One Park Place: Multifamily At 1400 McKinney St.

GovernorAggie

They were putting up the crane for one Park place, and they were doing some serious lifting on top of one of the buildings.

One of the closures: They were putting transformers on top of 2 Shell. Crane was on the ground around 6pm Sat night, taking it down.

This seems to be more the norm than the exception. It boggles my mind that developers pour millions into projects, yet cannot find funds to hire a high school graduate to proofread their copy.

In their defense, I was sent a correction email--shortly after posting it here, I might add. Are we being watched? :ph34r:

For the residents that can afford these prices they are going to want balconies to view the new Discovery Green park with. Houston House, 2016 Main and Museum Tower have balconies and I don't think they detract from the overall design.

Amen, I am considering a lease. If I move in, I want to be able to sit on the balcony and watch the City fly by.

I think the design is appropriate. Someone used the adjective "stately". I would agree. As a residential building I prefer clean lines, understated elegance and symmetry.

Maybe we can put your spy camera to work on the twin projects on Kirby (Kirby @ Westheimer, 2727 Kirby).

Yeah, at least we know this one is on its way.

About the balconies - I lived at the Houston House in 1983. I loved the balconies. Great getting out there in the afternoons, whenever. Lots of times I'd leave the sliding glass doors open and you wouldn't believe it, but at 23 floors, no mosquitoes. To me a balcony is about highrise living.

Yeah, at least we know this one is on its way.

About the balconies - I lived at the Houston House in 1983. I loved the balconies. Great getting out there in the afternoons, whenever. Lots of times I'd leave the sliding glass doors open and you wouldn't believe it, but at 23 floors, no mosquitoes. To me a balcony is about highrise living.

And very decent breezes even in the summer. Helps with the potentially enormous electric bill.

:D m.

Heard an interesting story this weekend from a friend that works for the firm doing the Park Tower.

He said that the original design was quite different - lots of glass on the exterior, much less brick, overall looked much more modern and less like NYC classical residential.

They were actually about 25% the way into the construction documents when Mr Fingers himself decided he hated it and wanted pretty much a complete do-over on the exterior. Where he was during design development, why his people below him were okay'ing this more modern design and why he changed his mind so late in the process, I don't know.

Just goes to show, you can have a great firm that does great work.. but ultimately, they're at the mercy of the guy paying the bills.

Edited by Highway6

I'm more curious about this conversation on this. I know you can't give too much away, but what was the initial reaction from the staff, and did you happen to bring up the general consensus on this forum about the appearance?

I'm more curious about this conversation on this. I know you can't give too much away, but what was the initial reaction from the staff, and did you happen to bring up the general consensus on this forum about the appearance?

No firm is going to like such drastic changes the later in the process that it gets.

From the final product standpoint..there was dissapointment, but it was tempered.. He agreed with me in that, it's okay, and probably would end up looking quite nice next to the park, but.. for him, and I assume the others there on the design team.. they're always going to know what could have been there in it's place.

But this is how it works. Clients are a necessary evil. Not just in architecture. Those knowledgeable in their craft or field always having to surrender final decisions to the clients that pay them.

Edited by Highway6

That is rather true, but to be honest, I'm not thrilled with just a typical "Glass tower", unless it's something so out there that it will be recognized around the world.

The reason why I'm not overly fond of glass towers (even though quite a few of them can be incredibly beautiful) is because of the reflections and city heating. But that's just me.

Heard an interesting story this weekend from a friend that works for the firm doing the Park Tower.

He said that the original design was quite different - lots of glass on the exterior, much less brick, overall looked much more modern and less like NYC classical residential.

They were actually about 25% the way into the construction documents when Mr Fingers himself decided he hated it and wanted pretty much a complete do-over on the exterior. Where he was during design development, why his people below him were okay'ing this more modern design and why he changed his mind so late in the process, I don't know.

Just goes to show, you can have a great firm that does great work.. but ultimately, they're at the mercy of the guy paying the bills.

Is this about the Finger tower above the park, or Discovery Tower? Do we have a rendering for the DT yet? I haven't seen it.

Oops.. i posted in the wrong thread.. this is the Fingers Park tower.. not the discvery tower.

Marvy changed the design to a NYC theme to accomodate the kind of tenants that are disproportionately attracted to highrise living. It was a business decision, pure and simple.

Btw, can we get a moderator to fix this?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had noticed some signs behind the Four Seasons hotel today on the Dallas side, the signs said, "3 lanes of Austin to be closed" and it gave a date (which escapes me, but I think it was for a couple of weeks) on when it's to be closed. Does this have to do with the Park Tower construction?

• 3 weeks later...
Nice photo, thanks for the update. I wonder how the park is coming along across the street...

It (the park) is the furthest along of these three projects.. unfortunatey, where I was, I couldnt get any pictures of it.

Edited by Highway6

• 4 weeks later...