One Park Place: Multifamily At 1400 McKinney St.

GovernorAggie

They had been expecting a groundbreaking in October or November. Seems like Park Tower got moved back when Pavilions did, supporting my theory.

prior to the latest pr, they never gave an "official" ground breaking date. only said they hope to break ground by the end of the year.

pr from 5/06

"Construction of the Park Tower should begin before the end of the year with completion projected for the fall of 2008."

per the last press release (9/06):

"Groundbreaking for One Park Place is set for January 2007 with occupancy starting in the spring of 2009."

it could have been pushed back for several reasons but i do not anticipate another one.

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I knew this too would not get built. Seems to be the trend in this poorly-led town. ugh.

Just so you're aware, our 'town' doesn't have a leader that masterminds every facet of our existence.

Although, incidentally, it was Mayor White that refused to agree to subsidize the tower on the basis that it'd basically be welfare for the rich. I think he was right to make that call, don't you?

Greater Houston is what we know. Not a metroplex whatever. Greater Houston is undergoing building like crazy. Waterfront is front and center. Woodlands ... no prob. More waterfront. CBD (don't worry) ... this is an area that is waiting 12% vacancy rates and another tower or towers are on the drawing boards. Houston did not become the nation's 4th largest city for "no" reason. We are here. We are growing. We are and will always be "unfinished." That's OK with me. Growth is better than stagnant. In Houston, the glass is half full. That's how we work down here on the bayou. ;)

Greater Houston is what we know. Not a metroplex whatever. Greater Houston is undergoing building like crazy. Waterfront is front and center. Woodlands ... no prob. More waterfront. CBD (don't worry) ... this is an area that is waiting 12% vacancy rates and another tower or towers are on the drawing boards. Houston did not become the nation's 4th largest city for "no" reason. We are here. We are growing. We are and will always be "unfinished." That's OK with me. Growth is better than stagnant. In Houston, the glass is half full. That's how we work down here on the bayou. ;)

Not quite Bluto's speech in 'Animal House', but inspiring nonetheless.

AnimalHouseBluto.jpg

Just so you're aware, our 'town' doesn't have a leader that masterminds every facet of our existence.

Although, incidentally, it was Mayor White that refused to agree to subsidize the tower on the basis that it'd basically be welfare for the rich. I think he was right to make that call, don't you?

I know. We have instead a gang of corrupt and completely incompetent pithecans sitting around stumbling to accomplish even the most minor of tasks. Sekula-Gibbs, the ex-cop-what's-his-name, and others come to mind.

B)

i do give props to marvy for at least trying B)

The address, according to the website http://www.oneparkplacehouston.com/ - Is 1400 McKinney.

The Houston ISD school zoning: Bruce Elementary School, E.O. Smith (for 6 - 8), and Davis High School.

As said elsewhere, the eastern part of Downtown near the stadiums is indeed ripe for redevelopment, thanks to the surface lots.

And don't you know when they announced a 64-story tower over 900 ft. tall for Uptown Houston, there were people who said it would never get built? But it did. Along with lots of 40-story buildings over there. ;)

Different circumstances, so thats irrelevant. The Williams Tower was built in 16 months.

• 3 weeks later...
i heard that finger is about to start construction and has relocated some oak trees..

Yeah, the relocation of the oak trees has been discussed elsewhere on this boarda and was reported in the newspaper. (He donated some for use in Discovery Green and I think relocated others elsewhere in town, IIRC.

Yeah, the relocation of the oak trees has been discussed elsewhere on this boarda and was reported in the newspaper. (He donated some for use in Discovery Green and I think relocated others elsewhere in town, IIRC.

damn tree huggers.

;)

• 1 month later...

I spoke to a rep from One Park Place today... She said ground breaking is still set for the end of the month. An exact date has not been chosen yet. I also ask if she knew anything about HP and the hold-up. She mentioned the hold-up still has something to do with discussions about the condos.

Thanks for the update, Ethanra.

I will pray for the condos to be included in the Pavilions deal. It just makes the overall project so much better.

We need to start getting some critical mass downtown and the Park Place combined with condos/apartments at the Pavilions is a key part of that!

She mentioned the hold-up still has something to do with discussions about the condos.

I bet the city wants some of their $ back since the project has been scaled down.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any information or links regarding the Finger Building that' proposed to be build adjacent to the new Discovery Green park on the east side of Downtown?

What's it going to look like?

How my floors?

Will it be residential?

I've heard talk about a Central Market going in on the first floor.....Anyone know anything about that?

I've heard talk about a Central Market going in on the first floor.....Anyone know anything about that?

You have a source for that?, I'd be interested to know if they are truley going to make another one.

They are really nice inside.

Does anyone have any information or links regarding the Finger Building that' proposed to be build adjacent to the new Discovery Green park on the east side of Downtown?

What's it going to look like?

How my floors?

Will it be residential?

^^^Quoted from duplicate thread.

Finger very much wanted a Whole Foods, Central Market, or something else along those same lines. But the last time I heard about the project from a reliable source was at least 6 to 8 months ago. I don't know how it panned out for them, but I'm keeping my optimism in check. Downtown is an expensive place to locate and still doesn't have a very high nighttime population; the greater barrier, though, is that parking is scarce and/or expensive, and could be a frequent disruptor of business when there are sporting events, concerts, or conventions nearby.

A confirmation from anyone in the know would be very welcomed. Eastwood yuppies frequently complain about the drive to Whole Foods, and anything like this would turn the steady flow of yuppies into an uncontrollable torrent...or at least elevate land values in the area. $$$ > :) $$$

Archived