One Park Place: Multifamily At 1400 McKinney St.

GovernorAggie

Someone here on HAIF has told us that cannot be true.

Why can't it be true? I'd like to see a Two Park Place. Office space is nice if it means another surface parking lot bites the dust, but I'd rather see more residential with retail at the bottom near the park, that would be the bee's knees. Oh well

Why can't it be true? I'd like to see a Two Park Place. Office space is nice if it means another surface parking lot bites the dust, but I'd rather see more residential with retail at the bottom near the park, that would be the bee's knees. Oh well

I agree with your thoughts. What someone told us (and I don't remember who it was), was that the owners of the adjoining block have no interest in selling or otherwise agreeing to allow Finger develop their property.

finger does have an option to do a second phase.

edited to add the word "have"

duh

: insert smacks head emoticon :

Edited by houston-development

What kind of things do you hear? Just somewhat interested or pretty excited?

I'm so sorry I just now saw you had a question about my remark on people's responses coming back from Rockets' games...

Most people seemed very curious, and some have tried to guess what was going on. I've even heard people say, "I didn't know they were putting a park in here". Now with Discovery Tower underway, I have noticed people eyeballing the work going on there too.

• 3 weeks later...

"One Park Place is a 497,677 s.f., 37-story apartment tower in Downtown Houston. The first one in four decades. This project will incorporate brick skin with aluminum handrails and a fiberglass mansard roof. An amenities deck with pool on the 8th level will enhance the 342 units. There will be 7-levels of parking under the apartment tower and retail on the first floor." from Harvey construction website.

So they are currently on on the 22-23 floor so they still have 14-15 floors to go not to mention the roof.

So they are currently on on the 22-23 floor so they still have 14-15 floors to go not to mention the roof.

Actually, I think they're on the 30th floor or so at the moment. I took a photo from the park on Tuesday and they were working on the 29th at the time, so given that they average about 1 a week... that's my guess. Haven't seen it in a few days.

Thanks for all the photos, btw! Always appreciate seeing different vantage points of the sites

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

I've heard that OPP is already 20% leased without beginning to market the apartments/lofts. So I do believe that there is a significant amount of pent-up demand for urban living. I've been to the park almost every weekend since it has opened and every weekend it is packed. I can only believe that it will help them lease out more apartments. And once HP opens, I think this could be the turning point that we have been waiting for in regards to downtown development.

I've heard that OPP is already 20% leased without beginning to market the apartments/lofts.

Anybody know how many of these are corporate units? I know Finger was investigating at one point whether the big legal and accounting firms would have any interest in leasing blocks of apartments for their transient employees and contractors.

The park seems to be a nice pontential marketing tool for the highrise. Lots of on-site perusing by people of all backgrounds but specifically those who use The Grove as a new hangout now. If park activity remains constant over the next 24 months and sales at OPP hit 75% or better in that time, I can see someone moving ahead with a tower on the southern edge of Disco G.

Lots of if's of course but at least the area is off to a good start.

It is a lot of if's, but I think there are reasonable assumptions. Houston House Apartments has been over 85% leased over the last 10 years and now they are about to go through a signficant remodel. I think that You will see the hot spot for DT Houston will be between the Discovery Green-Houston Pavilions and Toyota Center - Minute Maid Park. There are about 5 surface lots that need destroying and I don't know who owns them but I am certain they won't be around long if HP takes off...In addition, the article in the chronicle today talked about traffic being a nightmare out in the suburbs and I can tell you that inside the loop, traffic is not as bad as it is on Hwy 6 or 1960.

Articles and people who support urban living like to think that traffic and long commutes are gonna drive people to the inner core. It might to a very small extent, but I don't really see it happening. Looks good in print though.

Normally you need to pay a little more for skyline views when you live in apartments... will the apartments facing the park now be more expensive as opposed to the other side which faces into Downtown since it's being built in that location b/c of the park?

713 speaks to my cautions... product placement is one thing but product stability can be tricky. The hope, obviously, is that this isn't a temporary phenomena. That's why I'm plesaed with the city's effort to schedule attractors throughout the first year of the park's existence. By then, Pavillions is open for some length of time, OPP is near or at completion, and maybe there is movement towards a second residential project in the area.

You gotta keep it hot.

what is up with the street closure on Walker for a good portion of the day? Surely they're not going to start dissasembling the crane, are they? or do you think that they might be adding a segment to it instead?

Am I high?

I heard the crane on site had some potentially risky problems they were trying to work around/fix.

Scharpe St Guy

what is up with the street closure on Walker for a good portion of the day? Surely they're not going to start dissasembling the crane, are they? or do you think that they might be adding a segment to it instead?

Am I high?