HAIF - Houston's original social media

chill...shamrock is dead and there are other threads on this forum about hardy and the intermodal station...you just have to look

Im sorry I seemed rude. I just really want to know whats going on. Ive read most of the threads. I just wanted to know if these projects were a definite yes or not. Im just really excited about the possibile Intermodal Station, Hardy Rail Yards and this Park Tower as I see them having a profound impact on Downtown along with the Pavillions. I think they will reshape the way Downtown is developed.

To HoustonianinIraq, thanks for the private message with the help. I appriciate your help.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brasserie Du Parc is open for business. More pictures in the link below.   http://houston.eater.com/2017/1/30/14436692/houston-brasserie-du-parc-opening-photos  

Nate already got it but guess I'll still post it here too.   One Park Place by Marc longoria, on Flickr

Posted Images

Im sorry I seemed rude. I just really want to know whats going on. Ive read most of the threads. I just wanted to know if these projects were a definite yes or not. Im just really excited about the possibile Intermodal Station, Hardy Rail Yards and this Park Tower as I see them having a profound impact on Downtown along with the Pavillions. I think they will reshape the way Downtown is developed.

To HoustonianinIraq, thanks for the private message with the help. I appriciate your help.

Its all good, but I do agree with you. These projects are really going to make differences in the city of Houston and pave the way for tomorrows successes.

chill...shamrock is dead and there are other threads on this forum about hardy and the intermodal station...you just have to look

you couldve Cut the kid some slack, he is a new member. -_-

I don't see them lining the roof with Christmas lights on this one. I think lighting that shoots upward from the base of the roof along the roof would be very good.

if they stick those raggedy christmas light buildings on one more of houston's buildings, i'm gonna snap! They already have too many buildings in downtown that have christmas lights around the rooftops.

i personally don't think they will light this building based on the track record. if they do, i hope they use the flood lighting which illuminates the side of the building

Edited by tierwestah

I wasnt trying to be rude at all, but you cant really tell over the computer.

I dont see christmas lights or anything tacky 'light-wise' on this building, more likely none at all if they are trying to go with the New York style. Its got simple elegance and it seems that they want to keep it a simple building and not make it greedy for attention. However, I dont think that flood lighting would be too bad at all.

Edited by brijonmang
I love it. But where are the, but "Houston is just trying to be like New York" people?

Like it was mentioned before.....Don't really care as long as it happens and brings some much needed resident to Downtown.

That's all that really matters > :)

Uncle Klem [in Redneck Voice]: "Well I'll be darned. TV's outside and toilets inside. Yee haw!"

SpaceCity: "Yes, but look at these high rise apartments overlooking a large inter-city park."

Uncle Klem: "I'll be horned swaggled! This is NEW YORK!"

Edited by SpaceCity
Well it seems to be the same rendering released for the park, except that the Finger building actually has detail. So my guess is that it was by Finger.

Also here is the article in the Chronicle. I don't think I saw anyone else post it.

aa33vt.jpg

I wounder after this gets built which location will get more business from the tenants at this building the Park Shops next door to the building or the Pavilions?

I wounder after this gets built which location will get more business from the tenants at this building the Park Shops next door to the building or the Pavilions?

Probibly the Pavillions. I doubt the Park Shops will take away anything, atleast in shopping. With the Ninfas and Starbucks, they could draw the eyes of the residents, but the Pavillions will provide more. Unless, the park shops gets some more tenants.

Probibly the Pavillions. I doubt the Park Shops will take away anything, atleast in shopping. With the Ninfas and Starbucks, they could draw the eyes of the residents, but the Pavillions will provide more. Unless, the park shops gets some more tenants.

the park shops are nothing more than an glorifed food court. It always has been that way and probably will remain. I find it hard to believe that the pavillion will happen. There just seems to be little demand for retail downtown outside of food service.

the park shops are nothing more than an glorifed food court. It always has been that way and probably will remain. I find it hard to believe that the pavillion will happen. There just seems to be little demand for retail downtown outside of food service.

