT is why I support term limits. For him to win three times was a shame.

well then a city council check on the system would work. Something should be done.

Could you name some of the scandals that made this the most corrupt administration? I don't seem to recall them.

Corruption and incompetence are two vastly different things.

I think a city council vote on whether or not the term limits should be enforced on any elected official every three terms would work; and I mean that as in it would only work in Houston where the strong mayor system has people working together often.

I think a city council vote on whether or not the term limits should be enforced on any elected official every three terms would work; and I mean that as in it would only work in Houston where the strong mayor system has people working together often.

I think term limitations should be left up to myself, the voter. If there had been limits when Whitmire was in office, I would have been denied my choice. I don't think term limits should be foisted upon the voters. I would feel the same when it comes to Presidential elections. The SC denied the winner of the 2000 general election and look what happened.

I like White. If he does as well in his next term, why am I to be denied the right to vote him in for a fourth?

Good gawd man, get a grip.

The SC denied the winner of the 2000 general election and look what happened.

Since that is what happened, I'm not sure what "grip" you are talking about. The guy most voters voted for was replaced by the looser.

Archived