Houstons next mayor

I don't know who's gonna be running or if bill whites a shoe in, but if I had to pick somebody, I think I like Michael Barry. I don't know what his platform would be but I like the politics he talks and he seems like a hard worker. He's city council, has his own realty company and his own radio show on kprc, all at the same time, so that doesn't sound easy. What did yall think of bill whites tenure? I guess carolyn alvarado out of the question huh?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michael "I nail my campaign signs into 100 year live oaks" Berry?

Not going to happen.

You know Mayor White will win if he runs again. Who knows, maybe Alvarado will throw her hat in the ring.

It's pretty funny that anyone would see Berry's real estate business and being on city council as a good thing.

That's actually been the problem with Houston for far too long.

Too many conflicts of intrest.

Coog, is he the SAME Michael Berry that is on 950am ? I want to say he is, but I get confused about it.

Michael Berry - aka Mr. Mom. Except without any kids.

I wish I could find the old Houston Press article about him. They ripped him and his wife a new one.

The article was titled "Running Mates" by Tim Fleck.

I wouldn't even wish Michael Berry on Dallas.

Michael Berry - aka Mr. Mom. Except without any kids.

I wish I could find the old Houston Press article about him. They ripped him and his wife a new one.

The article was titled "Running Mates" by Tim Fleck.

I wouldn't even wish Michael Berry on Dallas.

from the press archives...

http://houstonpress.com/Issues/2003-08-28/news/feature.html

Initially, I thought Berry to be an intriguing buy and then I learned a few more things about him. Didn't help that he ran for council in a district to which he had absolutely no real prior connection. But the next election will see Bill White roll on to another victory unless something beyond disastrous occurs on his watch.

His handling of Hurricane Katrina's fallout, the city's budget and his solid working relationship with the business world are serious plusses.

Things White has to improve on:

1 - Crime. Say what you want about Lee Brown but his experience as the former police chief gave him an advantage in dealing with HPD politics. Unfortunately, the shortsightedness of the 80s has lead to a force that hasn't effectively recruited for the future and now Bill White (and Harold Hurtt) are stuck trying to do what hasn't been done since 1985--a large, successful recruitment of hundreds of police officers to address a booming municipal population. The homicide rate appears to have flattened over the past couple of months after a steady spike over the previous six or seven--but how long will it stay flat without a better officer count? From what I've read, the city has added about 20 new officers to the city's police cadet class. The ultimate goal is 200. Lots of work needed.

2. Street repairs - This was one of Lee Brown's shortcomings, too. Take the OST repavement from SH 288 to MLK. The road was scraped back in November and it's STILL unpaved. Granted, they've built new sidewalks but it doesn't take six months to lay down simple asphalt ala what we saw on Westheimer three or four years ago. And it doesn't appear to be the typical black/white rich/poor dynamic either, because Studewood went/is going through a similar deal. On top of that, several roads are due for serious repairs and you wonder if/when the city will get to it.

3. Transit - Bob Lanier seemed antagonistic most of the time, Brown more accomodating (but clearly not transit-savvy) while White seems like more of a peacemaker between Frank Wilson and Culberson. I think stronger leadership on this issue by White helps METRO deal with the likes of Councilperson Wong much better. One concilperson with a self-serving interest shouldn't be able to potentially hijack and derail (no pun) an initiative voted on by the majority.

However, none of these issues is so contentious that they're likely to outweight the good that his administration has managed through three-plus years. We'll see, though.

If she does I hope it's thrown right back at her.

I was being sarcastic, don't need that trash in the office.

Initially, I thought Berry to be an intriguing buy and then I learned a few more things about him. Didn't help that he ran for council in a district to which he had absolutely no real prior connection.

Do you feel the same way about Lampson in Sugarland ?

Frankly, yes. But it seems more egregous when you're talking city government. A councilperson who has a real tie to the community can more often better represent them--given that he's a good representative to begin with. It's a lot more difficult to voice the concerns of a community if you aren't really familar with their surroundings and the history of those surroundings. Obviously, it doesn't mean 100% that you can't be affective, but it seems to make it lot less likely, IMO.

Of course, the people in that district voted for him so in the bigger scheme, it's all good. I'm merely brow beating him more on philosophy than results.

Frankly, yes. But it seems more egregous when you're talking city government. A councilperson who has a real tie to the community can more often better represent them--given that he's a good representative to begin with. It's a lot more difficult to voice the concerns of a community if you aren't really familar with their surroundings and the history of those surroundings. Obviously, it doesn't mean 100% that you can't be affective, but it seems to make it lot less likely, IMO.

Of course, the people in that district voted for him so in the bigger scheme, it's all good. I'm merely brow beating him more on philosophy than results.

Agreed, I was listening to him Rant about the border issue today on 950am, I don't know, his voice just doesn't sound STRONG to me. I believe he truly cares about Houston, one thing I don't like about him is that he doesn't stick to his principles. He went ahead and took his "pay raise" 5 months after he said he was never gonna take it, so that it would help the city budget. That spells HYPOCRITE to me. I have a sinking feeling he is gonna become part of the Alvarado scandal.

http://gis1.tlc.state.tx.us/static/pdf_congress/22.pdf

The 22nd Congressional District of Texas is comprised of parts of four different counties in Southeast Texas: Fort Bend, Brazoria, Galveston, and Harris. Over 600,000 people live in TX-22 with part or all of Sugar Land, Missouri City, Clear Lake, Pearland, Deer Park, Pasadena, La Porte, Rosenberg, and other communities within its borders, as well as Ellington Air Force Base and NASA.

Do you have to live in Sugarland to represent a district that sprawls from the borders of Wharton County to the borders of Chambers County? If he was from Pearland, would that disquallify him?

B)

Now go have your baby, TJ, and don't name her after the kid in The Exorcits-she will kill you and your wife once she figures it out. :lol:

B)B)

http://gis1.tlc.state.tx.us/static/pdf_congress/22.pdf

The 22nd Congressional District of Texas is comprised of parts of four different counties in Southeast Texas: Fort Bend, Brazoria, Galveston, and Harris. Over 600,000 people live in TX-22 with part or all of Sugar Land, Missouri City, Clear Lake, Pearland, Deer Park, Pasadena, La Porte, Rosenberg, and other communities within its borders, as well as Ellington Air Force Base and NASA.

Do you have to live in Sugarland to represent a district that sprawls from the borders of Wharton County to the borders of Chambers County? If he was from Pearland, would that disquallify him?

B)

Now go have your baby, TJ, and don't name her after the kid in The Exorcits-she will kill you and your wife once she figures it out. :lol:

B)B)

It's spelled different, but holy crap I forgot about that, Reagan is out ! I guess we go with Saylor. Thanks for the heads up nmain.

Archived