METRORail And Hermann Park Train Hooking Up

houstonsemipro

New plans for Hermann Park train

A park renovation deal recently approved by Houston City Council has set the stage for an interesting first.

Generations of Houstonians have taken the train for recreational rides through Hermann Park.

Passengers riding on the Metro Rail line will eventually be able to walk over to another track and basically transfer between trains.

It

The idea is a good one but it is unfortunate that a "new ADA compliant train" will be needed. the look of the old one has lots of memories. maybe they can just attach at car at the rear that's is wheel chair capable. they should do something like this downtown. Where're the trolleys when you need em?

I have mentioned this a couple of times, but I have never had it verified. I believe at least one of the trains at Herman Park came from Playland Park.

BTW, did anyone know the Herman Park was named for George Herman, and that he pronounced his last name as "Harmon"? That's like the street "Elgin" was named after a man who pronounced his name with a soft "g" as in "again" - Elgin, as the way the town east of Austin is pronounced.

I have mentioned this a couple of times, but I have never had it verified. I believe at least one of the trains at Herman Park came from Playland Park.

BTW, did anyone know the Herman Park was named for George Herman, and that he pronounced his last name as "Harmon"? That's like the street "Elgin" was named after a man who pronounced his name with a soft "g" as in "again" - Elgin, as the way the town east of Austin is pronounced.

I knew Hermann Park was named after George Hermann, but had no idea he pronounced it "Harmon." As for Eligin St., I have always pronounced it as you describe, with the g like in "again." My mother, who is a Houston native that grew up in Montrose and Willow Meadows, does the same. It was only after I moved here in 2000 I heard people pronouncing it the other way, and it still gets on my nerves for some reason.

The idea is a good one but it is unfortunate that a "new ADA compliant train" will be needed. the look of the old one has lots of memories.

The memories :wub: What would these "new ADA compliant train" look like?

they should do something like this downtown.
Like in the tunnels or under them? Get each building that wants a part of the train traffic to do their part like the tunnels?
I knew Hermann Park was named after George Hermann, but had no idea he pronounced it "Harmon." As for Eligin St., I have always pronounced it as you describe, with the g like in "again." My mother, who is a Houston native that grew up in Montrose and Willow Meadows, does the same. It was only after I moved here in 2000 I heard people pronouncing it the other way, and it still gets on my nerves for some reason.

I wasn't sure at first I would pronounce it both ways then just the way that would get on your nerves..... Well, now I know :)

That's like the street "Elgin" was named after a man who pronounced his name with a soft "g" as in "again" - Elgin, as the way the town east of Austin is pronounced.

Native here and never heard it with a hard G.

One street though that i have to throw into the mix is Tuam. one syllable or two?

Cost Benefit Analysis.

ADA kiddie train compliance vs. number of ADA people riding it.

Come on now!

Don't y'all remeber the REAL story? Remember about the family that had the kiddie train contract for EONS that was terminated by the city?

Talk about a real setup.

The idea is a good one but it is unfortunate that a "new ADA compliant train" will be needed.

A lot of terminal/disabled people from the Med Center are taken to the park for "time away". I suspect that might be some of the motivation for the "ADA compliant" train.

Actually, the correct Houston pronunciation is "San FILL-uh-pee"...at least the way I was raised.

That is incorrect. The second syllable should be accented in Felipe.

Next Spanish lesson.....there is no such thing as chicken fajita.

That is incorrect. The second syllable should be accented in Felipe.

No, he said the correct Houston pronunciation is "San FILL-uh-pee", not the correct Spanish pronunciation. I think it was traditionally pronounced "San FILL-uh-pee" around here. There's no requirement to hew to pronunciations per originating languages. After all, Paris, Texas doesn't call itself "Paree".

Cost Benefit Analysis.

ADA kiddie train compliance vs. number of ADA people riding it.

Come on now!

It may not be just an issue of cost. I would have a hard time begrudging the expense of making it ADA-compliant.

No, he said the correct Houston pronunciation is "San FILL-uh-pee", not the correct Spanish pronunciation. I think it was traditionally pronounced "San FILL-uh-pee" around here. There's no requirement to hew to pronunciations per originating languages. After all, Paris, Texas doesn't call itself "Paree".

I"ve heard it both ways for 39 yrs from caucasians and hispanics.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to METRORail And Hermann Park Train Hooking Up?
  • The title was changed to METRORail And Hermann Park Train Hooking Up

Archived