BLVD Place Mixed-Use: 1700 Post Oak Blvd & Upcoming Development At 1800 Post Oak Blvd.

Subdude

I was recently told that the Courtyard At St. James' Place wedding venue (map http://bit.ly/Z1N2nt) would be closing later this year to be torn down to make way for a high rise. At first I thought it might be one of the residential towers in BLVD Place, but looking at the map, it's a decent distance outside of the property. Has anyone heard anything about what might be going there? Apologies if there is already a thread or something, I couldn't remember anything about that location.

I was recently told that the Courtyard At St. James' Place wedding venue (map http://bit.ly/Z1N2nt) would be closing later this year to be torn down to make way for a high rise. At first I thought it might be one of the residential towers in BLVD Place, but looking at the map, it's a decent distance outside of the property. Has anyone heard anything about what might be going there? Apologies if there is already a thread or something, I couldn't remember anything about that location.

I had it on my google map, but a slightly different location, so maybe this is a different project. Here is the link I had. Same or different? http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2012/07/old-art-institute-building-to-be-razed-for-luxury-apartments/

I had it on my google map, but a slightly different location, so maybe this is a different project. Here is the link I had. Same or different? http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2012/07/old-art-institute-building-to-be-razed-for-luxury-apartments/

It's really close, but it's actually just inside the bend on St. James' Place (street). It could be the same property if it's a really huge apartment complex, but that seems unlikely. It's possible I just received bad info. We'll see what happens.

Which shopping centers are for sale ?

None of them are, but they are both suburban style shopping centers on a lot of prime land on Post Oak. Eventually both will be bought up, demolished, and replaced with much higher density urban fill. What I'm guessing ChrisPHous is talking about is which will go first.

Personally, I hope the Westheimer one, for the simple selfish reason that anything that gets built over the San Felipe one will block my view. ;) 

I'll vote San Felipe.  The one over there is just waiting to die.  Swing by and check out the business at the Rice Epicurean... I'll spoil the surprise and say it's underwhelming.  Also, except for the Chase bank (as noted in the West Loop thread... one of about 7 banks inside one mile along San Felipe), it's pretty much a dead zone.

I always found it interesting that the shopping center property (directly across Post Oak from the BLVD Place development) was for sale and purchased around the same time as the BLVD Place property. However, instead of redeveloping the property they simply chose to remodel the shopping center. Unfortunately I think that means that suburban shopping center will still be around for a whle.

If that shopping center, the large shopping center at the corner of Westheimer & Post Oak with Gallery furniture as a tenant, and the one across Post Oak from it with the Old Navy as a tenant were all redeveloped into high density mixed use developments it would have a huge impact on the Uptown area.

I'll vote San Felipe.  The one over there is just waiting to die.  Swing by and check out the business at the Rice Epicurean... I'll spoil the surprise and say it's underwhelming.  Also, except for the Chase bank (as noted in the West Loop thread... one of about 7 banks inside one mile along San Felipe), it's pretty much a dead zone.

That Rice is dead because it's closing and being replaced by a different store.

Some shots from today:
DSC_0725_zps84010492.jpg

DSC_0726_zpse7545887.jpg

DSC_0727_zps199a8582.jpg

DSC_0728_zps06844fbc.jpg

DSC_0733_zps4dec4a0d.jpg

Some concrete pillars have been placed in the Hanover tower:
DSC_0671-1_zps6ac1a200.jpg

DSC_0729_zpsfd7936bc.jpg

And that most certainly is the base of the tower crane:
DSC_0731_zps0f9e1eac.jpg

These guys were out drilling something in the field that will eventually be the Apache tower today:
DSC_0723_zpse0ff1a90.jpg
Currently, there's now what looks like a small pvc pipe with a bit of ribbon around it poking out of the ground there.

• Like 3

How big is Apache Tower supposed to be? 30 stories?

So far the only information I've seen about it is on the BLVD Place site map where it calls it a "33-story office tower." I suspect we won't hear more for a while. Last I heard, Apache's lease next door at Post Oak Central is up in 2018, so working back from that as an end date for construction, and a tower of that size taking around 2-3 years to build, that gives a start date around 2015-2016, so we might not hear anything concrete until next year or later.

3/2/2013 Update:  New steel & a new crane.

IMG_1766_zpse5b262b8.jpg

IMG_1765_zps508b4f07.jpg

Forgive my ignorance but have we confirmed if there are two or one residential towers currently being constructed because it looks there's two in the right hand corner.