BLVD Place Mixed-Use: 1700 Post Oak Blvd & Upcoming Development At 1800 Post Oak Blvd.

Subdude

more "details":

The project, however, is by no means a done deal and is likely contingent on a tenant to fill at least a large portion of the space, sources say.

"There is more interest in this market than I have seen over the last five to 10 years," said John Breeding, president of the Uptown Houston District.

The site that would be developed is several acres at the mixed-use project BLVD Place.

Officials from Wulfe & Co., developer of BLVD Place, had no comment on the Hines deal, but said they are talking to developers about the potential for office buildings, a high-rise residential tower and a boutique hotel at the project.

"In the last few months the market has really turned and the level of interest in our project and new development is probably as good as it's been in the last five or 10 years," said developer Ed Wulfe, president of Wulfe & Co.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7321800.html

• 3 weeks later...

From Golyadkin, on SSP:

BLVD Place has had some work going on for the passed few months. They recently installed a stoplight that will service the little road that goes through the middle of the project (which they named BLVD Place Drive. Seriously? Those are all the suffixes of actual road names.) They also put up signs around the site. The ones that go with any construction project: "The building in this picture is going up at this location" and some phone numbers for leasing info. In the passed 3 weeks, there were also surveying crews working on the site and some holes were drilled, although I have no idea what for. I drive by the site about ten times a day (I'm a delivery driver for a shop a block away, and I live across the street from the site), so nothing has escaped me. The project is definitely moving. As soon as the first bit of construction equipment shows up, I will definitely let you guys know.

Link

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the June 2010 building labeled "7" was supposed to be a movie theater. Guess that's gone.

Other than that and the garage changing shapes and the two towers becoming one, not much has changed. Although the rotunda from the original plans would have been awesome.

I wonder how the potential Hines tower would be included in this plan? I'm guessing it would RE-take the place of one of the lost towers, naturally, so maybe they'd revert back to similar plans from last year.

Also, the southern tower is the hotel, which is to include 100 condos. There's a lot of blue space to the south and north of the tower, I wonder if those will be 4-6 stories high to surround the tower and give it a better feel?

Cool! I was quoted from another site. ;)

The Ritz Carlton is one of those things that we probably won't know for sure until the building is done and the signs go up. Initially, it was going to be a 50+ story Ritz, then two 30+ story towers, then one 30+ story tower, then it was cancelled entirely, then they said it was going to happen, then they cancelled again. Now all we have is that there is a planned "luxury hotel" on the site.

One thing I like to see from all of the site plans is that the Hanover Residential Tower has not changed at all. That tells me those plans are pretty set, regardless of what the press releases say.

As for progress on the site, I can keep you guys updated daily as soon as something starts happening. Even more so in about a month. Right now, I'm in a unit in my building that on the first floor looking away from the site, but by the end of February, I should be moved into a unit on the 6th floor with a pretty good view over the entire site. Right now it's a giant field of grass, but, as I told SSP, the minute something interesting happens, I'll let you know.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have what I think is a reliable source that says they are supposed to break ground on the resi tower in June or July. They said this Hanover tower is their "baby" project and they really want to get it off the ground. It'll be under "close watch to make sure it turns out better than ever expected."

I have what I think is a reliable source that says they are supposed to break ground on the resi tower in June or July. They said this Hanover tower is their "baby" project and they really want to get it off the ground. It'll be under "close watch to make sure it turns out better than ever expected."

My fingers are crossed on that source.

Hanover sold the site as part of a national portfolio. It seems unlikely that Hanover would be involved again. You're probably confusing the news about the tower with news about the summer groundbreaking on the second phase of BLVD Place. And my source is Ed Wulfe, as of last month.

in the recent issue of 002, a rendering (seen earlier in this thread, i think) of a tower for this development was included.....ed wulfe notes...."We are talking to one high rise rental developer about a site on the property. I am also excited about talks with a hotelier about a boutique property as well." 002 article

.........this is exactly what niche is talking about.

Edited by bachanon

i've been under the impression that a residential highrise was back on the drawing board but niche is correct, hanover did sell the BLVD property in a portfolio dump. i was fairy confident that we would see the announcement of a major office development at BLVD Place in the near future but very recently heard that those plans may have been scrapped.... who knows at this point.

and what's the word with Whole Foods?

i've been under the impression that a residential highrise was back on the drawing board but niche is correct, hanover did sell the BLVD property in a portfolio dump. i was fairy confident that we would see the announcement of a major office development at BLVD Place in the near future but very recently heard that those plans may have been scrapped.... who knows at this point.

and what's the word with Whole Foods?

