Whole Foods Market At 15900 Southwest Fwy.

ProHouston

Reported by the Chronicle:

Retail will be at the bottom end of the lake in Lake Pointe Village. Newton said planners are hoping Whole Foods Market will be the anchor store. "There has never been a more requested retailer in our 20-year history here. Never have we had such a strong response for a store as we have for Whole Foods," Newton said.

Amy Schaefer, spokeswoman for Austin-based Whole Foods Market, said, "We are looking for new store sites all the time." A decision on whether Whole Foods Market will be the anchor store could come as early as March, according to Newton.

Lake Pointe development poised to take off

I know Whole Foods is popular and this is a prime retail intersection for Sugar Land, would you shop at Whole Foods?

Reported by the Chronicle:

Lake Pointe development poised to take off

I know Whole Foods is popular and this is a prime retail intersection for Sugar Land, would you shop at Whole Foods?

Yes I would. I currently make the drive into the Kirby store weekly and having one so close, I live in Sugar Creek, would be GREAT!

That is, Assuming the quality was as high as the Kirby location ( mainly the fish market). If they tried to slip in something like the Wilcrest store.....Never mind.

If they tried to slip in something like the Wilcrest store.....Never mind.

This is why you won't find a Whole Foods in Sugar Land, Clear Lake or The Woodlands. Whole Foods won't open a store in an area where they would end up not making as much as the Kirby store. As much as people want a Whole Foods in those areas, there's just not enough to support the sales that the Kirby store makes. A lot of folks in those areas are committed to their Randall's and Kroger's. It's a small percentage of folks who live out in those areas that shop at the Kirby location.

I'll wager that you will see another Whole Foods in the Galleria area before you'll find one in Sugar Land.

Just my guess.

This is why you won't find a Whole Foods in Sugar Land, Clear Lake or The Woodlands. Whole Foods won't open a store in an area where they would end up not making as much as the Kirby store. As much as people want a Whole Foods in those areas, there's just not enough to support the sales that the Kirby store makes. A lot of folks in those areas are committed to their Randall's and Kroger's. It's a small percentage of folks who live out in those areas that shop at the Kirby location.

I'll wager that you will see another Whole Foods in the Galleria area before you'll find one in Sugar Land.

Just my guess.

I would not take that bet. I think the Lake Pointe developer is using the Whole Foods 'rumor' to hype his development. Sure, Sugar Land has alot of 'high end' dining and shoppinp. But, I just do not see 97% of Sugar Landtonians willing to pay $3.00 to $5.00 for a dozen eggs. Not to be insulting, I just don't think thay would see the value.

• 2 months later...
I would not take that bet. I think the Lake Pointe developer is using the Whole Foods 'rumor' to hype his development. Sure, Sugar Land has alot of 'high end' dining and shoppinp. But, I just do not see 97% of Sugar Landtonians willing to pay $3.00 to $5.00 for a dozen eggs. Not to be insulting, I just don't think thay would see the value.

I may have to eat my words on this. According to an article in the Austin Americam Statesman today, Whole Foods signed 9 leases this year-one in Houston and one in Sugar Land.

I stand corrected.

Look for a Sugarland Whole Foods some time in 2007. It'll be about 55,000 square feet!

And look for an 80,000 sq foot Galleria area Whole Foods on San Felipe and Post Oak in late 2008, early 2009

Whole Foods Market Plans Big Store For Sugar Land's Lake Pointe Village Center

by FortBendNow Staff, Tuesday May 16, 2006

Whole Foods Market is opening its first Fort Bend County location at Lake Pointe Village, a new shopping center at State Highway 6 and U.S. Highway 59 in Sugar Land.

This is great news for First Colony and Sugar Land. I can't wait for this center to open. It seems like it is taking an extremely long time to get construction momentum.

Just think about what the 59/6 interchange will be like in 2 years. Town Square will be complete and Lake Pointe Center as well. This will be a major retail destination for all of Houstonia. If they could just find a way to shuttle pedestrians between Lake Pointe, Town Square, and First Colony mall...

• 2 weeks later...
Just what I thought it was gonna be...checked out a rendering of the shopping center and it looked like someone by the likes of Whole Foods was going to take the big spot at the end...I might as well pat myself on the back.

Can you point us in the right direction. I would like to see a rendering of it as well. I am not sure what you are expecing. It is a retail center. There are not a lot of placement options for an 80,000 SF anchor tenant.

• 3 months later...

