This looks great. Indeed, a lot is going in Uptown: this project,  new development at Fashion Square, expansion of Uptown Park, a new high-rise hotel between Montebello and Villa d' Este and so on. Uptown is going to look a lot different a few years later.

Where exactly is this project going up? Is this the Wulfe project are we talking about two different projects. I am not sure the area can sustain two of these massive projects at the same time.

It is interesting to see all the residential growth in this area. The office product has suffered for year and rental rates lag behind most of the other sub markets in the city. I guess people would rather live in Uptown than work there.

Another interesting fact is that not a single office building has been built in the Galleria in 20 years. I believe Transco (Williams) was the last office tower completed. Maybe all this residential growth will lead to more office development. A few new buildings would really help fill in the "skyline" of uptown.

Where exactly is this project going up?  Is this the Wulfe project are we talking about two different projects.  I am not sure the area can sustain two of these massive projects at the same time. 

It is interesting to see all the residential growth in this area.  The office product has suffered for year and rental rates lag behind most of the other sub markets in the city.  I guess people would rather live in Uptown than work there.   

Another interesting fact is that not a single office building has been built in the Galleria in 20 years.  I believe Transco (Williams) was the last office tower completed.  Maybe all this residential growth will lead to more office development.    A few new buildings would really help fill in the "skyline" of uptown.

Riva Place and Wolfe project are the same although I dont know if Wolfe project would be similar to the rendering of Riva Place or something entirely different. I think this would happen at current location of Pavillions. I may be wrong but the development at Fashion square would be another project but if I am wrong it may be part of whatever would replace Pavillions. Now, I know there is a rumor that the strip mall across Fashion square would also be demolished for yet another project from a rival builder. I dont know what would that be.

You are right, kz. I don't think there is really any indication that the Wolfe project will look anything like the "Riva" renderings, since those were published in connection with an earlier proposal for a redevlopment of the Pavilion by a group called something like "Urban Resort Properties." It seems like Wolfe's plans may not be far enough along to have renderings. I suspect they are shopping their general concept to prospective retail tenants and prospective office, hotel, condo, and apartment developers, and will generate physical plans and renderings once they have a better handle on what is feasible.

You are right, kz.  I don't think there is really any indication that the Wolfe project will look anything like the "Riva" renderings, since those were published in connection with an earlier proposal for a redevlopment of the Pavilion by a group called something like "Urban Resort Properties."  It seems like Wolfe's plans may not be far enough along to have renderings.  I suspect they are shopping their general concept to prospective retail tenants and prospective office, hotel, condo, and apartment developers, and will generate physical plans and renderings once they have a better handle on what is feasible.

Too bad, i really like the Riva look.

but right now almost anything would be a great addition.

Does anyone know what the market is like concerning potential commercial developement? In other words, yeah, build the complex, BUT will it be used or sit half empty?

m.

The real life development probably will not look like that, but I'm sure it will still be pretty cool. They are planning on "several hundred high rise residential units", as well as a hotel, so, this will probably still be a significant addition to the Uptown skyline.

The Riva was a concept. I think it is completely dead now. The Wulfe proposal was in the same concept as the Riva. It will probably not look at all like it. From any article I can find on Wulfes project, it seems like a lot of the chips are falling where they need it. The land and buildings are bought. Any existing retailers are being offered tennant spaces in the new project. Wulfe is also trying to work with them to phase the commercial aspect of the project so that the retailers don't have to be close for extended periods.

The prospects for this project are good enough that a competing developer is trying to do this to the land on the east side of Post Oak (where Lines and Things is).

He wants to build a retail center with residential and possibly office space also.

With their competition (aka piss match), I hope they get moving on building their projects. Anything would be better than what currently occupies these sites in Uptown.

i wonder if wulfe & co will consider the increasing need for pedestrian friendly design in this area. it would be great if the project would embrace the uptown tirz improvements. many new developments do not include direct pedestrian crosswalks and connectors from the sidewalks on the street to their new pedestrian areas.

i wonder if wulfe & co will consider the increasing need for pedestrian friendly design in this area.  it would be great if the project would embrace the uptown tirz improvements.  many new developments do not include direct pedestrian crosswalks and connectors from the sidewalks on the street to their new pedestrian areas.

Bachanon, I totally agree. I work in Post Oak Central (three black Phillip Johnson buildings across from Magiano's). There are plenty of places to eat in the near vacinity of my office, but I never go because I do not want to drive and certainly do not feel like crossing Post Oak. A cross ramp over Post oak would be amazing.

or even the less expensive designated crosswalk with red lights/sensors in highly populated zones. centers that have a large amount of people (post oak central, for instance) contain pedestrians (or potential pedestrians) who do not want to walk to the nearest intersection (which could be quite a distance) to get across the street. in order to create a more concentrated, people friendly area cars will have to "take a back seat". pardon the pun.

At Post Oak and San Felipe they could stripe off the entire intersection and have a 15 to 30 second cyle in the light so where all direction have red lights; then the pedestrians can walk across the intersection in any direction they want.

I think New York has a couple of these. I know they have them in Japan and China.

At Post Oak and San Felipe they could stripe off the entire intersection and have a 15 to 30 second cyle in the light so where all direction have red lights; then the pedestrians can walk across the intersection in any direction they want.

I think New York has a couple of these.  I know they have them in Japan and China.

they have several of these "diagonal crosswalks" in old towne pasadena, ca. they work really well when you have a lot of people.

haven't seen them in nyc...

here's a story on them

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How the hell do you guys find this stuff?????

How the hell do you guys find this stuff?????

Ive looked up many of these projects and have yet to find pictures for them - certainly all of you cant work for these developers and the architects involved?

i wonder if wulfe & co will consider the increasing need for pedestrian friendly design in this area.  it would be great if the project would embrace the uptown tirz improvements.  many new developments do not include direct pedestrian crosswalks and connectors from the sidewalks on the street to their new pedestrian areas.

The pedestrian will be very well considered. The project is will make Riva Place look like child's play. Seriously, Wulfe's project will be unlike anything we've ever seen in Houston.

Citykid - I was a member of this forum shortly after it was formed! I stopped checking out posts about 2 years ago, and then decided I would see what everyone was up to.

I was only kidding - but it seems people here know a lot more than just about anywhere else. I assume some of you either work for architectural firms, or developers, or the CITY and get information like this long before others.

• 1 month later...

This project sounds really interesting. It could lead to a partial renaissance in uptown, with the recent rail proposal. I think definitely think the developer should go urban, ala Rice Village, but with residential units and even greater retail and commercial density. Buildings with proximity to the street can't help but attract attention.

I've been hoping escalating land prices would push developers in this direction, and it seems it has. Now, if we could just get some park space to complement the increased density. The land adjacent to Hildago would be perfect, especially if HISD puts a school there too.

just fyi, that rendering above is years old and was only of the Saks site (you can see the cafe Annie / eatzis center to the right). Although the development will be mixed-use and very dense, this is not it. looks cool though

And they are working on something like this for downtown, the Houston Pavillions (mentioned in another thread somewhere).

just fyi, that rendering above is years old and was only of the Saks site (you can see the cafe Annie / eatzis center to the right).  Although the development will be mixed-use and very dense, this is not it. looks cool though

And they are working on something like this for downtown, the Houston Pavillions (mentioned in another thread somewhere).

Something like it... I just hope the one in downtown is better. :)