BLVD Place Mixed-Use: 1700 Post Oak Blvd & Upcoming Development At 1800 Post Oak Blvd.

Subdude

The thing that gets me about that is that they say "...located at the intersection of Sky Lark and Post Oak Lanes..."

Why not say the intersection of Post Oak Lane and San Felipe? Nobody knows Sky Lark, and everyone knows San Felipe.

But I take it that's the new design of the residential tower. Certainly not as nice as the original. :/

• Like 1

I believe it means they're looking for people willing help to finance it through a loan (debt) and cash (partner equity.) Basically advertising investment opportunity.

But yeah, this building is... not a looker.

Edited by woolie

I believe it means they're looking for people willing help to finance it through a loan (debt) and cash (partner equity.) Basically advertising investment opportunity.

But yeah, this building is... not a looker.

Actually, after looking over their website, it looks like it means they have the partner equity already, but are looking for the debt financing.

Hanover's website replaced the rendering with "Coming Soon." I remember when ChannelTwoNews found the "Another Hines DT Project" rendering from an engineering company website involved with the project and they took it down. I don't understand why they publish it if they don't want anyone seeing it. I can understand the engineering company mistake, but not so much Hanover, unless it's an old rendering.

Edited by lockmat

Hanover's website replaced the rendering with "Coming Soon." I remember when ChannelTwoNews found the "Another Hines DT Project" rendering from an engineering company website involved with the project and they took it down. I don't understand why they publish it if they don't want anyone seeing it. I can understand the engineering company mistake, but not so much Hanover, unless it's an old rendering.

Well everyone said their rendering looked like shit, that is probably why they took it down!

• Like 1

I just figured out why that less than stunning Hanover tower is listed as Sky Lark Ln. and Post Oak Ln. rather than San Felipe and Post Oak Ln: It's not going on the site that we thought.

It's not going in the middle island thing created by Sky Lark Ln, San Felipe, and Post Oak Ln. It's going around the outside of the corner of Sky Lark.

From Swamplot:

hanover-blvd-place-revised.jpg

hanover-blvd-place-revised-skylark.jpg

You can tell it's also nicer than was initially shown, but on the second picture, the little park in the front left is the area that was originally set as the site for this tower:

hanover-blvd-place.jpg

This is fantastic news, IMO. I was wondering what they were going to do with that little strip of land, and this I think fits it perfectly. Also, it keeps that center block open for future development.

• Like 1

7263869540_523186dac5_z.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 3.53.05 PM by wools, on Flickr

Yeah, from the renderings, this is clearly going on the red lot above; the green lot will still be available for future high rises. Great news! And the new renderings look much better. Still not great, world-changing, visionary architecture.. but perfectly OK.

Also, amusing -- I guess they don't own that parking lot and no one would sell. It's in the renderings.

Edited by woolie

More pictures from today. Around 4:30 I saw a very large cloud of dust come up form the site. I imagine it was either the roof or a wall falling in.

DSC_1166.jpg

DSC_1169.jpg

DSC_1170.jpg

Is that where the psychic was located? I think that parcel was condemned by the city and was supposed to be public park but maybe Wulf bought it? Maybe someone here knows the details on this parcel.

I was under the impression that the park that was made there was put in so that the remaining house or two on that street could be forced to sell through eminent domain. From what I heard, the guy in the last house was demanding something like $2 million for his tiny house.

• Like 1

Is that the parcel that there was some sort of scandal about the city using eminent domain? I remember a big ruckus a couple of years ago and wasn't the end result that most of the parcel was going to be left as a city park?

Or am I thinking of the wrong development totally?

It's been awhile, but I think the psychic was located on what is now the east side of Skylark (in the area colored green in Woolies pic). I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the property taken by the city using eminent domain is the parking lot contiguous with the red area in the pic. Media reports said it was owned by 2 older guys, brothers, who said it was an investment they were counting on for a comfortable retirement.

I had a sense of deja vu when I read that. In buying up the land for Greenway Plaza, Ken Schnitzer (Century Development), had to deal with a homeowner who held out to the bitter end. In that case, the homeowner made out pretty good in the end. (Wikipedia cites him getting $350K, but from my recollection it was more like $450K. In any case, considering this was in the 70s, he did really well!)

While this explains the recent move to demolish the Pavilion, I'm still not sure what all this means for the overall BLVD place project. Ed Wulfe states in the article that selling 6.4 acres off to Apache allows the project to move forward this summer. This almost assures the project will be revamped in some major/minor way!

http://www.chron.com/business/article/Apache-Corp-buys-a-big-chunk-of-BLVD-Place-3603732.php

Isn't part of the new Apache parcel the same place Randal Davis wants to put up the Astoria?

Update: They are currently tearing up the parking lot between the area of the building they demolished and Post Oak. It looks like they are digging into the underground parking, which a while ago someone over at the Ed Wulfe offices said they needed to get rid of before they would be able to start working on the underground parking for Whole Foods.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to have any more pictures for you guys for quite a while. I'm leaving the country for 5 weeks in a few hours. Hopefully when I get back in July they'll be done with this and something constructive can actually start to happen on the site.

• Like 1

That makes sense since if they bought a third of the land. Is the land they bought inbetween the Whole Foods and the current building? I wonder if the new plans are on the blvd place website. Can't check on my slow bb.

That makes sense since if they bought a third of the land. Is the land they bought inbetween the Whole Foods and the current building? I wonder if the new plans are on the blvd place website. Can't check on my slow bb.

Nothing on the Blvd Place website about this so far.

I just went back to review Apache's expanded lease at Post Oak Central. They lease almost 1/2 million square feet. And they only signed up through 2018. That probably gives them a couple years before they need to start construction, but also tells us it would be a pretty substantial building.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Let's assume Apache stays in growth mode and that they'll need 600,000 to 700,000 square feet. In a single building with a typical floor plate, that would put it in the 5 Houston Center range (25-29 floors or so). However, if it's two buildings, then were looking at twins in the 15 floor range. Bleh.

Interesting.

That said, I'd prefer to see one trophy tower rise rather than 2-3 smaller towers as part of a complex in Uptown. Transco needs a northern neighbor.

purely speculation, of course.

Edited by swtsig