One Park Place: Multifamily At 1400 McKinney St.

GovernorAggie

Right now, though, I don't see the Pavilions staying open past business hours. I also don't see Disco Green as a place anyone would want to be at night (right now).

If this is successful, then downtown will reach the ultimate tipping point. If not, then we'll still have a long way to go. I'm optimistic.

"DISCO GREEN?" OMG *THAT* is funny!

I can see it now.

"Hey bob, want to go to the Disco to have a jog in the park or do you wanna eat?"

"Nah, I wanna boogie at the Howl instead."

makes me wonder if people will refer to the park or the tower as "The Disco." I wonder if some putz in the tower will install a small mirrored ball on their desk as joke.

ANYWAY...

I'm quite optimistic that the park (Disco Green), would probably be used early in the morning and late into the night as long as there is proper security. You would be amazed how many joggers there are that stay at the hotels. And speaking of hotels; Americas, Four seasons, and Inn at the Ballpark would add some traffic to some of the eating establishments there since they're relatively isolated there.

Right now, though, I don't see the Pavilions staying open past business hours. I also don't see Disco Green as a place anyone would want to be at night (right now).

I'm optimistic.

Those don't strike me as the words of an optimist ;-) I am quite certain the Pavilions will indeed be staying open "past business hours" and I'm also very comfortable that Discovery Green will be well lit, well secured, and active, such that people will want to be there at night (obviously, not "right now"; it's a construction site "right now").

But I do agree One Park Place may be more important for downtown's future development than any of the proposed office towers, as exciting as they are.

Those don't strike me as the words of an optimist ;-) I am quite certain the Pavilions will indeed be staying open "past business hours" and I'm also very comfortable that Discovery Green will be well lit, well secured, and active, such that people will want to be there at night (obviously, not "right now"; it's a construction site "right now").

But I do agree One Park Place may be more important for downtown's future development than any of the proposed office towers, as exciting as they are.

The Pavilions better be open after business hours / on weekends, or else I'll never be able to go there. :( Same with everybody who doesn't work downtown. Any idea what hours of the Denver Pavilions are open?

Out of curiosity, what are the hours of the new shoe store in the area (the Tipping Point?)? Are they only open during business hours?

i second that. house of blues, lucky strike, McCormick & Schmick's and Red Cat Jazz Cafe are not establishments that will be closing at 6pm. with increasing residential and commercial activity, conventions, professional sports, concerts and tourism, the nature of activity in downtown will forever change.

Edited by bachanon

I'm sure they will provide extra security, but I still don't see anyone driving downtown to go for a jog in the park on a weeknight. I guess people wil stick around after work, though.

Hopefully the Pavilions will really draw people in. I want this to work, and it will in the long run I'm sure, but I think if we want to see quick results to really improve life downtown it will all depend on the success of One Park Place.

I'm sure they will provide extra security, but I still don't see anyone driving downtown to go for a jog in the park on a weeknight. I guess people wil stick around after work, though. Hopefully the Pavilions will really draw people in. I want this to work, and it will in the long run I'm sure, but I think if we want to see quick results to really improve life downtown it will all depend on the success of One Park Place.
Of course, there will be a lot more to do than just go for a jog in the park. There will be 2 restaurants, dog park area, fountains, amphitheater, etc etc etc, and another key... programming; meaning there will be activities planned in the park routinely e.g. performers in the amphitheater, art fairs, farmers markets, etc etc. etc. And you're right, most people will not drive downtown on a weeknight for most of that. But of course, we don't need most people to do so. It only takes a few dozen people to create enough activity for it to feel safe. Secondly, that number of people can easily be accumulated from people staying downtown after work, people staying in nearby hotels, people coming downtown for a baseball game or basketball game or hockey game or home & garden show at the GRB, or any number of other events, or to go to one of the restaurants either in the park or nearby. The success of One Park Place will of course help, but I don't think the success of Discovery Green depends on the success of One Park Place. Edited by Houston19514

One thing for sure is that people staying in hotels in Houston on the weekend have absolutely nothing to do right now. A friend of my sister's came to town for the marathon, and I told her downtown would be happening on the marathon weekend because there would be a lot of people in town for it. Boy was I wrong. She walked around, was chased by a crazy homeless lady, and then called me to drive her to the galleria.

Hopefully, some of the people staying in the hotels wold hang out at the park/pavilions, like Houston19514 said.

We need to take car of the homeless problem.

What? Get rid of them by driving them around? :)

Jax: With my clients, I usually give them a list of things things they could do in the evenings (Bossa, Flying Saucer, etc), but during the day, I always advise them to go to the Galleria or various shopping destinations around town (Rice Village, Montrose, etc). On weekends in downtown, it's dead, particularly during the day.

Once HP is complete, I still don't see any action during the daytime until there is enough business to justify it. I see their hours starting at 10am for the bowling lanes.

If they're smart, HOB, and any other clubs/restaurants would remain open during at least the lunch crowd, or for those that are playing hookey.

What? Get rid of them by driving them around? :)

Jax: With my clients, I usually give them a list of things things they could do in the evenings (Bossa, Flying Saucer, etc), but during the day, I always advise them to go to the Galleria or various shopping destinations around town (Rice Village, Montrose, etc). On weekends in downtown, it's dead, particularly during the day.

Once HP is complete, I still don't see any action during the daytime until there is enough business to justify it. I see their hours starting at 10am for the bowling lanes.

If they're smart, HOB, and any other clubs/restaurants would remain open during at least the lunch crowd, or for those that are playing hookey.

Remember... not everyone, including myself, works M-F 8-5. ;)

One park place is supposed to be 500 feet tall, but the crane looks like it's much shorter than 5 Houston Center (maybe 3/4 height) which is only 375 feet tall. Has anybody else noticed this? Is it some sort of optical illusion, or will they install a new crane when they get to that height?

One park place is supposed to be 500 feet tall, but the crane looks like it's much shorter than 5 Houston Center (maybe 3/4 height) which is only 375 feet tall. Has anybody else noticed this? Is it some sort of optical illusion, or will they install a new crane when they get to that height?

They'll jack it up and add a new segment to give it the proper boost.

Cool, thanks for the info! I had no idea how that worked, but I guess that makes sense. Otherwise it would be pretty much impossible to assemble / disassemble one of those things up to those heights. I'm glad they didn't decide to make it less tall!

• 1 month later...

Yesterday when I was on my roof I could just barely see that white thing sticking out of the top of it in the first photo (what is that by the way?). So after another story or two it will start to appear in the skyline from where I live.

Edited by Jax

Yesterday when I was on my roof I could just barely see that white thing sticking out of the top of it in the first photo (what is that by the way?). So after another story or two it will start to appear in the skyline from where I live.

that's what they use to pump the concrete onto the floor. It's the first one that I've seen designed like that, but I guess they are used regularly on higher projects. Just haven't been able to figure out if they dump the wet concrete in that device or if it pumps it up from the lower floors. I've been curious about that device for quite some time as far as the design of it.