BLVD Place Mixed-Use: 1700 Post Oak Blvd & Upcoming Development At 1800 Post Oak Blvd.

Subdude

This development is going to be totally massive if the Ritz specs are correct... which is exciting... but I'm with the other posters on the traffic issue though. I just don't see how this area can accommodate all the increased traffic that is on the way, it already is a total cluster ****.

And add a rail line chopping up intersections... Sheesh.

This development is going to be totally massive if the Ritz specs are correct... which is exciting... but I'm with the other posters on the traffic issue though. I just don't see how this area can accommodate all the increased traffic that is on the way, it already is a total cluster ****.

And add a rail line chopping up intersections... Sheesh.

DEVELOPMENT X heard a rumor earlier today that Whole Foods is exiting the BLVD. Place project. I, for one, hope this isn't true. As a strong advocate for this project, I think Ed Wulfe needs to announce the Ritz Carlton project ASAP as well as a new timetable for the Hanover apartment tower. Ed- please tell us that Whole Foods is not leaving- in fact, I keep hoping to hear that they will increase the size of the flagship from 78,000 sq. ft. to 89,000 sq. ft.

Also, aggressively sign a mix of exclusive, destination, high-traffic retailers like: H&M, Tootsies, Ralph Lauren Flagship (I've heard they are looking at sites in Highland Village)- maybe you should offer them a high-profile, architecturally interesting space to drive traffic; Barneys New York Flagship (I've heard they are scouting locations as well); maybe an upscale cinema similar to the Arc Light or the Bridge Cinema de Luxe from Los Angeles- with bar/lounges included in the theatres.

Think Big but start making announcements before the rumors drive potential deals to other multi-use projects coming on line in 2009-2010.

I don't really see Whole Foods abandoning the idea of a flagship in Houston (since there is not one here yet). If this "rumor" is in fact true, I would see them moving to one of the other mixed use developments, perhaps just down Westheimer. But then again, that get's awfully close to the Kirby location.

DEVELOPMENT X heard a rumor earlier today that Whole Foods is exiting the BLVD. Place project. I, for one, hope this isn't true. As a strong advocate for this project, I think Ed Wulfe needs to announce the Ritz Carlton project ASAP as well as a new timetable for the Hanover apartment tower. Ed- please tell us that Whole Foods is not leaving- in fact, I keep hoping to hear that they will increase the size of the flagship from 78,000 sq. ft. to 89,000 sq. ft.

Also, aggressively sign a mix of exclusive, destination, high-traffic retailers like: H&M, Tootsies, Ralph Lauren Flagship (I've heard they are looking at sites in Highland Village)- maybe you should offer them a high-profile, architecturally interesting space to drive traffic; Barneys New York Flagship (I've heard they are scouting locations as well); maybe an upscale cinema similar to the Arc Light or the Bridge Cinema de Luxe from Los Angeles- with bar/lounges included in the theatres.

Think Big but start making announcements before the rumors drive potential deals to other multi-use projects coming on line in 2009-2010.

I don't know how the tenant signings work. But why would they need to make official announcments? Do tenants COME to projects on their own, or are they 'RECRUITED'? If they're recruited, isn't the development company telling them who they've signed already?

I don't know how the tenant signings work. But why would they need to make official announcments? Do tenants COME to projects on their own, or are they 'RECRUITED'? If they're recruited, isn't the development company telling them who they've signed already?

A little bit of both, in truth, but the situational response to your question depends on which party you're asking.

man, i sure as hell hope that isn't true.... a flagship whole foods would KILL at BLVD place.

More on the rumors of Whole Foods abandoning Ed Wulfe's BLVD Place. Evidently, retailers across the street are telling people that Whole Foods has pulled out of the deal. If true, then this is a major blow for Ed Wulfe. Without Whole Foods, he has no new retail anchors on which to pull in all the high-end retailers needed to lease out the square footage.

If all of these rumors are true, then this might explain why the Ritz Carlton deal has still not been publically announced- 4-5 months after Wulfe suggested it would be disclosed.

The schematics of Whole Foods are no longer on Wulfe's website.

Hoping that someone can verify these rumors. For my part, I hope this is not true. I was the most vocal supporter of 2727 Kirby when naysayers insisted that the "plug had been pulled on the project" and look at it now.

I'd like everyone to check in with their contacts and clarify this issue ASAP.

Thanks

More on the rumors of Whole Foods abandoning Ed Wulfe's BLVD Place. Evidently, retailers across the street are telling people that Whole Foods has pulled out of the deal. If true, then this is a major blow for Ed Wulfe. Without Whole Foods, he has no new retail anchors on which to pull in all the high-end retailers needed to lease out the square footage.

If all of these rumors are true, then this might explain why the Ritz Carlton deal has still not been publically announced- 4-5 months after Wulfe suggested it would be disclosed.

The schematics of Whole Foods are no longer on Wulfe's website.

Hoping that someone can verify these rumors. For my part, I hope this is not true. I was the most vocal supporter of 2727 Kirby when naysayers insisted that the "plug had been pulled on the project" and look at it now.