Phase II will include a limited quantity of office space and the Whole Foods. No highrises, though.

According to the BLVD Place website, Phase II will be done in 2012. It doesn't say what part of 2012 though. I just hope they get going on something soon. I just moved into my new place about a month and a half ago, and it overlooks the site, and however nice a big field is out your window, I'd rather have a Whole Foods, or at least some construction to watch.

Currently this is my view off of my balcony:

217132_950221766176_37526399_43641141_8080066_n.jpg

Hopefully, once they get working, I'll have some photos of it that are actually interesting (and don't necessitate me getting dressed to take them ;) ).

• Like 1

According to the BLVD Place website, Phase II will be done in 2012. It doesn't say what part of 2012 though. I just hope they get going on something soon. I just moved into my new place about a month and a half ago, and it overlooks the site, and however nice a big field is out your window, I'd rather have a Whole Foods, or at least some construction to watch.

Currently this is my view off of my balcony:

217132_950221766176_37526399_43641141_8080066_n.jpg

Hopefully, once they get working, I'll have some photos of it that are actually interesting (and don't necessitate me getting dressed to take them ;) ).

nice view. i look forward to your construction pics!

What are they planning on doing with the building housing the America's (and seemingly nothing else these days)? I ate there a couple weeks ago and it was pretty empty, and it's between Phase I and Phase II of BLVD place as far as I can tell. Are they going to demolish it or remodel it or just leave it?

Judging by the map on their website, it looks like they are going to demolish the pavilion and use the space for a traffic circle for drop offs/pick ups and part of the walkway between section 6 (the already built one) and sections 4 and 5:

gallery_723_64_24543.jpg

Edited by Golyadkin

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. I just had probably the 10 most enlightening minutes about this project.

As I mentioned before, I live across the street from the development. I noticed on blvdplace.com that the address for the leasing office is in the only structure currently built, and I was bored, so I decided to walk over and see if I could get any information about the project. I have no idea why I didn't do this sooner.

They were really happy to hear that this project actually has people following it and excited about seeing it go up.

Here's what I got from them (the big important things are in bold):

-In the next few weeks, they will be moving the temporary power supply for the Pavilion closer to the building, opening up the area for construction.

-Groundbreaking for Phase 1 (the Whole Foods and the little shops around it) WILL be in June.

-The residential tower (in the small block formed by Skylark and Post Oak Lane) will begin construction at approx. the same time as Phase 1.

-They are a little concerned about both projects starting at the same time, as there isn't really a lot of room their for trucks to coming and going.

-The Pavilion will be demolished in September.

-Construction on Phase 2 will begin before then end of this year.

-Construction on Phases 3 and 4 MAY being before then end of this year, and if not, than early next year.

-The project WILL contain a total of 3 towers: the residential tower, a hotel in the back, and the 10-story tower at the corner of BLVD Place Dr. and Post Oak Blvd. seen on the left in this rendering:

225277_978577461136_37526399_43867479_4938361_n.jpg

-Also, that rendering is apparently new. They told me that the render of final design for the exterior of the Whole Foods (that picture) was only completed last week. There was another view they had posted on their wall, but it isn't on their site, apparently.

For comparison, here's the old rendering of that angle:

228212_978581048946_37526399_43867511_149068_n.jpg

-The parking garage will being construction by the end of this year. It will be 7 stories tall, and MAY have an additional 2 stories for a gym at the top.

-The person I was talking to also made mention of one of the towers being 60+ stories tall, and quickly back tracked from it. He was probably thinking of the old plans, but I like to think that they are going to build something massive and just don't want to let anyone know. ;)

+1 for you. Thanks for the information! Very informative! Will it be a 2 story Whole Foods? Have they gone back to the Flagship Plan or is it still a smaller one? It looks pretty big from the rendering. The should have just eliminated the few parking spots they have at the front and bring the building up to the street.

• Like 1

As far as I know, it's still going to be the smaller Whole Foods.

I suspect the whole project is recessed from the street a bit because of the light rail proposals. Also, from what I read on the variance request from 2200 Post Oak, there is a city code that prohibits buildings from being within 15 feet of the property line alone a major road.

If anyone has any other specific questions on this project, I can go back in the next few weeks and I can ask them then.