Well I have no doubt that is true... I don't think a Bloomingdale's, GAP, or Louis Vuitton would open up shop at any retail spot Downtown. The Parkshops mainly serve the Houston Center/Four Seasons. I'm surprised the place didn't go bust years ago. But if you build a 3 block retail/mixed use project, next to the light rail, it gives much better hope for retail shops to open up in the project. House of Blues = People, People = Money, money to spend in their shops. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i did a quick search for the thread but was unable to find it. might as well update it here...

from a source that i consider extremely reliable, especially for this deal, the downtown park will have a ground breaking in august of this year. there could be a setback but they are moving forward without a doubt.

additionally, they will have a city-wide naming contest for the park.

finally, and more on topic, fingers deal will break ground shortly after the park does. finger has the option to purchase / lease adjacent land and will if phase 1 performs well. it will not be named the park tower because of a conflict with an existing building with the same name.

this message will self destruct in 5....4....

Housekeeping note: there were a number of posts about the new park, as opposed to the adjacent Finger project, so I moved them into the New Downtown Park thread to keep it from getting too confusing.

What about my posts about the Park Tower? They're gone :(

• 1 month later...
Does anybody out there on the inside have anything newsworthy about this building? It's been a while since anything has surfaced...

Nothing to speak of on my end.

They've already secured a lease for the land, and although they probably have some clause that would release them from it under certain circumstances (i.e. cash penalty), it seems like they went in with guns-a-blazin'. Finger is a big company. They may not come out ahead, but they'll probably come through.

As I recall, groundbreaking was going to occur about the time that the park broke ground, right? If I were a lender, I'd be hesitant to disburse cash until the existence of the park was irrevocably decided (i.e. under construction). After all, if oil went bust tomorrow, what would the City immediately cut back on?

i did a quick search for the thread but was unable to find it. might as well update it here...

from a source that i consider extremely reliable, especially for this deal, the downtown park will have a ground breaking in august of this year. there could be a setback but they are moving forward without a doubt.

finally, and more on topic, fingers deal will break ground shortly after the park does. finger has the option to purchase / lease adjacent land and will if phase 1 performs well. it will not be named the park tower because of a conflict with an existing building with the same name.

looks like it may get pushed back to the original groundbreaking timeline of october; however, they are busting their tails to get it done sooner. once they break ground on the park, finger will start construction.

based upon my sources, both will, without a doubt in my mind, happen.

• 1 month later...
A new press release was published yesterday - it seems the name has been changed to One Park Place:

http://www.oneparkplacehouston.com/docs/02_PressRelease.pdf

This really will be a great development for downtown.

Cool thanks for the link

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

muwahahahaha!

:ph34r:

The new website states that One Park Place will be 501 feet tall. That will make a nice addition to the eastside of downtown.

The best news is that this project will include over 26,000 square feet of retail space including 18,000 plus square feet for a specialty food and wine market.

If Finger Development builds a second tower and LandCo goes ahead and builds their rumored 17 story condo tower, this could be quite the bustling little area. Don't forget the condos planned for the Pavilions will be nearby too.

Hooray for good news!

And let's not worry.... Houston does not and will not not be like New York. New York is overpopulated and basically gross. Houston is far more laid back and because we will welcome a new downtown park, doesn't mean we will be anything like a Yankee NY. (thank the gods). Besides, the Bayou City is far more charming than the over-crowded, taxi honking, PATHETIC New York. Kudos to the Bayou City. We rule and always will. ;)

And let's not worry.... Houston does not and will not not be like New York. New York is overpopulated and basically gross. Houston is far more laid back and because we will welcome a new downtown park, doesn't mean we will be anything like a Yankee NY. (thank the gods). Besides, the Bayou City is far more charming than the over-crowded, taxi honking, PATHETIC New York. Kudos to the Bayou City. We rule and always will. ;)

i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who doesn't like NYC. it's a great place to visit. i couldn't stand living there. it's claustrophobic, dirty, loud. i'm glad houston will not, cannot, be like NYC.

