Is there going to be a Whole Foods inside Blvd place? Isn't there already a Whole Foods just a block or two away?

I think the closest one is on Woodway near Voss. This whole foods will work but is kinda unnecessary since there is Rice across the street, Randalls a block away, and Kroger further down San Felipe.

It is pedestrian friendly. It's just a small strip of parking. I believe it's because of the restrictions against building too close to the properly line along major roads.

Not true. If the developer had wanted to develop to the sidewalk, aka zero lot line, it could have. The developer caved under pressure from some of the retailers, especially Whole Foods. It's a shame. Such a great-looking and permanent-looking project except the dang parking strip in front. Too bad.

Edited by largeTEXAS

Not true. If the developer had wanted to develop to the sidewalk, aka zero lot line, it could have. The developer caved under pressure from some of the retailers, especially Whole Foods. It's a shame. Such a great-looking and permanent-looking project except the dang parking strip in front. Too bad.

I agree, Why did they not put it up to the street? You would think that with the rail eventually going through and with other mixed use developments like the BBVA Compass Bank development down the street going up that they would want to make it pedestrian friendly.

I agree, Why did they not put it up to the street? You would think that with the rail eventually going through and with other mixed use developments like the BBVA Compass Bank development down the street going up that they would want to make it pedestrian friendly.

b/c we're in houston and the automobile rules all.

Just speculating, but could they be anticipating some property takings when the rail line is built?

There is a law that you can't build within 15 feet of the property line along a major road. That's the reason the Perennial Post Oak development two lots down from BLVD Place filed a variance request: so they could build 1 foot from the property line and not 15 feet.

There is a law that you can't build within 15 feet of the property line along a major road. That's the reason the Perennial Post Oak development two lots down from BLVD Place filed a variance request: so they could build 1 foot from the property line and not 15 feet.

Exactly, that's all - a variance request. Had Wulfe wanted to built to the curb, he could have, almost without resistance. No one in the city would have protested. A development of this quality and scale should not be allowed to add a row of parking in the front. Houston needs to get its act together.

• Like 5

Exactly, that's all - a variance request. Had Wulfe wanted to built to the curb, he could have, almost without resistance. No one in the city would have protested. A development of this quality and scale should not be allowed to add a row of parking in the front. Houston needs to get its act together.

I think we all agree it would have been simple to get a variance approved, however I firmly disagree that putting a row of parking, "should not be allowed." Having a row of parking is neither right or wrong. Better or worse is up for debate as it's opinion.

• Like 1

It's psychological. The apron parking desgin is a conditioned response for drivers that says "hey! come over here!"

Given the current speed limit on Post Oak Blvd a setback is necessary for greater signage cognition. A zero lot line design would dispostiion many motorists to circling the block. In effect a pedestrian design would turn away paying customers. So let's not kind ourselves into thinking the super block master planning of the Galleria area can be hammered into pedestiran scale density overnight. Post Oak Blvd needs to develop as a linear corridor first before it can re-reoute or grade level separate it's modes of transport.

• Like 2

This project is in a suburban business district, in Uptown Houston. It's not downtown, Greenway Plaza, nor Texas Medical Center and its outside the loop. Although I would like to see less parking lots between sidewalks and storefronts and more garages or parking lots behind the shops, it wont be taking place in Uptown. Uptown is primarily suburban, you know it and Houston knows it.

I do like this project though, I'd support shopping there over the Galleria if I were to be in the neighborhood to shop.

This project is in a suburban business district, in Uptown Houston. It's not downtown, Greenway Plaza, nor Texas Medical Center and its outside the loop. Although I would like to see less parking lots between sidewalks and storefronts and more garages or parking lots behind the shops, it wont be taking place in Uptown. Uptown is primarily suburban, you know it and Houston knows it.

I do like this project though, I'd support shopping there over the Galleria if I were to be in the neighborhood to shop.

But you have to admit the Galleria/Westheimer area is not your typical "suburban" area; it's not even close to say, Katy. It's more urban than most places inside the loop, wouldn't you say?

Good evening all!

After trawling this forum for 2 (?) years I'm happy to have something to add. They have now put up a chain-link fence and black semi-transparent material around the entire San Felipe / Post Oak / S Post Oak Blvd Lane site. The fence has been up about a week. There were several fine gentlemen out this afternoon doing various ground level activities with a backhoe. While I am not ready to announce that the site is "under construction", this is a significant step away from the grass field that we have all enjoyed for the last few years.

I'm looking forward to future growth in the area. Have a great night.

• Like 2

Hello HAIF community! I'm very new to this site and am quite thrilled to find there are so many enthusiasts regarding urban development. I know this question has probably been answered, but is that really cool looking high rise that's depicted in the photo gallery still going to be built?

• 2 weeks later...

If the Ritz Carlton hotel and condo tower and the Hanover luxury apartment tower are both gone then essentially all that is being done is replacing an older strip mall and mall with a fancier new one.

Well, a significantly nicer one that will have a Whole Foods and potentially a movie theater.

Also, the condo tower isn't cancelled, it's just being done by a different developer as a separate project. Last I heard it's still going to happen as planned.

Edited by Golyadkin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.blvdplace...etail_Plans.pdf

The blvd place website put a new site plan. The site plan still does not have the stores listed but it does look a little different which also include a 3 story anchor store I just hope they start this project soon

It seems the main changes are that the anchor store will replace what was supposed to be a movie theater and the third and fourth floors are now exclusively restaurant space. Seems like a good strategy, trying to get fewer big tenants than many small ones. Guess the smaller ones are less likely to expand?