I'd like everyone to check in with their contacts and clarify this issue ASAP.

Thanks

that is absolutely mind-blowing if true.... how could something like that fall through? it almost seems like wulfe would have to go out of his way to lose whole foods. the scope of this project, along with the location and the fact that houston doesn't yet have a flagship WF practically makes BLVD Place a lock to land one.

this is a HUGE blow if true.

that is absolutely mind-blowing if true.... how could something like that fall through? it almost seems like wulfe would have to go out of his way to lose whole foods. the scope of this project, along with the location and the fact that houston doesn't yet have a flagship WF practically makes BLVD Place a lock to land one.

this is a HUGE blow if true.

I looked on the Whole Foods website, under store development, and this location on Post Oak and San Felipe is still there. I am including the link to that page.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/newstores.html#tx

From the website:

Houston (Post Oak)

Whole Foods Market

Post Oak & San Felipe

Houston, TX

78,000 sq. ft.

Relocation. Opening date to be announced.

Does "Relocation" mean they are closing another store? Half the stores on the site have this while the other half just say the "opening date to be announced" part. Can anybody in the biz elaborate?

Edited by jayshoota

From the website:

Houston (Post Oak)

Whole Foods Market

Post Oak & San Felipe

Houston, TX

78,000 sq. ft.

Relocation. Opening date to be announced.

Does "Relocation" mean they are closing another store? Half the stores on the site have this while the other half just say the "opening date to be announced" part. Can anybody in the biz elaborate?

I know they just bought Wild Oats, so maybe they are restructuring. From what I've heard, its still a go.

More on the rumors of Whole Foods abandoning Ed Wulfe's BLVD Place. Evidently, retailers across the street are telling people that Whole Foods has pulled out of the deal.

If by "retailers across the street" you mean retailers at Post Oak Plaza -- haven't the owners of that location been trying to compete with BLVD Place for some time now? I think I remember something in the Chronicle a while back about competing for tenants. Could this be a deliberate misinformation effort? If a prospective tenant was choosing between signing a lease now in Post Oak Plaza and waiting a year or two for BLVD place, they might swing towards Post Oak Plaza if they heard the anchor was about to pull out of BLVD Place.

(I'm not suggesting that the rumor is right or wrong -- I'm utterly clueless -- just thinking about the source though)

If by "retailers across the street" you mean retailers at Post Oak Plaza -- haven't the owners of that location been trying to compete with BLVD Place for some time now? I think I remember something in the Chronicle a while back about competing for tenants. Could this be a deliberate misinformation effort? If a prospective tenant was choosing between signing a lease now in Post Oak Plaza and waiting a year or two for BLVD place, they might swing towards Post Oak Plaza if they heard the anchor was about to pull out of BLVD Place.

(I'm not suggesting that the rumor is right or wrong -- I'm utterly clueless -- just thinking about the source though)

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I've never heard that The Woodlands was to get a store.

Its still on there construction website to be coming Fall 2008. A Wild Oats, of course it got bought out by Whole Foods but its still up on it. Of course this site is notorious for saying really neat things are going to come, and then it folds. <just looked at the site again> And now its not listed.

blvd-place-whole-foods.jpg

Uptown residents have had a lot of fun speculating about just how enormous and feature-filled the new Galleria Whole Foods flagship store on Post Oak Blvd. will be. The Whole Foods website lists it at a massive 78,000 sq. ft. — though the page it’s on hasn’t been updated since last October.

But now from our mailbox comes this gushing report:

Rumors have been circulating

for the last week that
Whole Foods
has pulled out of Ed Wulfe’s
BLVD Place
development on Post Oak Blvd. The owners of a
prominent jewelry store
across Post Oak Blvd. have been telling people that the
deal fell through.

Is this just shopping-center trash talk? Or has something changed? Our informant provides more Boulevard Place and Whole Foods FUD:

(more…)

View the full article at Swamplot.com

blvd-place-whole-foods.jpg

It may not count as confirmation exactly, but we now at least have repetition — from two separate sources — that the new Whole Foods Market our readers have been worrying about will in fact be coming to the Galleria area.

The first source is the Chronicle’s Nancy Sarnoff, who — after interviewing Boulevard Place developer Ed Wulfe — states that a new Whole Foods will be the anchor of Wulfe & Co.’s new mixed-use development on Post Oak Blvd. . . . though it won’t open until 2010.

The second source is . . . a little unusual. We’ll tell you about it in our next post.

Boulevard Place Whole Foods image: DMJM H&N

View the full article at Swamplot.com

I hope the above is true but based on some comments i've read on this forum regarding Nancy Sarnoff's lack of accuracy, i question if her information can really be trusted.

I hope the above is true but based on some comments i've read on this forum regarding Nancy Sarnoff's lack of accuracy, i question if her information can really be trusted.

Nancy is far from perfect, but my experiences in dealing with her have been far better than with her collegues. It's the difference between a small specific error or lack of grammatical clarity and having what you've said torn apart, words reconfigured, meanings butchered, all within what was supposed to be the safety of quotation marks.