Let's not bash on NYC, a great town with can in no way be compared to Houston. Let's get back on track, this is a thread about the Park Tower.

Of course no one in New York would dis Houston :wacko::wacko::wacko:

I'm excited, as any proud Houstonian would be, that we will have a beautiful downtown park with a brand new residential highrise approximately 501 feet tall. That isn't even considering Houston Pavilions. Life is good. And who would want to compare the Big Apple (loud, confining and rude) with H-town? Not me. B)

Edited by houstonfella
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you are jealous or insecure or just afraid of what you don't understand but I think we as Houstonians should have more class than to go with the "bash New York City" card.

There are many valuable lessons (both good and bad) to learned from the growth and development of New York City. I can tell you that New York City has something that Houstonians "hope" one day to have - A CULTURE that's distinctly their OWN- one that New Yorkers can identify themselves with and one they are VERY proud of. A culture and spirit that the WHOLE WORLD knows.

As much as I hate to admit it but due to our many mistakes of the past Houston is devoid of culture and was re-organized as a prototypical sunbelt city that erased it's past and early charms and is now scurrying to create a new one.

You may bash New York City but I can tell you the average New Yorker has no OPINION of Houston, Texas - I know that for a fact. They just don't have any desire to care. And as long as we have backward, red neck, minor league aspirations we will continue to be held in so low esteem. People don't make arrangements to visit Houston because it's a charming place -they visit Houston because they have to.

I am a native Houston, and will devote my life to giving Houston some semblage of culture but I don't want to get it by constantly comparing ourselves to others. We need to be and act and consider what is the best action to acheive the 'big picture' and hopefully, if we think this out and make smart decisions- Houston will someday be a magical, charming place. A place that it's citizen's identify with and are proud of and a place where others would dream to visit.

....but in all honesty- we are far from that reality, but we are moving in the right direction and that is all we can do.

Edited by shasta
IAs much as I hate to admit it but due to our many mistakes of the past Houston is devoid of culture

Define culture

You may bash New York City but I can tell you the average New Yorker has no OPINION of Houston, Texas - I know that for a fact.

State your fact. What is it?

Edited by nmainguy

As much as I hate to admit it but due to our many mistakes of the past Houston is devoid of culture

Define culture:

I'm talking about how it pertains to the city form and how the brand 'Houston Culture' defines itself and the opportunities we COULD HAVE HAD. I'm not saying Houston doesn't have Culture because it does (and it should be proud) but it doesn't translate into our current city form.

Most of it's early qualities have been erased- downtown used to be the true center of the city a dense mixture of residential/ business/ and entertainment. Gone is the German District of downtown- erased is their contribution whereas New York managed to preserve it's early history- Little Italy district is one of the many examples. Today we are desperately praying that the surface lots of downtown will be redeveloped- there used to be unique buildings on those lots- do a little research you can find them.

Many of the downtown festivals have vanished- We no longer have the ceremonial No-Tsu-Oh festival which used to be the biggest event of Houston culture and one the city identified itself with. New York has managed to preserve it's festivals and traditions. We do have the Rodeo and I really don't care what the rest of the country thinks but I'm glad we are continuing that tradition.

The commuter rail to Galveston that many downtown residents would catch at Union Station was replaced by I-45. Downtown residents no longer have the option of walking to the station to spend a 'afternoon at the beach' and catching a train to be back in time for dinner.

The street cars that used to connect downtown to the 'street car' suburbs of Montrose and the Heights are gone.

The Heights and Montrose have re-created themselves as 'cultural districts' and are among the ones trying to resist total turn-over as but not as they were originally planned.

These are all experiences (plus many more) that citizens remember as defining the cuture of the city. I honestly believe that the new downtown park with the other addtions is going to help GREATLY in creating a sense of place. People will have memories of these activities and and they will be engraved as relating to Houston culture just as going to Coney Island or a Yankees game is for New Yorkers.

You may bash New York City but I can tell you the average New Yorker has no OPINION of Houston, Texas - I know that for a fact.

