Storm Surge Data

TheNiche

Is anybody familiar with a comprehensive data source for historical storm surge heights, particularly in the Houston/Galveston Bay area, but also generally along the Gulf Coast.

The home that I'm trying to close on is at 26 feet elevation, five feet fewer than what the owner had stated, and I know that the worst storm surge ever in the U.S. was about 32 feet in Bay Saint Louis, MS from Katrina, but I also know that that is atypical. Unfortunately, every news report that I pull up presents me with atypical worst-case storm surge data.

What I'm shooting for is a rough idea of the realistic probablility that storm surge will be greater than 26 feet in Galveston Bay in any given year.

Is anybody familiar with a comprehensive data source for historical storm surge heights, particularly in the Houston/Galveston Bay area, but also generally along the Gulf Coast.

The home that I'm trying to close on is at 26 feet elevation, five feet fewer than what the owner had stated, and I know that the worst storm surge ever in the U.S. was about 32 feet in Bay Saint Louis, MS from Katrina, but I also know that that is atypical. Unfortunately, every news report that I pull up presents me with atypical worst-case storm surge data.

What I'm shooting for is a rough idea of the realistic probablility that storm surge will be greater than 26 feet in Galveston Bay in any given year.

The age of the home and the surrounding homes in the area may be an indication of atleast if a storm surge that high has occurred recently 10-25yrs or so.......some if not all may not be there now............

The age of the home and the surrounding homes in the area may be an indication of atleast if a storm surge that high has occurred recently 10-25yrs or so.......some if not all may not be there now............

According to the Appraisal Department, it was built in 1950, but the owners claim that it is among the oldest homes in the city. Of course, we know how accurate their information has been so far... Still, they claim that the local historical society can back them up. I'm betting that HCAD is indeed off the mark, but have a hunch that it'd date back to the 30's.

The one across the street was built in the 1910's and a gorgeous mansion that was just recently demolished :angry: on the other side of the street fronting the bay had been built in 1900. Several others along the bay are listed as having been built between 1900 and 1920, as per MLS. Curiously, I can't find records of any homes existing prior to 1900... According to census statistics, about half of the 100 (+ or -) homes in Morgan's Point were built prior to 1960 and the largest group of them, about a third, were built "prior to 1939".

One little problem: SUBSIDENCE. The area sunk by about 5 to 6 feet during the 20th century, so we haven't exactly had many opportunities to test the neighborhood against a Cat 4/5 storm. Moreover, getting flooded out would also be bad even if the home isn't swept away, potentially leaving a mud-caked first floor full of water moccasins and petrochemical residue. It wouldn't be so enormously disruptive if it weren't that so many other people would be much worse off, and finding a supply of labor to clean it up (or restore local electricity/water/etc.) would be next to impossible for probably weeks or months.

Galveston requires the finished floor of new homes located adjacent to water to be 1 to 3 feet above the historical high storm surge. The highest storm surge on the west end was 16 or 17 feet. Assuming that the finished floor is 26 feet above ground, as opposed to 26 feet above sea level, I would be comfortable as far as storm surges go.

Ask the neighbors.

Galveston requires the finished floor of new homes located adjacent to water to be 1 to 3 feet above the historical high storm surge. The highest storm surge on the west end was 16 or 17 feet. Assuming that the finished floor is 26 feet above ground, as opposed to 26 feet above sea level, I would be comfortable as far as storm surges go.

Ask the neighbors.

Well that's good to know. I hope the lender's insurance requirements turn out to be as reasonable.

Archived