One Park Place: Multifamily At 1400 McKinney St.

GovernorAggie

Quite a dated design imo. It looks like it was mysteriously transported in time from 1986.

I tend to agree with you.

However, I tend to want to look on the bright side; since Houston's downtown didn't see any major construction from 1985 to the late 1990s, this just might fill that design hole. Maybe it will help future generations forget the BUST.

However, I tend to want to look on the bright side; since Houston's downtown didn't see any major construction from 1985 to the late 1990s, this just might fill that design hole. Maybe it will help future generations forget the BUST.

Well perhaps, but I would still prefer something fresh over re-creating architecture that will look dated from Day 1.

Quite a dated design imo. It looks like it was mysteriously transported in time from 1986.

I like the design even if it's a bit "dated"... since Downtown Houston doesn't really have anything like it. If it weren't overlooking the park I may not like it as much but that really helps.

I like the design even if it's a bit "dated"... since Downtown Houston doesn't really have anything like it. If it weren't overlooking the park I may not like it as much but that really helps.

Yes, it is a classic design and "classy" too. Everyone will want to live there.

I'm not sure that the Wortham merits echoing, but that's another topic. Too bad though, that this couldn't have been built by the Wortham and the Bank of America. That way the city could designate the area as the "1980s Post Modern District" and try to sell it as an architectural tourist destination.

• 2 weeks later...

So I passed by all the the crane action taking place on my way to Spaghetti Warehouse (is that place less laughable than Olive Garden?). I'm not too excited about the design. I would have more respect if it was constructed during it's time to shine, but now it totally loses any charm that would have been had. I mean if they built the Colosseum today in Houston... wouldn't be as spectacular as the real thing right? x_x

That's an interesting perspective though...

"We owe it to the fields that our houses will not be the inferiors of the virgin land they have replaced. We owe it to the worms and the trees that the buildings we cover them with will stand as promises of the highest and most intelligent kinds of happiness."

-Alain de Botton

Edited by flyingman

A couple of questions regarding this photo.

OPPfloors.jpg

What is this process called? It looked like they were moving the makeshift floors from the bottom of the ceiling of each level. Also, what is the name of the material/components shown being raised or moved about here?

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

WOW! Take it down a notch. I simply commented on the posts that I see as OVERLY critical. Like the building is just not 'good enough' for Houston for whatever reason (roof or not glass or 'too 80's'). It's just a building. Most people don't and won't ever care. I personally like it. Flat roofs are so prolific in Houston that a few peaked roofs would be nice. And it is an architecture forum, and I'm participating in the criticism of architecture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...