State your fact. What is it?

I've been to New York many times and always talk up Houston, it's progress and it's good qualities. Most don't really care about Houston -they have NO mental image of it. Maybe this is beacause we haven't created one for them- what....freeways, unplanned development, lack of mixed use districts????

You may bash New York City but I can tell you the average New Yorker has no OPINION of Houston, Texas - I know that for a fact. They just don't have any desire to care. And as long as we have backward, red neck, minor league aspirations we will continue to be held in so low esteem. People don't make arrangements to visit Houston because it's a charming place -they visit Houston because they have to.

two new yorkers i know just recently bought a condo in houston's museum district because they love to visit here so often. friends from california to the east coast adore houston. they get it. they understand our UNIQUE CULTURE. we are quirky, tolerant, diverse, creative. we are not compact. this is the main reason out of towners can't get their brains around houston culture. it IS ashame that many of us want to measure ouselves against new york city. we are not and will never be new york city.

i know several new yorkers who have very positive opinions of houston. to say that new yorkers have NO OPINION of houston is to admit that you don't know very many new yorkers. any respectable wall street investor knows EXACTLY where houston is and what it's about.

i loathe NYC and i dread each time i have to go there. i'd choose houston hands down.

Most of it's early qualities have been erased- downtown used to be the true center of the city a dense mixture of residential/ business/ and entertainment. Gone is the German District of downtown- erased is their contribution whereas New York managed to preserve it's early history- Little Italy district is one of the many examples. Today we are desperately praying that the surface lots of downtown will be redeveloped- there used to be unique buildings on those lots- do a little research you can find them.

Many of the downtown festivals have vanished- We no longer have the ceremonial No-Tsu-Oh festival which used to be the biggest event of Houston culture and one the city identified itself with. New York has managed to preserve it's festivals and traditions. We do have the Rodeo and I really don't care what the rest of the country thinks but I'm glad we are continuing that tradition.

The commuter rail to Galveston that many downtown residents would catch at Union Station was replaced by I-45. Downtown residents no longer have the option of walking to the station to spend a 'afternoon at the beach' and catching a train to be back in time for dinner.

The street cars that used to connect downtown to the 'street car' suburbs of Montrose and the Heights are gone.

The Heights and Montrose have re-created themselves as 'cultural districts' and are among the ones trying to resist total turn-over as but not as they were originally planned.

What was will never be again. Live always for the present.

I've been to New York many times and always talk up Houston, it's progress and it's good qualities. Most don't really care about Houston -they have NO mental image of it. Maybe this is beacause we haven't created one for them- what....freeways, unplanned development, lack of mixed use districts????

Why should we be concerned about creating a city for non-residents? Live always for yourself.

I'm talking about how it pertains to the city form and how the brand 'Houston Culture' defines itself and the opportunities we COULD HAVE HAD. I'm not saying Houston doesn't have Culture because it

... Blah blah blah blah blah...

but I can tell you the average New Yorker has no OPINION of Houston, Texas - I know that for a fact.

Your statements are pointless. Houston doesn't want to be like New York. Not every city does. So just because we didn't preserve this or save that, that makes us not great?

boo hoo. nNot every great city must follow the footsteps of another, "go against the grain", be innovative. And might I add not every city wants to be like NY. So get over it, and yourself. the end.

How are we going against the grain in Houston?

Most of what gets built in Houston IS THE GRAIN.

Drive-thru CVS...

Strip Malls galore...

Cookie Cutter KB Homes communites that sprout up like mushrooms...

And we are STILL destroying what little history we have left to build surface parking lots downtown or a possible Borders in River Oaks.

Big Whoop. That is anytown U.S.A.

The only thing that makes Houston unique is that we allow these things to be built in the CENTER of our city on property that has so much more potential.

Now, it isn't all doom and gloom. The first light rail line, Main Street Square, the new dowtown park and the potential of the Buffalo Bayou are all steps in the right direction. The blue bayou thing is totally cool and completely unique. I love that.