Subdude

BLVD Place / Hanover Towers / Apache HQ News & Pictures

This is the best I could manage:
gtv0b7s.jpg

They've been working for a few days, and it looks like they're putting down sand, and covering it in some black... stuff. They look like panels of some kind. They're thin, black, and have a lot of holes through them. Almost looks like they're doing some kind of temporary parking lot or something.

• Like 5

Looking at it this morning, it's definitely a parking lot. The black panels they were putting in had a bunch of holes in them, and they had workers last night go out and put red buttons in the holes in the shape of parking spaces. I'm not going to be home until much later today, so no pictures, but it is definitely a temporary parking lot they are building. My guess would be that it's for the Uptown Lighting.

Here's a picture of the panels. I wasn't able to get any of the buttons they were putting in, but they looked like red versions of the yellow ones in the middle of the road:
e2YwarR.jpg

yes the world has officially ended....as it seems that the Whole Foods Post Oak opens THIS THURSDAY!?!? haha!!! although my god it took forever after multiple delays i am glad to now have a whole foods on the same block i live on and 2 blocks from my work! yay!

• Like 2

Looking at it this morning, it's definitely a parking lot. The black panels they were putting in had a bunch of holes in them, and they had workers last night go out and put red buttons in the holes in the shape of parking spaces. I'm not going to be home until much later today, so no pictures, but it is definitely a temporary parking lot they are building. My guess would be that it's for the Uptown Lighting.

Here's a picture of the panels. I wasn't able to get any of the buttons they were putting in, but they looked like red versions of the yellow ones in the middle of the road:

I spoke to the on-site project manager this past Sunday regarding the site work.  He stated this blacktop is temporary parking that will be used for overflow parking for Whole Foods' grand opening "for only a couple of months".

He explained the holes in the black padding allows rain water to soak into the ground without any additional run-off and can be easily removed.  This eliminates the need for temporarily building a small retention pond for run-off. 

• Like 3

I spoke to the on-site project manager this past Sunday regarding the site work.  He stated this blacktop is temporary parking that will be used for overflow parking for Whole Foods' grand opening "for only a couple of months".

He explained the holes in the black padding allows rain water to soak into the ground without any additional run-off and can be easily removed.  This eliminates the need for temporarily building a small retention pond for run-off. 

I figured thats what the parking lot was for.

url-1.jpeg

whole heart...

i cannot wait to get to the seafood department for some fresh red snapper fillets.

wonderful illustrations triton!

• Like 2

I went by there at about 5:00 this evening, and the traffic flow into and out of the underground parking garage was well marked and relatively seamless. There were a lot of people in the store, but it wasn't packed. I'll second that the place is huge and very impressive. And monarch, I looked a few of those red snapper right in the eye...I think you'll like what you see.

• Like 2

I sat in the bar area this afternoon.  it was crowded and lively;  prices were quite reasonable also.  talked to some nice people, it was fun,  I think it's a very nice addition to the neighborhood.

• Like 3

Even though I can walk, I drove there this morning to do some shopping (unsure of how much I'd be lugging back home). The underground garage is pretty cool. There's a light above every space that is green when the space is empty and red when it's occupied. Really easy to visually locate a spot an go for it. Definitely something that should catch on elsewhere.

• Like 6

i was going to post about that as well Richfish! love that feature and it should be used more often in other parking garages etc! ps...love the store and agree its a great addition to my awesome neighborhood :)

• Like 1

Even though I can walk, I drove there this morning to do some shopping (unsure of how much I'd be lugging back home). The underground garage is pretty cool. There's a light above every space that is green when the space is empty and red when it's occupied. Really easy to visually locate a spot an go for it. Definitely something that should catch on elsewhere.

DFW Airport has that. Very helpful.

That building looks so high end !!! I really hope they move forward with the other high rise they had planned for BLVD place.

one of the rare occasions where the finished product exceeds the initial renderings.  i'm surprised at how much i like this completed compared to how i felt when i first saw the renderings.

• Like 6

one of the rare occasions where the finished product exceeds the initial renderings. i'm surprised at how much i like this completed compared to how i felt when i first saw the renderings.

My thoughts exactly.

