FBI: Rep. Jefferson Took $100,000 Bribe

nmainguy

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5423211

While this may ulitmatly pale compared to the widespread corruption in the Republican party, why hasn't another left-leaning guy like myself posted about this sack of crap?

In addition, why are the right-leaning posters so silent on the DeLay, Cunningham, Abramoff, Ney, etc sacks of crap. I would think we would all want to weed out as many of these sacks of crap as possible. Is this being reported on as thouroughly on FOX as it is on NPR?

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get a couple of things out of the freezer to thaw.

B)

While this may ulitmatly pale compared to the widespread corruption in the Republican party, why hasn't another left-leaning guy like myself posted about this sack of crap?

In addition, why are the right-leaning posters so silent on the DeLay, Cunningham, Abramoff, Ney, etc sacks of crap. I would think we would all want to weed out as many of these sacks of crap as possible. Is this being reported on as thouroughly on FOX as it is on NPR?

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get a couple of things out of the freezer to thaw.

B)

I didn't know about it myself until this morning's (and afternoon's) NPR stories. They don't appear to be reporting it elsewhere. You're right. It is odd.

On the other hand, it isn't nearly as juicy. For one, the guy was pretty low-level, whereas Delay was the majority leader. Second, the guy was from Louisiana...does corruption come as a surprise to anyone regarding Louisiana politicians? Thirdly, there was no prolonged, or uncertain court battle, no waiting, no speculation, and no controversy regarding grand juries--just a clean sting operation and pretty conclusive findings.

So as a bottom line, it doesn't sell well as a story.

Frankly, its one of those things that it doesn't help to get frustrated about, because there is NOTHING that most folks can do anything about. Those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...goes for both sides of the asile. The corollary to that is, if you don't consider yourself on either side of the asile or don't vote, then let this serve as a reminder why.

if you don't consider yourself on either side of the asile or don't vote, then let this serve as a reminder why.

But I do vote and I do have a side of the aisle so when a guy on my side is freezing assets in his home freezer, then yes-I'll be screaming loudest to have his ass thrown in the slammer. I won't dick around until until a DeLay is finally indicted or a Cunningham is in prison. You got a bad apple on the top of the pile in Louisianna, Kentucky, California or Maine? Disavow it at once, throw it out and be done with it.

But I do vote and I do have a side of the aisle so when a guy on my side is freezing assets in his home freezer, then yes-I'll be screaming loudest to have his ass thrown in the slammer. I won't dick around until until a DeLay is finally indicted or a Cunningham is in prison. You got a bad apple on the top of the pile in Louisianna, Kentucky, California or Maine? Disavow it at once, throw it out and be done with it.

Looks like that's what they're going to do...at least in this case.

Still, corruption, like other things, happens. It just isn't that compelling when its such a clean bust.

B)

I just heard about this in the evening news. All these low lifes that take advantage of the system for their own personal gain should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. No matter what party or position.

Yeah I know this will probably always exist. Question? What can be done to prevent or at least curb corruption in all levels of govt.? Harsher penalties? Legislation for more transparentcy in the system?

I just heard about this in the evening news. All these low lifes that take advantage of the system for their own personal gain should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. No matter what party or position.

Yeah I know this will probably always exist. Question? What can be done to prevent or at least curb corruption in all levels of govt.? Harsher penalties? Legislation for more transparentcy in the system?

Asking congress to regulate themselves effectively would require a bipartisan outrage the likes of which would put other hot button issues to shame. It'll never happen.

Asking congress to regulate themselves effectively would require a bipartisan outrage the likes of which would put other hot button issues to shame. It'll never happen.

Funny, you should mention bipartisan outrage. It appears there IS bipartisan outrage over this case. Unfortunately, it is NOT because congressmen are taking $100,000 bribes. It is because the FBI got a warrant to search the congressman's OFFICE on Capitol Hill.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12923604/

Good to see Congress speaking with one voice on this issue. :blink:

I think most Republican voters are not real pleased with the so-called "conservative" crapsacks you mentioned above--though I wouldn't go so far as to call what has happened "widespread corruption". Yes, all of it has been and is currently discussed on FOX. Neil Cavuto, Beltway Boys, etc...they like to throw all of them around in many "what if" scenarios that drive me batty.

Speaking as a "tweener" (between Republican and Indie), I think the whole lot of them should be thrown to the lions. Pigs!

Funny, you should mention bipartisan outrage. It appears there IS bipartisan outrage over this case. Unfortunately, it is NOT because congressmen are taking $100,000 bribes. It is because the FBI got a warrant to search the congressman's OFFICE on Capitol Hill.

Yeah the look on the House Speaker Dennis Hastert's face was like "oh crap if it could happen to him it could happend to all us crooked politicians" :blink:

Yep ! It's all fun and games until one of your own gets popped with a search warrant because you got caught on camera taking a bribe, and putting the money in the trunk of your car. :blush:

Yep ! It's all fun and games until one of your own gets popped with a search warrant because you got caught on camera taking a bribe, and putting the money in the trunk of your car. :blush:

Well, at least now we know where the term "cold, hard cash" comes from. :o

Archived