Just my guess.

on the whole foods website, in addition to high income and an educated populace, a high visibility requirement is essential before whole foods will go into an area. unless they build outside of the woodlands proper, we may never see a whole foods up here.

the san felipe/post oak store should be really nice. kudos to sugarland. i'm way jealous.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is a current photo of the current construction progress. I took this on my way back to the office from lunch.

Just a big concrete shell with some metal supports so far in a dusty parking lot.

Note: Just for clarification, this is the Whole Foods construction, not the strip center, I just don't want "some" people to get confused what I am talking about.

4mt53pl.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I said this in an earlier thread, but you asked ProHouston, so no, I would not shop at Whole Foods. But then not very many of us in the building trades shop at these types of stores. Whole Foods ripped us off when they were building their Kirby Store. We never got paid, even though they promised us they would. Shame on us though, we were naive and did not follow proper mechanics lien procedures. I've learned now but I will never forget it.

Whole Foods is definitely not that snobby about the neighborhood. When I lived in Dallas there was one about a mile away and another about 4 miles away. I wasn't living in a neighborhood anything like Kirby. I imagine that they dropped into Wilcrest to test the market in Houston. The store is way too small, though it does a lot of business. There's no reason they shouldn't expand there or anywhere in Houston. I wish they would build a larger store on Westheimer before they run out of places to build.

• 2 weeks later...
Whole Foods is definitely not that snobby about the neighborhood. When I lived in Dallas there was one about a mile away and another about 4 miles away. I wasn't living in a neighborhood anything like Kirby. I imagine that they dropped into Wilcrest to test the market in Houston. The store is way too small, though it does a lot of business. There's no reason they shouldn't expand there or anywhere in Houston. I wish they would build a larger store on Westheimer before they run out of places to build.

Actually Whole Foods is starting to get a little snotty - not about neighborhood, but rather its customers ability to pay - they need customers with high incomes to pay their higher prices.

Where did you live in Dallas? The Greenville Ave (1st in Dallas) store is about to close. It will be relocating to Lakewood where a brand new store will be replacing the old Minyard's at Gaston & Abrams. Meanwhile one of Whole Foods biggest stores ever is about to open in the Park Lane development east of NorthPark.

Whole Foods is definitely not snotty, but you need to be prepared to pay its prices

I have heard that Whole Foods is looking to find a better location that its old Wilcrest Store

• 4 months later...

The leaf serves as a rainwater collection system that will be used as back-up irrigation for the extensive plaza landscaping.

The store also will feature the Sweet Peas Clubhouse, a children's indoor-outdoor exploration area where children ages 3-7 will be supervised while parents shop.

Got to hand it to them to adapt to their suburban surroundings with the kiddie play area. It probably helps keep the lower shelves in the store neat too. B)

Actually Whole Foods is starting to get a little snotty - not about neighborhood, but rather its customers ability to pay - they need customers with high incomes to pay their higher prices.

Where did you live in Dallas? The Greenville Ave (1st in Dallas) store is about to close. It will be relocating to Lakewood where a brand new store will be replacing the old Minyard's at Gaston & Abrams. Meanwhile one of Whole Foods biggest stores ever is about to open in the Park Lane development east of NorthPark.

Whole Foods is definitely not snotty, but you need to be prepared to pay its prices

I have heard that Whole Foods is looking to find a better location that its old Wilcrest Store

Wilcrest Store is doing just fine. Totally packed. They have Western Memorial, East Katy and Royal Oaks to sustain them.

• 3 weeks later...
I believe they were opened yesterday already. I saw lots of vehicles in the parking lot during the evening hours.

Nope. Those were employees preparing for the big opening.

Say what you will about Whole Foods, it's a model corporation for the way it treats it's employees. Their CEO's salary is tied to the employee's salary. That's why he makes less then 200k a year. When he gets a raise, everyone gets a raise. Bonuses are frequent. When the store is doing well it passes it's profits on to it's employees. They don't hire outsiders for management positions. Most of their managers started out at the very bottom.

I agree their prices are more then I can afford but they do support local farmers and crafters. Your more likely to get something grown or made around Houston at Whole Foods. So at least your supporting the local economy instead of Mexico like you would at HEB or other stores.

What I really like about Whole Foods is their micro brewery beer selection. You won't find a Budweiser or Miller Light anywhere in the store. Any retard that drinks that crap is definitely not Whole Foods material.

I went last night for the "soft" opening. Wow! It was packed! The place is really nice and the layout is great. Even the outdoor area and indoor/outdoor restaurant are very well done. I look forward to shopping here frequently.

But yes, it is a bit pricey.

Archived