The Verizon 2 story super-store opened up at BLVD Place yesterday fyi...lots of gadgets besides the usual phones and accessories...(its on the south east facing end of the Whole Foods portion along Post Oak Blvd)

• Like 2

Was there yesterday and visited the Verizon destination store and the Whole Foods bar/brewery.  Fresh brewed makes a big difference.  We need more of that here. 

Nice having the parking under the store.  A neat feature of the underground parking is that they have colored lights hanging over each space so you can see from a distance which spaces are open and which spaces are filled.

• Like 1

I'll have to check to see when the other store located next to Parvizian rugs closes down. That AmREIT site will be prime for that 40-story tower soon enough.

probably not as soon as you'd like...

it's interesting how new designs are utilizing passive cooling features like brise soleil; yet 800 bell will be stripped of its very modern (some would say timeless) fins.  the picture above is a beautiful building that takes its cue from a mid century design aesthetic.  as a city, we seem to be ok with tearing down existing mid century structures but love new buildings with similar features.

• Like 4

it's interesting how new designs are utilizing passive cooling features like brise soleil; yet 800 bell will be stripped of its very modern (some would say timeless) fins. the picture above is a beautiful building that takes its cue from a mid century design aesthetic. as a city, we seem to be ok with tearing down existing mid century structures but love new buildings with similar features.

Thank you. This style has been redone for a few years now (modernized), yet the originals get torn down. If current architecture can appreciate it, why aren't the classics be as beloved? I know this may only be a Houston problem. You don't see One Chase Manhattan being recladded...

Edit: I know it's a different style but I guess they did try to repaint the Willis Tower.

Edited by Montrose1100

There was a proposal a few years back about painting it a silver color, changing out the glass to a similar silver, and adding wind turbines/making it more energy efficient.

http://www.sustainable-chicago.com/2011/06/09/willis-tower-takes-solar-windows-to-new-heights/

You know when I read this I could have sworn it was about the Williams Tower and not the Willis Tower. I need new glasses.

Still it would be quite sad if they went through with it and changed the look of the building. 

According to this article, of the buildings 355 units a third of them have been leased out. The article also contains some some pictures of the units.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2015/01/09/sneak-peek-inside-hanover-post-oak-apartment-tower.html

It looks pretty nice! I shop at that Whole Foods all the time now - wish I could live there :P Edited by alternativemike

Is there any news  / rumor on the remaining sites?  Even with Apache on hold (or out... or whatever), there's still quite a bit of acreage left for development.  

Is there any news / rumor on the remaining sites? Even with Apache on hold (or out... or whatever), there's still quite a bit of acreage left for development.

Yep, still plots for 3 other towers..

I've heard that the new Whole Foods flagship store isn't doing as well as expected and that they have even gone as far as warning employees about possible cuts. Can anybody substantiate or add to this? Geez, it's only been open a little over 2 months.

• Like 1

I've heard that the new Whole Foods flagship store isn't doing as well as expected and that they have even gone as far as warning employees about possible cuts. Can anybody substantiate or add to this? Geez, it's only been open a little over 2 months.

I can attest to that! I live and work on post oak, so I go there daily and at different hours (open for breakfast, midday for lunch and night after work or just before close to grab something quick) etc and there are never more than 1 to 4 checkout lanes open and its always dead compared to any other store I have or do go to. honestly I am shocked but maybe we are more of a Randall's and HEB community than I thought! wow (for the record I love my whole foods!)

How long before they stop the beercycle?

haha! ps...I have only seen the cycle in use ONCE since it opened!!!

honestly I am shocked but maybe we are more of a Randall's and HEB community than I thought! wow (for the record I love my whole foods!)

Many people don't want to deal with a parking garage to get groceries. My guess.

My guess is it may just take time to catch on. It's a high traffic area, and when Eatzi's was there it was always busy. On the other hand, some people may be like me and avoid the area specifcally because of the traffic.

Possibly Barracuda. Hopefully WF isn't hurting so bad they don't last until the other 2 residential towers come to BLVD Place, and more people move into the current Hanover tower. Too bad work isn't happening (yet) on the Uptown BRT line. That would bring more people to the area

Unless you work within walking distance, why would anyone shop there? 

Traffic is terrible at all hours of the day and there's garage parking? No thank you.

It's only going to get worse when the Whole Foods on Voss opens in the former Randall's space.